Does anyone have experience with the Bersa Thunder .380 Plus?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EFriesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Lawrence County
    I borrowed one for a basic pistol course a very long time ago and remember liking it, and like the idea of small concealable DA/SA guns. The plus variant is double stack and thus is fatter, easier to grip/shoot, and has more capacity obv. I've heard some about Bersa's reputation for poor quality control but was hoping to get some more anecdotes. What are your thoughts?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had a friend that really liked his. Shot well but you could get a 9mm about the same size and be able to get a wider selection, and CHEAPER, ammo. I’ve never owned a Bersa but for the price they seem ok. I’m sure others will know more.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have Bersa's in .380acp, 9mm, and an oddball .32acp.
    None are the plus variant, but all of mine have been flawless.

Midwestjimbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    I loved my 380 plus. 100% reliable on all 380 ammo available at the time. Also had a Thunder 9 which was good also. I wasn't impressed with the performance of the 380 ammo available for self defense.

EFriesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Lawrence County
    I had a friend that really liked his. Shot well but you could get a 9mm about the same size and be able to get a wider selection, and CHEAPER, ammo. I’ve never owned a Bersa but for the price they seem ok. I’m sure others will know more.
    I actually did not know there was a 9mm version... this is good news...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I didn’t mean a Bersa 9mm, not sure one actually exists or not. I meant you could buy a 9mm roughly the same size. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
    Colt556:
    Don’t know if he’s gonna be able to answer. Was on line when he posted but now, come’s up as “sorry we’ve had some problems “…. :dunno:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I was gonna welcome him to INGO, when I checked to see if I missed him I found out he’s not here, at least for the moment.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Never had one, but I've always considered them to be poor man's PPK's. I like the looks, and they seem well made, from the ones I've handled anyway. Good luck!

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    i've had several of them over the years. I have a Combat model now and i really like it. for the price it is a very decent handgun. i've can't remember having any issues with reliability.
    i consider it a good inexpensive EDC gun. small enough to put in coat pocket or a small of back holster.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've had a couple over the years and several single stack models. All were reliable as the Walther design tends to be.

If I were to want a double stack .380 in traditional DA/SA today I would look at Girsan. I have one of their Beretta 92 clones and it is just about equal to the Beretta.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had a couple over the years and several single stack models. All were reliable as the Walther design tends to be.

If I were to want a double stack .380 in traditional DA/SA today I would look at Girsan. I have one of their Beretta 92 clones and it is just about equal to the Beretta.
    I've wondered about them. The LGS owner thinks highly of them. He has a pretty good selection of them. Said they sell fast, and he's not had one complaint or problem with them.

Top Bottom