• Do the feds keep 4473 info?

• Total voters

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I was a dealer in the early 90's. After I closed, I sent all my 4473's to BATFE as required. About 2 years after that I was served a subpoena to produce records relative to one of my transactions. I contacted the DA's office, and explained to them that all records had been turned over to BATFE. I was told not to appear, and never heard another word. Guess they got what they were looking for elsewhere.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    The BATFE scans and retains all 4473 that out of business dealers send to them, don't know why people wonder if they do it as they have published that info in the past

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yep, as I recall Congress withheld funding for the ATF a few years ago to force them to quit tabulating the data. Doubt that had any effect on "accumulating" the data. I am sure they are not disposing of ANY data they consider relevant to tracking gun ownership or where the firearms are (except the ones they lose in their "sting operations"). Fortunately most data over 10 years old is useless due to the private, untraceable sale and transfer of firearms. Of course they tried hard to eliminate this problem for themselves by trying for the Universal background check, this could have let the Government compile a far more accurate list of Gun owners (quite handy if confiscation becomes a goal). This was one of the major reasons I was dead set against this action.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    It was my understanding that the shop keeps the specific firearms model information but the feds or any LEO can ask for the info anytime. Ive heard that soon the 4473 will be done online and be sent directly to the feds and if thats true then they have all the info they need so no need to stir the pot politally and talk about registration and what not. I personally believe one way or another they know.:tinfoil:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I imagine they do but regardless as the FFL must retain 4473s for 20 years IIRC the info is theirs for the asking.

Top Bottom