• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I sold my horns. Had a bach and a King trombone, wish i wouldve held onto the king. I played bari, tombone and tuba in highschool. I recently picked my guitar back up again after a couple years of neglect. In a weird rock/metal phase right now, highly unusual.

biggest difference in tone on my horns was changing from the stock mouthpiece to the wide shaft 4G. A good low brass section can make some beautiful tones.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I still play my coronet, like a trumpet but smaller, it is the only one I owned. Others were rented from the school I went to, High School. I would need to practice a lot to get my lip back in shape but I do still do a bit of practice to remember how to read the music.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I played cornet in high school, trumpet at Purdue and in dance bands around the state for 15 - 20 years. Still have my Benge trumpet and Bach shepherd's hook cornet. Tried guitar for a while, couldn't really get into it. I do have a couple of nice Martins though.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I played cornet in high school, trumpet at Purdue and in dance bands around the state for 15 - 20 years. Still have my Benge trumpet and Bach shepherd's hook cornet. Tried guitar for a while, couldn't really get into it. I do have a couple of nice Martins though.
    Yeah, my old coronet isn't a very nice one, Mom bought it for me at a pawn shop. It sounds decent though and I do like to play it but I would really need to play it a lot to get my lip in shape to play it for any audiences. I played in Middle School, Jefferson in Champaign, IL) and High School (St Joe-Ogden, IL again) and at Eastern Illinois University before I transferred to the University of IL in Urbana-Champaign, IL where I finished out my Bachelor degree (BS in Soil Science). Wasn't able to play at the U of I though because I had to het a job and didn't have the time. I kept it though and kept doing some practice with it because I love the sound of it. I wanted to get a trombone with valves but never had the money for one.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Trombone - since 1970. Bought my own Conn 88H in high school, have an old King with a 1914 patent date and the tuning slide on the playing slide, and the pawn shop Yamaha student model (silver plated) that I got for the youngest (the only one to stick with it long enough to get into marching band). Still playing in the local community band. Was in the off-season OSU marching band back in the day, but not the football season band - they didn't accept slide trombones back then. Also was in the Youngstown Youth Orchestra long ago. Learned alto and tenor clef in high school, but not sure I could still read it.

Autoharp - not enough time or skill to learn guitar, so autoharp was it. Needed something to play around campfires at work. Since about 1981. Stays in tune for about 20 minutes, or until someone opens a door.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    All this talk about coronets reminds me of my dad's silver-plated Olds that I played in high school. Loved that horn. He still has it, I think.

I play a little piano, too. Or, used to. Won't claim to be good at either.

My wife used to play piano and violin. She hasn't touch either in years, though.

Top Bottom