• ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    What do you guys feed your (large)dogs?

Thanks to BlameCharles, we have a new pup.
    She is half Anatolian Shepard/half Rottweiler, so she should get very big.

We want to find a good food that doesn't break the bank.
    a friend suggested Blue Buffalo, I looked it up, and it's very expensive. As big as Roxie is likely to get, I'm thinking BB will cost too much.

looking for ideas.

thanks in advance, Dirte
    imagejpeg
    IMG thumb

i need a reminder how to post photo from photobucket to iPad .

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    What do you guys feed your (large)dogs?

Thanks to BlameCharles, we have a new pup.
    She is half Anatolian Shepard/half Rottweiler, so she should get very big.

We want to find a good food that doesn't break the bank.
    a friend suggested Blue Buffalo, I looked it up, and it's very expensive. As big as Roxie is likely to get, I'm thinking BB will cost too much.

looking for ideas.

thanks in advance, Dirte

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

mine git's this..keep it down 24/7, pick at it whenever they want it......
    60236_420.jpg

wetfood ever even'n.....this.....

pro-plan-canned-dog-food.jpg

congrat's on'a new family member........

Oh......B/Buffalo's a da*n good food....too rich fer mine.....but if ya think it pricey.....take a stab at this'n.....

orijen-food.png

FWIW.....I'a give ya 1 more piece advice.....ANY food....sold in a bigbox store....walmart....etc.....ain't worthb a shizz....an' if ya wanna kill'at dog.....slowly.....feed'im this....

Old-Yeller-Dog-Food.png

^^^^......
    this shizz is....POISON.....hear me?.....I would'n slop a hog with it....

Last edited:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    The Diamond Naturals that Harley posted is decent stuff. I'd recommend avoiding anything Purina, Pedigree, Iams or Science Diet for sure. I feed my 2 dogs Taste of the Wild, $44/30#.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    At least 25% protein, 13% fat-omega 3&6 fatty acid-no corn- meat is first ingredient listed under ingredients-no grains in first four ingredients-source of fat listed in first four ingredients. The higher quality of food you feed, the less you will have to feed on a daily basis. Also, there will be less stools to clean up. You should be able to find a quality kibble that meets these requirements for somewhere between $1.10 and $1.35 per pound.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I use Taste of the Wild products for my cats after the vet recommended it. If you can't find that brand locally, you can order on Amazon and get free shipping. It comes to my door for the same or less as I pay at the store without having to drive 30 miles to get it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    FWIW, in my experience with two muts, paying more money for quality food has EASILY paid for itself. Issues that were requiring vet visits have disappeared. Plus the food goes a lot further when it's actual nutrition.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Pure Balance at Walmart is grain free, in several varieties and highly rated. Our AKC GSD loves it and it shows in his structure and coat quality.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Nutrition for dogs is one of the topics I spend some time on when I teach my dog training classes because most folks are clueless about dog food. You've gotten some good advice on here but here is some more. While he's still a pup be sure to rotate thru good quality foods, that will make him more tolerant of food changes later in life. If you feed the same thing all the time a food change can be a nightmare if he can't tolerate it. Don't forget to mix in some meat, eggs, yogurt(with Fat), cottage cheese and any other good protein and fat every now and then with his kibble, especially for pups.

Good site for dog food ratings. Stick with 3.5 stars or better
    Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Fromm Classic is a good food at a good price point. Beware of some of the Diamond Brand foods, they don't have a very good record on some of their brands. Diamond is a Canadian company that makes dog food under about 70 different labels, they make food for other companies according to the recipe but sometimes their quality control isn't the greatest. I have a lot of friends that use Taste of the Wild made by Diamond and are very happy with it.

Great source for dog food in the Indy area with great prices delivered to your door for free Grateful Pet | Indianapolis Pet Food Delivery Service

Good luck with the new pup

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We stick with grain-free kibble for our "kids". Taste of the Wild is not a bad food, right now we are feeding Earthborn. Both are available at Rural King, and last time I checked, you can get a free bag after buying a certain amount. It does get a bit pricey with 3 dogs, but if it helps keep them healthy, it's worth it. We have one senior dog, and I am sure he would not be doing nearly as well if he was on cheap food. Years ago we used to feed some of the plain old Diamond, not the Natural or grain-free. The difference when we switched was very noticeable. Our old, arthritic dog started doing much better, and our younger dog's coat and allergies improved.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Also...read labels between different "flavors" of the same brand. The Taste of the Wild for cats has two different options...one is venison and other meats and one is purported to be fish such as salmon. I have noticed the "fish" one seems to have much more grain in it than the "meat" one so I stick to the one with more meat and less grain. It all comes down to reading labels! The first ingredient(s) should always be some type of meat.

Top Bottom