Does anyone else simply ignore "What's your bottom dollar?" PMs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    just curious. Is it okay if I ask how far over the agreed upon price you're willing to go at the meetup? If that's cool, you're being fair.

Good point Moosehead.
    I was thinking the same thing. I had a guy offer me more for an item that I was selling after I already had an agreed price from someone else. I told him it was already spoken for, but if the deal fell through I'd let him know.

Whould I be a Jackwagon if I met up and said "Hey I have a higher offer, if you still want it you have to match the price?"
    Of course I'd be a Jackwagon even though "I would just be trying to improve my financial situation"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good point Moosehead.
    I was thinking the same thing. I had a guy offer me more for an item that I was selling after I already had an agreed price from someone else. I told him it was already spoken for, but if the deal fell through I'd let him know.

Whould I be a Jackwagon if I met up and said "Hey I have a higher offer, if you still want it you have to match the price?"
    Of course I'd be a Jackwagon even though "I would just be trying to improve my financial situation"

Yep. An agreement is an agreement. Decades ago this would include a handshake and be done with it. Somehow over the years that lack (and now inability) of that handshake seems to cloud the issue. Seems there are some here that see the lack of face to face handshake agreement as an implicit acceptance of changes after the fact. Nope. If you say "I'll take it" all that is left to haggle over is when/where/how far do each of you drive. There should be no mention of changes to the financial aspect unless the item isnt as advertised. Plain and simple.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Unless I'm sure I'm happy with the price, I try to agree to a place/time to meet up without agreeing in advance to complete the deal. I prefer to negotiate in person, but I try to be clear about that up front.

Once a deal is made, I'm not going to ask you to change it. That is--at best--bad form.

And back to the original topic: the rule requiring a price be listed in WTS ads means I've already named a price. If you ask me to bid against myself, I'll bump up my ask a few bucks and then repeat how I described the price in the ad (either firm or OBO).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless I'm sure I'm happy with the price, I try to agree to a place/time to meet up without agreeing in advance to complete the deal. I prefer to negotiate in person, but I try to be clear about that up front.

Once a deal is made, I'm not going to ask you to change it. That is--at best--bad form.

And back to the original topic: the rule requiring a price be listed in WTS ads means I've already named a price. If you ask me to bid against myself, I'll bump up my ask a few bucks and then repeat how I described the price in the ad (either firm or OBO).

I am not going to take any of my time and travel to "Make the deal"
    That is just me.My time is very valuable. If you want what I have listed we can do any negotiating on the phone.
    Once a deal is arrived at the FTF part is next. If you try and re-negotiate I will leave. I would not do this to anybody and expect the same in return. If you state as much in the deal and I agree to that then yes, we will move forward but I never do.
    When I post something up the price is always more than fair. The piece is described and usually well represented in Pics. Questions are answered in a timely manner.

Some folks are just compelled to get that extra $10 knocked off the price. It is a win for them.
    If I see something I want and agree with the posted price I will respond I will take it and then work out the details.
    A few times I have made offers but never ridiculous low balls.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    One of the first questions that the salesperson always asks me is if I have a trade in.

So lying to a salesperson is a morally superior position than that of someone who asks a very simple yes or no question as they are counting out the money to hand over to you as they are purchasing your firearm??

Whatever my friend :wow:

Buying a car 101:
    You never tell them you have a trade-in until you get the best price :ugh:

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I think some of you might be confused as to what I'm saying. I'm certainly not there going to haggle with you on the meet up and try to "Jew" you down. I'm don't think anyone would ever do that, but one never knows. But if a man asks me one time if that's the best price I see no problem. I simply have to answer yes or no. If they seem like a decent person and they are on time and I have room I come down. To me that's the decent thing to do. The good Lord has been good to me and if I can help someone else then I should. I'm not there to make a huge profit or any profit for that matter but to simply share something that I've enjoyed with someone else. In fact I don't ever remember making any money on a firearm. I think 99% of the time I've lost my arse. I don't get so butt hurt I can't walk straight for a week over it and I certainly wouldn't come on an internet forum and complain about them like they was the scum of the earth. Like I said earlier it isn't anything personal when someone asks it's just business. Not that I'm all that but I wouldn't automatically assume that because someone drives a $52000 truck that they have tons of money. I certainly don't know nor I would ever assume someone's financial well being by the automobile they are driving. For all I know they may have borrowed that vehicle to get there because their's may or may not make the trip.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There's a pretty clear line here. Renegotiation due to misrepresentation or something found during the inspection of an item is one thing. Trying to pay less once they meet you because you think they'll accept it because they're already there is a douche nozzle move.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just to be clear. If I see something in the classifieds and it looks like a decent price I will send you a PM and say I will take it, where can we meet. At that point technically I have agreed to pay that amount. I'm not going to try to stand there and haggle with you. I'm just going to ask you. Technically I've agreed to your asking price. I have the money in my pocket we technically agreed upon which is your asking price. When I show up to make the deal don't get all butt hurt if I ask you if that's your bottom dollar. You all have your quirks and I'm allowed mine. I'm just saying if someone asking you if that's your bottom dollar when you meet and makes you butt hurt and sore then you should put me on ignore.
    I think you "technically " just made it on a few no deal lists.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think some of you might be confused as to what I'm saying. I'm certainly not there going to haggle with you on the meet up and try to "Jew" you down. I'm don't think anyone would ever do that, but one never knows. But if a man asks me one time if that's the best price I see no problem. I simply have to answer yes or no. If they seem like a decent person and they are on time and I have room I come down. To me that's the decent thing to do. The good Lord has been good to me and if I can help someone else then I should. I'm not there to make a huge profit or any profit for that matter but to simply share something that I've enjoyed with someone else. In fact I don't ever remember making any money on a firearm. I think 99% of the time I've lost my arse. I don't get so butt hurt I can't walk straight for a week over it and I certainly wouldn't come on an internet forum and complain about them like they was the scum of the earth. Like I said earlier it isn't anything personal when someone asks it's just business. Not that I'm all that but I wouldn't automatically assume that because someone drives a $52000 truck that they have tons of money. I certainly don't know nor I would ever assume someone's financial well being by the automobile they are driving. For all I know they may have borrowed that vehicle to get there because their's may or may not make the trip.

