Does a DUI make me ineligible to become a LEO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    The subject is pretty explanatory. However, five years ago I was charged with a OWI and plead guilty. I have been wanting my whole life to become a LEO and I think I ruined my chances. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    It's going to depend on the specific department to determine if it explicitly rules out your chances, but best a it places you in a tough spot with the background checks. I'd recommend calling the recruiting officer or public information officer at the department(s) of interest and see what they say. I have heard of some departments hiring officers in similar circumstances, with good track records prior too, and subsequent a short period of bad decisions that resulted in severe traffic offenses or short/one time drug use; but it varies by department.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    above. It will not disqualify you with IMPD, people make mistakes. They will however scrutinize the rest of your background looking for a trend. As long as it was an isolated incident I would not get discouraged. When it comes up in the interview show that it was a mistake and a learning experience and how you learned from it. We are not looking for angels. We would never find enough canidates.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You will have a better chance of getting on a smaller department than a larger department. Lots of people avoid the smaller PDs and focus solely on the larger PDs (usually more opportunity, better pay/benefits, etc.). However, if you go the smaller PD route first and can deal with anything from horrible to livable pay, that would go a long way to helping land an LEO job with a larger agency. Some PDs are 100% no DUIs. I heard it actually isn't a rule per se with the department, but the insurance companies that some municipalities use give breaks for having no municipal vehicle drivers with a DUI conviction.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You will have a better chance of getting on a smaller department than a larger department. Lots of people avoid the smaller PDs and focus solely on the larger PDs (usually more opportunity, better pay/benefits, etc.). However, if you go the smaller PD route first and can deal with anything from horrible to livable pay, that would go a long way to helping land an LEO job with a larger agency. Some PDs are 100% no DUIs. I heard it actually isn't a rule per se with the department, but the insurance companies that some municipalities use give breaks for having no municipal vehicle drivers with a DUI conviction.

My experience has shown the exact opposite of most of the above statement.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thought it was a prerequisite:D

But seriously, if it was really a one time lapse in judgement and your past is otherwise unblemished, you probably have a shot, so long as you can display you are a person of good character deserving of the public trust.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    STATISTICS:

If 5-7 % of all males and females are homosexual: Then 5-7 % of all truckdrivers, Ironworkers, Plumbers, cops and Navy seals are statistically gay also. Also no more than 7% of hairdressers are gay. Statistics can prove or disprove anything. One thing about it is going to be true: if 10% of the population has a DWI than 10% of LOEs are on the average going to have one over a period of time and as time goes on the more likely it is to be true. So a few say 2-3 out of 100 officers end up with one it would really be a much better than average But add enough time into the equation and it wil happen. People make mistakes. Now if the percentage of the population goes down.....

Talk to a lawyer, On the first one you could have got as little as a deferment, no time, and got is off your record in about 2 years or less. So if you have gone more than 2 years with no further convictions get it off the record. It cost money to do this of course.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    STATISTICS:

If 5-7 % of all males and females are homosexual: Then 5-7 % of all truckdrivers, Ironworkers, Plumbers, cops and Navy seals are statistically gay also. Also no more than 7% of hairdressers are gay.
    That is not how it works.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    STATISTICS:

If 5-7 % of all males and females are homosexual: Then 5-7 % of all truckdrivers, Ironworkers, Plumbers, cops and Navy seals are statistically gay also. Also no more than 7% of hairdressers are gay. Statistics can prove or disprove anything. One thing about it is going to be true: if 10% of the population has a DWI than 10% of LOEs are on the average going to have one over a period of time and as time goes on the more likely it is to be true. So a few say 2-3 out of 100 officers end up with one it would really be a much better than average But add enough time into the equation and it wil happen. People make mistakes. Now if the percentage of the population goes down.....

Talk to a lawyer, On the first one you could have got as little as a deferment, no time, and got is off your record in about 2 years or less. So if you have gone more than 2 years with no further convictions get it off the record. It cost money to do this of course.

As for getting the record exponged, it won't matter as far as getting a job as a LEO. They will still be able to see the charge and conviction and the applicant will be asked about it on a polygraph screen as well as on the application and/or background questionnaire. If the applicant were to answer "no" when asked if he had ever been convicted of OWI, believing that the exponging of the record erased the history, then he'd be booted out of the hiring process lickety split.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have found through my multiple background/clearance checks that it is always always always best to own up to any hiccup from the past right off the bat. They (background investigators) are usually willing to be a little more understanding to minor mistakes if you are sincere in the fact that it was a one time mistake and not a trend.

They like honesty, own up to it right away. And good luck!

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    I've been told (so take it for what it's worth) that a diabetic or someone with high blood pressure will be ruled out more quickly than someone with a DWI.

Yeah, as much as I would have liked to have been in the Military or Law Enforcement, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 15. From what I understand I wouldn't pass the physical if trying to be a LEO. Can't even get a CDL. Stupid since I'm actully very healthy and suffer no complications almost 15 years later.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I know LEO's on the Fort Wayne PD and Troopers that had prior DUI's and still got in. It seems your getting some fact and opinions here. Just own up to your mistakes and I'd say your chances are about the same based on the rest of your interviews and app info.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Highlighted for cordex...

Sure it is...
    Bad math can "prove" that 1=2.
    Bad statistics can "prove" whatever you want.

That doesn't mean that good math can prove 1=2 or good statistics can prove whatever you want.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a job in law enforcement, even someone from the department. If you really want the job, you must apply and go through the process. Don't try to hide anything. On the polygraph they may ask you about illegal drug use and thefts that you have committed. Like someone said. They aren't looking for saints, but they won't abide liars.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah, what mike said. I told them things on my polygraph that even my wife didn't know. Then the investigator spilled the beans to her when he came to the house...:):

Top Bottom