• Total voters

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    For twenty years I was a Air Traffic Controller. I loved that job.

I ended up, after a few years, to being a electrician in construction work. I enjoyed that work as well. I enjoy tools and like to play with them so it let me do that a lot...LOL

I liked that fact I was always sent to different work sites and doing different kinds of work.

I also enjoyed working in a pawn shop and a number of gun shops.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I like mine for the most part. I've been there 28 yrs, in a few different positions. $ is OK, short drive from home, most of the people are OK too. I get in a rut every once in awhile,(which makes me lazy and waste time), so i've been trying to take on some different things every now and then.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Job??? What's that? I've been looking in earnest for over a year now and in all my life have never had this much trouble finding a job. Folk don't seem to want to hire a dependable, seasoned salesperson/marketer with tons of life experience to draw upon. They want some young person fresh out of college who will work 60+ hours a week for little to nothing and live to work for them rather than work to make a living. How does a 50 year old compete with that???

I was in the aerospace/automotive/industrial construction industry as a QC inspector for some 14+ years and I really loved the work, but physical demands caught up to me. I was VERY good at it too. 16 years in Sales/Marketing and now, I just want a job where I can make a positive difference in the lives of those around me, save for retirement, and make a living. Maybe that's the problem, those jobs don't exist. I don't know anymore...

BACON...

mister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Fairmount, IN
    I love most of my job, but I hate my title, and I'm still getting used to the major changes that came with this gig.

2007-2010, toured the county playing music, had a great time every single day, did whatever (whoever ;) ) I wanted, whenever I wanted, made enough to have more fun the next day, but never enough to provide a solid foundation for even a rainy day fund. Now I sit behind a cubicle for 8 hours M-F. 90% of my co-workers are women above the age of 55, I'm (almost) 23.

I am in no way complaining about any of this, I'm thankful to have a job which has allowed me some security, and some extra money to do the things I care about, I hate that I've had to all but give up on a dream though.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    [FONT=&quot]I hate my Job[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My job is so unbelievable. I'll try to sum it up by first telling you about the folks I work with:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]First, there is these super model wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big dog to work. Every day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single day.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Anyway, I drive these ***** around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****.[/FONT]

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    [FONT=&quot]I hate my Job[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My job is so unbelievable. I'll try to sum it up by first telling you about the folks I work with:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]First, there is these super model wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big dog to work. Every day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single day.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Anyway, I drive these ***** around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****.[/FONT]
    SnackRepped, Scoob.
    (Greatest post in the thread)

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Hate my job, supervisors, coworkers, office people but It could be alot worse atleast Im working and making decent pay so I can support our economy one gunshop at a time

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I love what I do, and I mostly love the company I work for, which is pretty amazing when you consider I work retail. I have two AASs in Website Design and Software Applications Development, and I *choose* to work retail (the customers are WAY better).

There are only two things I don't like about my current situation:
    1) My previous manager flat out told me I had to dumb myself down to work there. Specifically, my vocabulary was too esoteric. :rolleyes: Sad thing is, after almost six years there, I think I've finally managed to do it.

2) While I was starting to come to terms with the fact that I can't move up in the company unless I go up the retail management tree (I'm currently the stockroom manager at our store, and to move up, I'd have to spend more time out on the floor), my current manager can't accept that I want to continue training as a retail manager and puts all his effort into trying to encourage another supervisor to go up the management tree. She has REPEATEDLY expressed disdain for our company and has no desire to move up. The ONLY reason I was able to take the next training program was because he wanted this other supervisor to take it, too. He got it for her, even though I was the one pestering him about it.

I love what I do, and I love the company overall, but I don't love my current boss. There's no opportunity for growth where I am now, unless I move to Seattle (where the corporate headquarters are), but I make too much money to move to another opportunity.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I fill out electronic templates describing how someone screwed something up and either why it's acceptable or how to fix it.

It's a combination of Groundhog Day and Office Space.

The upside is that no one really bothers me, so I can do other things that actually interst me while I'm here at work, and I pretty much so get to set my own hours.

I've been doing the same job over and over for long enough, that I can pretty much get a whole day's worth of work done in about 45 minutes. That leaves plenty of time for reading, surfing the net, and pondering life's mysteries.

While I don't hate my job, I sure as hell don't jump out of bed with a zeal for clerking 1s and zeros around through the ether.

Every once in a while something will come along that actually interests me. In my 10 years here I've had one project to work on that I was actually excited about.

The people are decent, as long as I can avoid the really annoying ones.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I'm voting no.

The people I work with are awesome for the most part, local management is GREAT. But my supervisor recently got word he was being relocated. I really enjoy what I do, its different every day, in and out of peoples homes, from the extremely wealthy, to the extremely poor. Neat freaks, to hoarders. Bible thumpers, to stoners/alcoholics/convicted felons. Its awesome, but its physical work, in the dead of winter and heat of summer. Im 22 years old and go home sore sometimes the way it is...I CANNOT do this job in 20 years...so Im always looking for something new.

The company I work for is horrible though. They always want more for less, recently announced shift changes. We didn't meet last years goals, so they made the goals for this year harder.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have to go with BACON because my full time union job sucks while I don't pretend to be smart I can be dead tired from 70+ hours of work I can still out think and work 60% of them. Now as for the job in my sig line well I wish I could afford to put all my time into that job.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Insurance claims are really a lot simpler than most think. First you determine if the claim is legitimate and needs to be paid. If it does you determine the amount(s) of damage and when that amount is agreed upon you ask the insurance company to pay the claims.

Generally I feel like I'm doing a service and helping people solve thier problem using someone else's money.

How much better can it get than that.

Of course the fact that I'm still sort of retired makes it even better.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I vote no. I don't care in the slightest about the industry I work for. The company seems to be going downhill. And I am maxed out at my job. No chance of advancement. I've been here 7 years. I also just moved to a new house which doubled my commute. Finding a new job can't come soon enough.

Jason

Top Bottom