Does a DUI make me ineligible to become a LEO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    don't expect to work for the DNR. they can be and are as choosy as it gets. something like 2 openings in the last 3 years... other LEA's you could prolly stand a good chance. I say go for it. we need more good cops.

Bad math can "prove" that 1=2.
    Bad statistics can "prove" whatever you want.

That doesn't mean that good math can prove 1=2 or good statistics can prove whatever you want.

details, details.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a job in law enforcement, even someone from the department. If you really want the job, you must apply and go through the process. Don't try to hide anything. On the polygraph they may ask you about illegal drug use and thefts that you have committed. Like someone said. They aren't looking for saints, but they won't abide liars.

Which is ironic considering cops lie while performing their job all the time.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This thread is about him wondering if he is eligible to become a LEO. If you can't help him out, you don't need to post in here saying negative things about LEOs.

Thank you..

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I can't speak for sure about your situation, but my brother got into the IMPD training and he had a DUI charge when he was 18. After that he went military for 12 years and then was approved for training at the IMPD at 30 right out of Army. He dropped out of the course after a few months because he got a job offer he couldnt refuse, but they never made a complaint about his conviction of DUI.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    As an Army Recruiter, I can tell you that a DUI will disqualify you for Military Police on Initial Entry...

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I think today you would have a harder time than in the bast due to the number of applicants for postitions (think thousands), HOWEVER, I also know quite a few LEO's with DWI's

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I think today you would have a harder time than in the bast due to the number of applicants for postitions (think thousands), HOWEVER, I also know quite a few LEO's with DWI's

To the OP you are going to have one HELLUVA time getting in almost any dept out there. EVERYONE wants to be a cop now because they think the field is job security when in fact LEA's have lost hundred and thousands of officers through the country due to the economy. If you dont have time in the military and a degree and some volunteer work then you need to get started on all three ASAP. trust me

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    To the OP you are going to have one HELLUVA time getting in almost any dept out there. EVERYONE wants to be a cop now because they think the field is job security when in fact LEA's have lost hundred and thousands of officers through the country due to the economy. If you dont have time in the military and a degree and some volunteer work then you need to get started on all three ASAP. trust me

I have a degree and while in college I volunteered regularly with the many homeless missions in Bloomington. I feel like I owe to myself to at least give it a shot so I can't look back and say what if.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have a degree and while in college I volunteered regularly with the many homeless missions in Bloomington. I feel like I owe to myself to at least give it a shot so I can't look back and say what if.

I think you answered your own question with this statement. If it's something you really want to do, then apply and put your best effort forth in the hiring process. Maybe you will get hired, maybe you won't; at least you'll not look back at it with regret. Keep in mind that LE hiring processes are very competitive with hundreds of applicants usually for only a few open positions. If you don't succeed at first, keep at it as long as you have the desire.

grammy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    I say go for it and if there are issues, cross that bridge when you get to it. Sure people will discourage you along the way, but I know people have done a lot worse and LEO now.

Top Bottom