• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    These animals should be outright banned, and if I had my way, every last one of them would be put down. If I'm ever charged by one, I won't hesitate to shoot it

I don't understand how someone who is pro-gun can have this mentality with all of the struggles and arguments we have as gun owners. To me this is the same mentality that anti-gunners have, and use, to argue why you don't deserve to have the right to bear arms. They can't see past the black and white argument and realize that there is a giant grey area. Their reasoning is that a few people go around shooting innocents, therefore, guns are bad and should be banned, with total disregard for the good gun owners. The reality is there are:
    good dogs
    bad dogs
    good dogs that turn bad
    bad dogs that have been mistreated and can be turned into good dogs
    .......just like gun owners. If you are willing to get rid of the bad dogs at the expense of the good dogs, then shouldn't the anti-gunners be able to get rid of all gun ownership because of the bad gun owners? To me it is the same mentality, just a different issue, and I don't get it?

Not necessarily aggressive, any short haired, muscular, nondescript dog is labeled as a pit/pit mix. If it can't be immediately identified as a certain breed it's a "pit", heck even if it is identifiable it's a pit. I've seen what looked like a pure bred boxer labeled a "pit".

I know this first hand, I have a Dogo Argentino, not a pit, but everyone labels him a pit. I have only encountered one person who knew what he was and it was a guy who was a missionary in Argentina for 10 years.

This is what I just don't get, why on earth would you want the liability and responsibility of a pet that you have to take extra care when she's out of the home ? The front door knocks and bam the dog bolts past you and is on top of the ups man.. No thanks,.... I understand it's a animal, but certainly some animals are more preordained to aggressive behavior. And you have #1 on the list. I just don't get it....

I have my dog to defend my home and deter anyone I don't know from coming in uninvited. He does that purely on looks. I have had several strangers knock on the door, and when I open it and they see him they back away, which is what I want. When I walk him through the neighborhood, the other dog owners cross the street because they are intimidated by the way he looks, which proves he does what I intended him to do. He has never barked or growled, and usually barely even looks in their direction, yet they fear him for no reason, other than preconceived notions about "pitbulls". All dog breeds have a purpose and should be used for that purpose, yes, certain breeds take extra care.......but that's part of being a RESPONSIBLE dog owner, knowing and adjusting for that, just like a responsible gun owner. When people buy a guard dog to be a purse dog, they will typically have issues. There are a lot of soccer moms that would ask "This is what I just don't get, why on earth would you want the liability and responsibility of a GUN that you have to take extra care in the home" knowing what you have and how to handle it is the main issue, pitbulls are just showing you how many irresponsible dog owners are out there.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hummm Statistics.,.,.,:popcorn: :popcorn:

I will say this about statistics,
    there's lies about statistics,
    There's damn lies about statistics,
    And then there is statistics.

I also have a difficult time believing that statistics would come from the News Agency's and not the Hospitals, Doctors Offices, Police / Sheriffs Departments, Animal Control and so on.

I can only speak from personal experience...I had an English Setter for five years that "went bad"...I don't know how else to say it...Something happened in his brain and he became vicious...The first bite that happened I had to go to the Doctor and the Doctor had to report it to the County...In a five day period I was bitten again and my daughter was as well....I knew when my second bite happened (and got infected)that I would have to go to the immediate care center and that they would have to report it to the County. According to the County my dog would have to be put down...It was...

I do not know if this is just Clark County, all of Indiana or the US in general.....I believe there must be stats somewhere for this but I have no idea how they are compiled.....

Top Bottom