Does it make sense to consolidate to a single caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been thinking I wanted to consolidate my hand guns down to a single calber (9mm) but I would like some thoughts on the pros/cons of such a move. Thanks

I did this very thing. I EDC a 9mm. And I always kept a .45 in the bedroom as a house gun. But, my wife couldn't shoot it. The .45 was something she couldnt handle at all. But she could shoot the hell out of my 9mm, the Glock 19.

So I sold the .45, and bought another 9mm. A M&P 9c. Now, there's always a 9mm in the house for my wife. Ammo is cheap, so it's easier to stock up. And I can shoot all weekend without going broke.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    A few years ago I had the same idea. I wanted to consolidate to 9mm. However, one situation convinced me to keep at least one other caliber for HD/CCW.

It was hard to find 9mm in stock for many months at the local store, and I could still find plenty of .40 S&W. I could not even find enough 9mm ammo locally to go to range for practice without going to a more distant gun shop and paying too much for 9mm. I actually traded a 9mm pistol in for same model in .40 just to give me more options. You probably remember those days... the 9mm hoarders were cleaning out store shelves and causing high prices. So in my situation I decided it best to keep at least one other pistol in another caliber so as to not get caught un-stocked in ammo.

This ammo shortage may never happen again, but just in case it does I'll be keeping one pistol in .40 or .45.
    ---
    GB!

Last edited:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    A few years ago I had the same idea. I wanted to consolidate to 9mm. However, one situation convinced me to keep at least one other caliber for HD/CCW.

It was hard to find 9mm in stock for many months at the local store, and I could still find plenty of .40 S&W. I could not even find enough 9mm ammo locally to go to range for practice without going to a more distant gun shop and paying too much for 9mm. I actually traded a 9mm pistol in for same model in .40 just to give me more options. You probably remember those days... the 9mm hoarders were cleaning out store shelves and causing high prices. So in my situation I decided it best to keep at least one other pistol in another caliber so as to not get caught un-stocked in ammo.

This ammo shortage may never happen again, but just in case it does I'll be keeping one pistol in .40 or .45.
    ---
    GB!
    I remember the 9mm ammo shortage very well. I standardized on 9mm for our defensive firearms when my wife and I got started shooting.
    The 9mm never quite disappeared. It was available (sometimes at premium prices) if you were willing to look. Heck, it became kind of a game to hunt for ammo, or be at the store when "the ammo came in!"
    But you are right...40S&W seemed to be more readily available during that period, but not in any great quantities..at least from my perspective.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I switched my personal pistols to .40 S&W last year. Even traded the same model gun in 9mm for one in .40. It just sort of worked out to switch to .40, though if I were to do it again I think 9mm would have been a better choice. But I have not regretted the decision. Now I only have to buy one cartridge for the pistols. In this same spirit my revolvers are .38 special, shotguns are 12 guage and rimfires are .22 LR. It is now much easier to keep shells for all of the guns especially when the budget gets a little tight.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I say the more the merrier...up to a point. I re-load everything for handguns that I shoot(except .22, trying to figure that out). I try to stick to just a few cartriges. Currently .40S&W 44mag 357mag 38spl and I rarely shoot 9mm and have enough loaded to last a long time. I enjoy the process of reloading so it doesn't bother me very much. I probably wouldn't buy another handgun that is not one of those calibers. It would require me to buy dies, brass, bullets, and possibly cases to handle a different caliber...not worth the investment with the coverage that I currently have.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It depends.

If you plan to collect or shoot for fun, then no.

If you have firearms for self defense only, like my wife and I do, then yes.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this! But again like you said it depends. If you decide to consolidate to 9mm or .40S&W then lot of gun models are chambered in both. For example they make and I could own either a 9mm or .40S&W version of every pistol I own. So I can collect and shoot for fun and also consolidate.

Now if you are talking about collecting revovlers, historic handguns or different 1911s then this might not be true. (Although there are 9mm revolvers and 1911s, but you "catch my drift".)

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I don't see any reason to consolidate. I just buy and shoot more 9mm and 22lr than any other calibers. Every once in a while I get out a box or 2 of the other calibers for fun.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I have thought about this as well. I am pretty new to firearms so I have wondered if I should stick with the 12ga and 9mm I have or spread out into other calibers. I know those calibers are limited in range, but do I really have a need to go past 100-150 yards when living in an urban area? Probably not. Do I need to spend 2x the price on pistol ammo to get what is probably not 2x more effectiveness in a ".4x" caliber? Probably not. What I like about 9mm is that it is cheap enough to plink with a bit and effective enough to be a defensive round as well. 9mm firearms come in all types of varieties from the smallest micro9 ketec to carbines with 16in barrels like the beretta cx4 or even an AR with the 9mm conversion. When you add in the versatility of the 12ga that I also stock, I cover a lot of ground with just two calibers.

What might be good, as others have suggested, is to stick with firearms that have 9mm conversions, buy 9mm in bulk and keep small inventories of the other calibers (.40, .5.56, etc) on hand if you would ever need/want to use them.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ive thought of doing this same thing in the past, would deffinatly save some money. But I just have a hard time parting with my guns

This. i go back and forth. I have a .40 that I really love and so making that move has been hard for me. On the other hand, I was just starting out now, I would go all 9mm I think. How much do you love your .40 and .45?

I also agree that it might be good to have at least 1 gun in major calibers in case ammo becomes scarce and you happen to come upon some that isn't 9mm.

there was a comment too about having just a bit of ammo in the other calibers but concentrate on the 9. I think that is a good idea.

Do you have to get rid of the others to fund your 9 affair? Otherwise, I might hang on to them...just in case....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I myself consolidated all my autos to 9mm and .22LR. I only had one .40 and sold it and all the ammo. One reason being is as others have stated, reloading. I do also have a couple of revolvers, .357 magnum and .22MWR. I will also be reloading .357 magnum eventualy.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I am consolidating down to .22 and .45, with a single 9mm and a single .40 that I will hang on to for emergencies or ammo resupply purposes, or just variety.

I'll be getting rid of the 10mm, because I never did shoot the dang thing, and the other 9mms I have.

I am doing the same with my rifles, will have a .22, then will concentrate on .308; with a single .223 and 7.62x39 rifle (and maybe a 30.06 if I keep the garand), and of course, a 12ga.

Makes reloading easier, and will make it easier to stockpile just a few calibers instead of half a dozen or more.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've branched out a little since I started, but I like to have something that shoots all the common military/LE calibers, and some other common ones like .22 and .380. SHTF, I want to be able to use just about any ammo I can "acquire" if (unlikely) I run out, or if I luck into a quantity of something. Storage space doesn't really confront me.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will keep the calibers I have for some variety. I appreciate the help.

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It can save you money, if thats the reason, but my though is...If the s%#t ever hits the fan we are gonna have to find ammo, i pesonaly have guns in all popular cal so no matter what i will always be able to shoot..

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have 2 or more of each; 22LR rifles/pistols, .38 snubbies, .357, 9mm, .45ACP, 44M and .223/5.56. And only one 12ga Mossberg Pump and a 44 Special. But it keeps me entertained when I go to the shooting range. And working on those handloads that ea. gun prefers.

Top Bottom