Many here DO see a problem. By the time you are standing FTF with the other INGOer you have already committed to the price and the only thing left to do is to hand them the agreed upon money and they hand you the item in return. Nothing more, nothing less. . To try to even mention a lower price absent undisclosed quality issues with the item is a breach of trust and possibly contract. Once again, "ill take it" locks you in to the price on the screen. Unless you see something wrong when you inspect the item at the meetup, ANY attempt to adjust the price, no matter how polite is bad form. Unless there is a problem with the item, shut up and hand them the money you agreed on. Anything else is slimy. If you want to ask if they can come down, that needs to happen here BEFORE you commit to the deal.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

uh be careful around here with slang terms. People get buthurt easily. I got reported once for using a common term for the Japanese, and people don't even like them as well as the Jews and I know one guy around here that takes Jewish talk very very personal. Just trying to help

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have missed opportunities because someone puts up a FIRM price then drops it less than a week later.

I pay attention to the 1st firm but offer on the 2nd.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    HaHa I'm not sure if I will ever buy anything off of here again anyway. It would actually make life easier for me if everyone ignored my request when the sickness sets in. Always need just one more ya know. Just one more, never mind the safe is full I can surely put one more in there and that looks like a great deal. Some of you have to know what I'm talking about? But I made deal on here and someone stuck me with a firearm that won't cycle and it wasn't a cheap POS either. And it ain't like like every once in awhile it fails to cycle, it's more like pull trigger, clear, pull trigger, clear and on and on and on. Apparently it's a high dollar POS. What the heck is a person gonna do with that? Can't trade it or sell without screwing someone. I can't do anything with it. Nothing. I'm stuck with a high dollar paper weight. So yea there's much worse things that can happen and I will never feel guilty for asking after this has happened to me. Someone asking a person one time if that's the best deal they can get is small fry, not even worth a whiff or worry. There's much more to be concerned about when your buying something. So yea I'm more than a little bitter and don't really give a crap. And yea you can bet your arse I'm gonna ask you because for all I know your selling me another POS and I want the best deal I can get when I'm buying your paperweight. And anyone of you are welcome to stop by my house and check it out. Nothing like shooting a single shot high capacity. It's literally a thrill every 15 seconds.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hmm... I have never put anyone on a no deal list. Is that the same as the ignore list? I have never put anyone on that either. What happens when you add someone?
    I don't have anyone on ignore, I'll read any stupid crap someone wants to post. There is only one person here that I've sworn to never deal with until now. This guy is number 2.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    HaHa I'm not sure if I will ever buy anything off of here again anyway. It would actually make life easier for me if everyone ignored my request when the sickness sets in. Always need just one more ya know. Just one more, never mind the safe is full I can surely put one more in there and that looks like a great deal. Some of you have to know what I'm talking about? But I made deal on here and someone stuck me with a firearm that won't cycle and it wasn't a cheap POS either. And it ain't like like every once in awhile it fails to cycle, it's more like pull trigger, clear, pull trigger, clear and on and on and on. Apparently it's a high dollar POS. What the heck is a person gonna do with that? Can't trade it or sell without screwing someone. I can't do anything with it. Nothing. I'm stuck with a high dollar paper weight. So yea there's much worse things that can happen and I will never feel guilty for asking after this has happened to me. Someone asking a person one time if that's the best deal they can get is small fry, not even worth a whiff or worry. There's much more to be concerned about when your buying something. So yea I'm more than a little bitter and don't really give a crap. And yea you can bet your arse I'm gonna ask you because for all I know your selling me another POS and I want the best deal I can get when I'm buying your paperweight. And anyone of you are welcome to stop by my house and check it out. Nothing like shooting a single shot high capacity. It's literally a thrill every 15 seconds.

I had a similar issue where a deal was almost to good to be true. The seller kept saying all sales are final and was just acting a little screwy. Got home to my range and the gun wouldn't function. After tearing it down and finding a spring not connected it operated as it should. I messaged the seller letting him know I didn't appreciate his dishonesty and that the firearm now functions as it should.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I get more annoyed with people asking me to hold an item until payday than I do the lowball offers. Sellers want to sell, not run a layaway. With that being said if you price your item fairly people will usually have no reason to lowball you.

Top Bottom