Does it make sense to consolidate to a single caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I've been thinking I wanted to consolidate my hand guns down to a single calber (9mm) but I would like some thoughts on the pros/cons of such a move. Thanks

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It depends on why and how you use your guns.

If they are just defensive tools then consolidation is a good move.

If you like having various toys to shoot at the range then varying calibers enhances the fun.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Pros - You will only have to worry about buying/reloading one caliber.
    Cons - You will have to get rid of several guns.

Consider getting a drop-in barrel -- if possible -- for as many as you can to avoid replacing your guns. That way, you can always go back to the larger calibers if you want.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I am currently sticking with 2 calibers for my carry weapons. I carry a P94 Ruger 40 S&W. My wife's range gun is a Ruger LC9 9mm that I just bought as I would probably carry it as well and she doesn't like shooting my big Ruger very much.

I also have a Mossberg 500 and a Ruger 10/22 rifle. The 12 gauge is mainly just for home protection and the odd chance that I go kill a deer. The Ruger 10/22 is for fun at the range and its dirt cheap to shoot.

As others have said if you are just wanting to keep guns for protection I would say to get 1 caliber. If you are also wanting to go shoot quite a bit at the range I think it is more fun with different calibers.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you are happy with 9mm both as for SD and your range gun(s), then it makes sense. 9mm is the cheapest of the major calibers, so it is easier to build a stock.

You were probably excluding them, but even if you are consolidating calibers, I'd have .22s around as well. You can't beat them for cheap fun.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I consolidated my handguns down to two calibers. 9mm to scare them and .45 to knock'em down. Still a lot of possibilities for variety in those two calibers.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have 4 calibers, .22lr, .32acp, 9mm, .45acp. I carry 9mm and .45, my wife carries the .32s and the .22 is for fun. I don't see a problem with it but I am still building my collection so I anticipate many more calibers coming in the future. I really want a .44 magnum for some reason.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    It makes sense to do anything different than the mess of calibers I feel like I have! :) I have my shooters, and then some that just make a cameo to the range here and there. I like to keep ammo for all, but the amount varies for how much I shoot each rifle. Some popular calibers "make sense" where as some don't.... Example my nagant revolver. Just my .02!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you have any plans to consider possible SHTF scenario/occasions...then sticking to the most common calibers (9mm and .40) will most likely ensure that you don't run out of ammo anytime soon....but other than that if you just like going to the range and have fun, there's not really a major advantage to consolidating....only thing may be cheaper ammo in 9mm if that's really a concern

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If you have any plans to consider possible SHTF scenario/occasions...then sticking to the most common calibers (9mm and .40) will most likely ensure that you don't run out of ammo anytime soon....but other than that if you just like going to the range and have fun, there's not really a major advantage to consolidating....only thing may be cheaper ammo in 9mm if that's really a concern
    You are leaving out .22 Not sure why. It is very plentiful

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    At the end of the day (and assuming we're not in a SHTF environment) I'm not sure that it matters unless your shelf space is at a premium. My storage space tends to reflect what I like to shoot. My bedside gun is a 45, and I'm pretty sure there's a law that everyone needs a 1911, so you need a shelf for some 45. And 9mm costs half as much to shoot whether you buy or reload, so you need a shelf for 9. And then you have a bunch of 22, but that doesn't take up that much room.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I need to clarify. Rifle calibers that I own are .223 and .22lr. I have handguns .22lr, .38, 9, .40, and .45. I also have some rifles in 9mm. My thought was to eliminate .40and.45 and concentrate on 9mm. Thanks for all the input so far.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I need to clarify. Rifle calibers that I own are .223 and .22lr. I have handguns .22lr, .38, 9, .40, and .45. I also have some rifles in 9mm. My thought was to eliminate .40and.45 and concentrate on 9mm. Thanks for all the input so far.

Why? Do you need to liquidate the non-9mm's for some reason?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    No but the thought is, instead of buying 1k rounds of each, I could buy 3k rounds of 9, and it would cost less.

I'd just buy 3k of 9mm, and wait until a good deal comes along on the other cartridges, and/or shoot them a bit less. :dunno:

ETA: FWIW, Every time I've had the idea to "consolidate," I've regretted it. There are a bunch of guns I got rid of in the name of consolidation I'd love to have back.

Top Bottom