• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Asking about guns for depressed suicidal people is just plain stupid..... I don't hear of Docs asking about if someone has a rope.....I know one teenager an one co-worker that hanged themselves with a rope.....you going to kill yourself an don't have any guns....you still going to be able to do it...all this crap is about spreading the anti-gun agenda...period.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The AAP has taken the position since 1992, that the absence of guns from children's homes is the most reliable and effective measure to prevent firearm-related injuries in children.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/105/4/888.full
    I'm sure this is true - Of course if you remove all stairways, it is the most effective way to reduce falls on stairs, remove all poisons (including prescription medication) is the most effective way to reduce accidental poisonings. Never ride in a vehicle would be good too as it reduces the chance of an automobile accident. For that matter remove all foods, pets etc. to reduce allergies. Of course you still have electrical - surely you can reduce accidents if you get rid of all power and -- gas -- and and - IN OTHER WORDS - that statement is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The other issue is that their survey (up to 24 years of age)
    obviously includes many gun related deaths which are most likely gang fight related. The white - non-Hispanic trend line is quite low and trending even lower! I'm sure they would prefer these deaths were rifle, shotgun, knife or ball bat related rather than handgun :>). Statistics can and are manipulated to "prove" what the person wants to prove.

Eskion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Hammond
    I hate stuff like this. If my kids' doctor asked if I have any guns in the house, I would politely ask "Do you ever masturbate in the shower? Oh, none of my damn business? Same to you."

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I've never thought about it. 99% of my visits seem to have me removing my shirt or pants and my holster is in the open. Docs and nurses may glance at it, but never inquired other than the occasional question "What do you carry?"

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    Living is Dangerous. Automobile's account for 100% of auto accidents, should the government then Ban autos and force public transportation. Snow skiing, extremely dangerous and the potential goes on and on. Big Gulps are Banned in NYC, come on, excess regulation is not the American Way

Trans Fats Banned In NYC, Fat Trannies Still OK.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I'm sure this is true - Of course if you remove all stairways, it is the most effective way to reduce falls on stairs, remove all poisons (including prescription medication) is the most effective way to reduce accidental poisonings. Never ride in a vehicle would be good too as it reduces the chance of an automobile accident. For that matter remove all foods, pets etc. to reduce allergies. Of course you still have electrical - surely you can reduce accidents if you get rid of all power and -- gas -- and and - IN OTHER WORDS - that statement is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The other issue is that their survey (up to 24 years of age)
    obviously includes many gun related deaths which are most likely gang fight related. The white - non-Hispanic trend line is quite low and trending even lower! I'm sure they would prefer these deaths were rifle, shotgun, knife or ball bat related rather than handgun :>). Statistics can and are manipulated to "prove" what the person wants to prove.

Agreed. There are liars, damned liars, and Statisticians.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    This is where I have the advantage, i have shot at a few matches with my doctor and gone to more than one gun show with him, although he has much more money than I you would never know it:D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Use your wallet.
    If the doc asks the question, ask if he's a shooter/has guns?
    You can do that without answering the question.
    If he won't answer, take your business to a doctor that has a similar hobby :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would just leave it blank. If they asked me why, I'd simply tell them I choose not to respond. End of discussion. If they want to force the issue, change doctors.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I would just leave it blank. If they asked me why, I'd simply tell them I choose not to respond. End of discussion. If they want to force the issue, change doctors.

.......and the most sensible post upon the subject, to date.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Asking about guns for depressed suicidal people is just plain stupid..... I don't hear of Docs asking about if someone has a rope.....I know one teenager an one co-worker that hanged themselves with a rope.....you going to kill yourself an don't have any guns....you still going to be able to do it...all this crap is about spreading the anti-gun agenda...period.

You are absolutely wrong. The primary reasons for asking this question under the above circumstance is assessing self-harm risk and professional liability if not asked and the person follows through. When a person reports they are suicidal there are other follow up questions to ask, assess, and take actions which can include notifying authorities to seek involuntary hospitalization or family member notifications. The same process is used if someone threatens to harm others.

The reason firearms is focused on is that they are the easiest and most common way is the use of a gun especially for males and certain occupations. Believe me, you want that information if it is one of your family members.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Shouldn't they just assume that everyone has a gun in the home and give out simple materials that show why it is important to keep guns in a safe manner in the home. Make it a standard blurb in the well being checkup. Besides if we as a country as imagined by our forefathers we should all have a gun or two anyway!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    After thinking about it, and the way I answered my question, Im going to give the doctor the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasnt meant to be bad (But Im not just leaving it at that though, I will be contacting the group my doctor is with about this question being an invasion of privacy).

My answer when asked if I had guns in my house was "There is nothing in the house that my kids can gain access to that can hurt them." Obviously, a kid can hurt themselves on ANYTHING, they are kids. Heck I got some adult friends that could hurt themselves on anything and nothing (thats not the point). But the way I answered it, I feel told the doctor that "If" I have guns in the house, they are in a secure location.

As far as changing doctors, that wont happen. He is our family physician, has been most of my wife's life, the last 8 years of mine, and both of my kids. As a family physician that practices outside a hospital, he stayed with us through the night to make sure he could deliver my daughter, thats how committed he is to us. I wont drop him that easy, as he is the best doctor I have ever had. Period.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Just another seeminly inoccent question to gain personal information that may be used against you. I do not answer those questions. I write in does not apply.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Here is an article from 2011 that explains what has been happening.

Florida Law Bans Doctors From Asking About Guns - ABC News

Interesting to hear MDs basically saying "parents need us to tell them how to be safe with guns".:rolleyes: How many of them actually KNOW anything about guns, and why don't they just provide "Eddie EAgle" videos or coloring books for children?--I forgot, they don't know anything about the NRA either.
    The notion that proper gun storage is relevant to a newborn infant exam (who can't lift it's head yet, let alone crawl, and just sleeps 16hrs a day) shows their level of ignorance.
    Maybe we need to counsel them on being SAFE MDs? After all, "medical mistakes etc" result in 100,000 fatalities a year.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Most of you are a little paranoid. The health care providers, whether doctors or nurses, are simply assessing home safety. Most of them are NOT firearms owners so they are no different than the majority of sheeple in society. By that I mean they blindly follow the guidelines promulgated by a bunch of do-gooders, who happen to be doctors on policy panels. The type of doctors who end up on such panels often are there because they're not very good at taking care of patients or they have political agendas.
    That being said, no one is collecting that data for the government, like all information you give a doctor it is protected (save direct threats to self or others).
    Answer the question any way you want. Don't over react. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    What about asking if you have laser pointers? A teen here in indy just permanently damaged one of his eyes with one last week? There's no "paranoia" in folks not wanting to disclose such information. If it's recorded it can be misused. Tell them you used to have some but there was this boating accident. It's a bs question written by anti-gun people.

Top Bottom