Does anyone have experience with the Bersa Thunder .380 Plus?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EFriesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Lawrence County
    I borrowed one for a basic pistol course a very long time ago and remember liking it, and like the idea of small concealable DA/SA guns. The plus variant is double stack and thus is fatter, easier to grip/shoot, and has more capacity obv. I've heard some about Bersa's reputation for poor quality control but was hoping to get some more anecdotes. What are your thoughts?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had a friend that really liked his. Shot well but you could get a 9mm about the same size and be able to get a wider selection, and CHEAPER, ammo. I’ve never owned a Bersa but for the price they seem ok. I’m sure others will know more.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have Bersa's in .380acp, 9mm, and an oddball .32acp.
    None are the plus variant, but all of mine have been flawless.

Midwestjimbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    I loved my 380 plus. 100% reliable on all 380 ammo available at the time. Also had a Thunder 9 which was good also. I wasn't impressed with the performance of the 380 ammo available for self defense.

EFriesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Lawrence County
    I had a friend that really liked his. Shot well but you could get a 9mm about the same size and be able to get a wider selection, and CHEAPER, ammo. I’ve never owned a Bersa but for the price they seem ok. I’m sure others will know more.
    I actually did not know there was a 9mm version... this is good news...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I didn’t mean a Bersa 9mm, not sure one actually exists or not. I meant you could buy a 9mm roughly the same size. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
    Colt556:
    Don’t know if he’s gonna be able to answer. Was on line when he posted but now, come’s up as “sorry we’ve had some problems “…. :dunno:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I was gonna welcome him to INGO, when I checked to see if I missed him I found out he’s not here, at least for the moment.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Never had one, but I've always considered them to be poor man's PPK's. I like the looks, and they seem well made, from the ones I've handled anyway. Good luck!

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    i've had several of them over the years. I have a Combat model now and i really like it. for the price it is a very decent handgun. i've can't remember having any issues with reliability.
    i consider it a good inexpensive EDC gun. small enough to put in coat pocket or a small of back holster.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've had a couple over the years and several single stack models. All were reliable as the Walther design tends to be.

If I were to want a double stack .380 in traditional DA/SA today I would look at Girsan. I have one of their Beretta 92 clones and it is just about equal to the Beretta.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had a couple over the years and several single stack models. All were reliable as the Walther design tends to be.

If I were to want a double stack .380 in traditional DA/SA today I would look at Girsan. I have one of their Beretta 92 clones and it is just about equal to the Beretta.
    I've wondered about them. The LGS owner thinks highly of them. He has a pretty good selection of them. Said they sell fast, and he's not had one complaint or problem with them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom