Doctors Fight the NRA Over Gun Safety (Yahoo Article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    These doctors, they need to stick to practicing medicine, not social or political issues. Kinda like "reverends" who spend all their time spinning politics. JMHO.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about this compromise: Doctors can talk all about whatever they want to with their patients, but they are forbidden by law from recording anything about their gun ownership, possession, purchase, sale, trade, lend, lease, transportation, or storage habits in any record.

And if that becomes verbotten as trodding upon the doctors' 1st amendment rights, then they can record them, but it becomes illegal for them to divulge them to anyone, especially any unit of government, without a specific type of court order, unique and separate from your ordinary search warrant, and illegal for any one to view them, especially agents of the state, without said court order.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Hard to tell, because they used 25 years old as a cutoff. Using 2010 numbers, the number of murders by the use of a firearm was around 11,000. For 2010, suicides through use of a firearm were about 19,000. One of the "Mind Blowing Facts Nobody Told You About Guns" courtesy of Cracked.

It's sad that statistics have been misused by some to the point where nobody trusts them. They can be useful for the examination of any issue.

Be carefull about the statistics you quote. Most commonly reported is homicides, not murder. They are not equivalent, although the antis use them that way. Murder is just one component of homicide - as are police action shooting, self defense, and accidents.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My doctor asked me if I had guns in the house when I took my daughter for a check up. I said, "No." It's none of his business and unless he owns an stores firearms himself then who is he to tell me how to do it? This is a new question. He never asked it when my older daughter was that age.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Be carefull about the statistics you quote. Most commonly reported is homicides, not murder. They are not equivalent, although the antis use them that way. Murder is just one component of homicide - as are police action shooting, self defense, and accidents.

Thanks for noting this. You're right, the 11,000 number (from CDC) was for "homicides" not "murders". I don't know the components of that number, but my recollection is that they do include the self defense, police and accidental/negligent shootings.

CDC also for the 19,000 number for suicide by firearm (out of a total of 38,000 suicides vs. 11,000 homicides where firearm used, and inclusive of the various components).

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How about this compromise: Doctors can talk all about whatever they want to with their patients, but they are forbidden by law from recording anything about their gun ownership, possession, purchase, sale, trade, lend, lease, transportation, or storage habits in any record.

Uhm... no. Next idea?

I hate to tell you, but it's not entirely your medical record. It's also my journal of how I practice medicine. I'll write what I want, thanks.

the AAP has 1300 active members. That's 26 docs per state. Blah blah blah.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The AMA has nothing to do with people dying. I am not a member of the AMA. Never have been, never will be. We don't need straw-man arguments. The proper argument is to outlaw physicians as the cause of the death as they suggest outlawing guns.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My doctor doesn't ask about things that have nothign to do with my or my families health. She doesnt ask about baseball bats, knives, bathtubs, gas grills, and other things regarding personal safety. Her concern is our health - not safety. That's one of the reasons I go to her. The best reason is she's a good doctor and usually diagnoses problems quickly. However, if she were to ask about items regarding personal safety I would politely decline answering as it's none of her business. Yes, she can write down anything she likes in her journal otherwise known as my medical record, but she'll never get personal information from me that has nothing to do with my or my family's health.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I absolutely love having discussions with people about writing things down in their record. They want me to not document things like they didn't call their family doc before coming to the ER. Or that they were drinking alcohol, or texting during the accident, etc...

sure dude, I'll fraudulently do my job to help you out of a jam :dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I absolutely love having discussions with people about writing things down in their record. They want me to not document things like they didn't call their family doc before coming to the ER. Or that they were drinking alcohol, or texting during the accident, etc...

sure dude, I'll fraudulently do my job to help you out of a jam :dunno:

Your friendly, neighborhood med mal defense attorney agrees with you.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Have you ever just wished doctor's would shut their ****ing mouths and just work at their jobs? I do all the time. They're like celebrities. Very good at their jobs but when It comes to politics they aren't any better than anyone else

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Return of a three year old thread! Unfortunately the fight over stupidity never ends. If doctors dislike firearms because they are unsafe, ban cars as more people are killed in them, and how about banning vans and large trucks as they seem to be the latest weapon of mass destruction.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I haven't run into this with my Doctors. I have a general practitioner, a dentist, and a cardiologist. They're all conservatives, against Obamacare, and one of them enjoys fishing and hunting. Have never talked about guns with any of them or been asked, other than a brief discussion of hunting and fishing trips. If I did feel infringed upon, I think I'd find a replacement. From my experience, I seems like finding a pro-gun doctor would have about the same chances as finding any other pro-gun person in the general public.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've fired a.doctor before for being anti-gun. They work for us. If they are an jerk or anti gun and tell me then they're gone.

This is what we all need to do more. Put yourself in control and surround yourself with like minded people.
    We should not be subjected to this unless we choose to be. JMHO.
    I am lucky enough that my Doc. understands. If he did not I know where the door is. I walked in through it.

Top Bottom