Does this explain why we're suddenly hip deep in SoyBois and betas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    This is a response based on binary thinking. Men are not just either manly or effeminate. The science says women select more effeminate men on the pill because of hormonal changes.
    I thought the thread was "is this why....soy bois and betas?" The question posed is binary. Yes or no. I fully admit I don't know if there exist a cause and effect between female birth control and changes in personal attraction.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    This is a response based on binary thinking. Men are not just either manly or effeminate. The science says women select more effeminate men on the pill because of hormonal changes.
    So what are some real-life examples? I wonder if Michelle O was on the pill when she met Barry. My real world experience is that i was on the pill for almost 30 years, and if anything, i am attracted to girly men even less than i was before.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So what are some real-life examples? I wonder if Michelle O was on the pill when she met Barry. My real world experience is that i was on the pill for almost 30 years, and if anything, i am attracted to girly men even less than i was before.
    This is not answerable. If the QB is on the pill they typically chose to pass, if not on the pill they typically choose to run, what would have happened if the QB had not been on the pill and chose to run? None of this is observable in our lives. Just like the hormones of a animals in heat are not seen, but males sure react…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is not what the studies (not one, dozens over 70 years) indicate. Are you trolling me here? There is a spectrum of male mates females find attractive. That spectrum is shifted to more effeminate males for those females on birth control pills. To insert a “teeny-bopper” infatuation as evidence that the studies are wrong is silliness.

Now whether this shifts to the soi bois Bug‘s link suggested is something we have not yet discussed. We can’t agree if women choose differently when on the pill.
    I don’t have a problem accepting the research that shows women’s preferences change. I’m glad that you’re presenting it as a spectrum. It didn’t seam to me that you were acknowledging that, especially given your frustration. It’s a variable. It’s not the whole story. I’d have to see beter research that establishes a clear link between taking the pill and that resulting in more soybois each generation. And it wasn’t trolling. I have to admit I participated in the :stickpoke: because you seemed to take it so personally.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Well, Michelle is a dude, so...
    th.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t have a problem accepting the research that shows women’s preferences change. I’m glad that you’re presenting it as a spectrum. It didn’t seam to me that you were acknowledging that, especially given your frustration. It’s a variable. It’s not the whole story. I’d have to see beter research that establishes a clear link between taking the pill and that resulting in more soybois each generation. And it wasn’t trolling. I have to admit I participated in the :stickpoke: because you seemed to take it so personally.
    Better research than? Bugs post? A search will give you literally hundreds of thousands links. I posted a couple yesterday also. This phenomenon has been observed in primates, by photo selection, by sweat soaked t-shirt smelling. All have confirmed it happens.

My frustration was this is pretty well known. You guys act like 70 years of research into the matter did not exist and this was some kind of pop psychology.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Better research than? Bugs post? A search will give you literally hundreds of thousands links. I posted a couple yesterday also. This phenomenon has been observed in primates, by photo selection, by sweat soaked t-shirt smelling. All have confirmed it happens.

My frustration was this is pretty well known. You guys act like 70 years of research into the matter did not exist and this was some kind of pop psychology.

"...They paid 37 women to smell men's T-shirts before and after going on the pill. Then they compared the women's before- and after-pill ratings of the odors to those of 60 women who did not use oral contraceptives..."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "...They paid 37 women to smell men's T-shirts before and after going on the pill. Then they compared the women's before- and after-pill ratings of the odors to those of 60 women who did not use oral contraceptives..."

The above is a link to a study. The top is from 2008, the bottom from 1998…

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yes. More research than that.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    This is not answerable. If the QB is on the pill they typically chose to pass, if not on the pill they typically choose to run, what would have happened if the QB had not been on the pill and chose to run? None of this is observable in our lives. Just like the hormones of a animals in heat are not seen, but males sure react…
    Then I guess we'll never know for sure! Men and women both have hormones, and they can have an effect on our behavior, I just don't think the pill is a major factor in choosing mates. My first husband was not a soyboi, and i was not on the pill at that time. 2nd husband is even less soyboi, and I was on the pill when we met, and for many years after.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Then I guess we'll never know for sure! Men and women both have hormones, and they can have an effect on our behavior, I just don't think the pill is a major factor in choosing mates. My first husband was not a soyboi, and i was not on the pill at that time. 2nd husband is even less soyboi, and I was on the pill when we met, and for many years after.
    I'll say they caused an ex and I to not be together. The pills she took at the time made her kind of psycho. She told me a couple of years later that she had figured it out and changed them.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'll say they caused an ex and I to not be together. The pills she took at the time made her kind of psycho. She told me a couple of years later that she had figured it out and changed them.
    that happened to my sister on the pill and on the shot. She figured it out before it ended in divorce though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We will never know for sure in an individual sense. A woman on the pill sends signals to males that she is pregnant, males will act differently to those signals, so yes both have hormones reacting to each other. I have no speculation for your personal experiences. Did you check out the links I posted?

Top Bottom