• ...and so much more!
  • John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Good ta go.....:yesway:
    made fer Costco by Diamond Foods( I think....)......git's fairly good marks/reviews......

Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Dog Food | Review and Rating

Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Canned Dog Food | Review and Rating

We tried the Kirkland brand and my dogs didn't take to it like we were hoping. I think the pieces were larger than they were accustomed to or something. We use Purina One i think it is, rotate between the chicken and the turkey. Might switch to the the Purina One for mature dogs as our lab is getting pretty old and think it might help.

Just stay away from the cheap puppy chow. It reminds me of the movie Hit and Run which has a scene where a big guy is feeding is dog puppy chow and a smaller but more of a badass guy beats the crap out of the guy and takes his dog...

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Grain-Free Natural Premium Holistic Healthy Dog and Cat Food - Taste of the Wild Pet Food

Taste of the Wild Dog Food | Review and Rating

No fillers (corn, rice, grains...)
    No Mystery "meat"
    High protein

So they eat less.. and they poop less.. and they get more from it because it is digestible, unlike grain based feeds. It provides everything the dogs need without the extra crap.

Provides the protein needed for very active breeds like Border Collies. Does not include common ingredients that are known to cause allergies/reactions in breeds like Chihuahua's and Chinese Cresteds.

My dogs have never been healthier.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I recommend Canidae as my first choice but also give kuddos to Taste of the Wild because it's grain free and several protein options to choose from.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i worked in a pet store and here's the speach i gave when people asked me about dog food,

dogs are carnivorous right? they decended from wolves, when was that last time you were watching the discovery channel, and saw a wolf chase down an ear of corn?

dogs need meat!, look at the label of the food, dog food is like people food, the label has to list the indgredents in order of volume, ie if corn is listed first, then corn is the main ingredient!, look for meat first, most dog foods do have corn in it, its a filler, but the farther down on the list it is, the less there is in the food! another thing is to look at the color, gold or yellow is corn! if its yellow leave it at the store!

people used to get shocked when i told them sicence diet was crap! thats one of the worst dog/cat food's on the market! along with old roy and blue barn!(now the perscription diet is good! but you have to get that from a vet)

look at feeding sugestions, the more the dog has to eat, the worse it is, for both you and the dog!, if one food says feed one cup, and anothe says feed 3 cups, then the 1st is better, the dog gets the same nutrition from the smaller amount!, PLUS the more the dog eats, the more it poops!, if you feed a good food you'll notice a smoother, more shiney coat, eyes will be clear (not yellow) plus the poop will be easier to clean up, it will be firmer, and easier to pick up!

(the funny part was, i didnt have a dog at the time!) but now i have three, and i feed them purina one lamb/rice or chicken/rice, when we took them to the vet he asked what we fed the dogs, and i told him i worked in a pet store(15 yeas ago) and i knew the good vs bad food speach, and told him what i fed the dogs and he said "purina one was a good food!"

and thats what i feed our cats too

in case no one told you, you have to switch their food over slowly, if you do it all at once, you could give them diarrhea,or they might turn their nose up at it and not eat it at all, so for the first week you feed them 3/4 of the old food, mixed with 1/4 of the new food, second week 1/2 and 1/2, 3rd week 3/4 of the new and 1/4 of the old, and week 4 is all of the new food!

good luck

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    i worked in a pet store and here's the speach i gave when people asked me about dog food,

dogs are carnivorous right? they decended from wolves, when was that last time you were watching the discovery channel, and saw a wolf chase down an ear of corn?

dogs need meat!, look at the label of the food, dog food is like people food, the label has to list the indgredents in order of volume, ie if corn is listed first, then corn is the main ingredient!, look for meat first, most dog foods do have corn in it, its a filler, but the farther down on the list it is, the less there is in the food! another thing is to look at the color, gold or yellow is corn! if its yellow leave it at the store!

people used to get shocked when i told them sicence diet was crap! thats one of the worst dog/cat food's on the market! along with old roy and blue barn!(now the perscription diet is good! but you have to get that from a vet)

look at feeding sugestions, the more the dog has to eat, the worse it is, for both you and the dog!, if one food says feed one cup, and anothe says feed 3 cups, then the 1st is better, the dog gets the same nutrition from the smaller amount!, PLUS the more the dog eats, the more it poops!, if you feed a good food you'll notice a smoother, more shiney coat, eyes will be clear (not yellow) plus the poop will be easier to clean up, it will be firmer, and easier to pick up!

(the funny part was, i didnt have a dog at the time!) but now i have three, and i feed them purina one lamb/rice or chicken/rice, when we took them to the vet he asked what we fed the dogs, and i told him i worked in a pet store(15 yeas ago) and i knew the good vs bad food speach, and told him what i fed the dogs and he said "purina one was a good food!"

and thats what i feed our cats too

in case no one told you, you have to switch their food over slowly, if you do it all at once, you could give them diarrhea,or they might turn their nose up at it and not eat it at all, so for the first week you feed them 3/4 of the old food, mixed with 1/4 of the new food, second week 1/2 and 1/2, 3rd week 3/4 of the new and 1/4 of the old, and week 4 is all of the new food!

good luck

Quite the speech, but it boils down to you're feeding your dogs garbage and think it's ok because you used to work at a pet store. Purina One is junk.

[h=3]True Instinct Formula With Real Turkey & Venison Dog Food[/h]Turkey, corn gluten meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine), whole wheat, whole corn, soybean meal, brewer's rice, corn germ meal, venison, glycerin, oat meal, animal digest, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, caramel color, Vitamin E supplement, sulfur, zinc sulfate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Last edited:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Pure Balance at Walmart is grain free, in several varieties and highly rated. Our AKC GSD loves it and it shows in his structure and coat quality.

Not all of the Pure Balance is grain free, they have several non grain free varieties as well. The Bison/Fish/Pea variety looks to be the better of the two grain frees, and @ $41/24#, isn't that great of a deal. Glad to see Walmart offering some decent selection though.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Quite the speech, but it boils down to you're feeding your dogs garbage and think it's ok because you used to work at a pet store. Purina One is junk.

wow thanks dude you really know me!!!!! thanks for the eye opener!!!! my vet told me that it was a good food, that could feed better, and i could feed a lot worse! my dogs are healthy, active, and well loved!

are you taking on new pateints, cause i might need a new vet, and you sound like the one i might be needing!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    wow thanks dude you really know me!!!!! thanks for the eye opener!!!! my vet told me that it was a good food, that could feed better, and i could feed a lot worse! my dogs are healthy, active, and well loved!

are you taking on new pateints, cause i might need a new vet, and you sound like the one i might be needing!

Vets say Science Diet is good food, still believe them? They get paid by Hills (Science Diet), Purina, and Royal Canin to endorse their foods, because they all make prescription foods. For what you're paying for Purina One you could get a decent food.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

dogs need meat!,

Dogs descended from wolves, but they have also spent many thousands of years adapting themselves to eat human "leftovers" or garbage. We have a little dog that loves vegetables; every kind of vegetable that we eat. She loves corn, peas, green beans, summer squash, celery, raw or cooked potatoes, and even pickles. Her very favorite thing is to get into the garden and yank up a turnip to eat. She found one the other day that made it through the winter and she was thrilled.

I suspect that there are differences in types or breeds of dogs and their dietary requirements. I think that some dogs might do better with more meat and less vegetable matter and some might do better with more vegetable matter and less meat. I would think trying the higher quality foods and watching to see which one your dog likes best and appears to do well on is a good plan.

My wife doesn't trust any dog food completely and she feeds our dog leftovers, as well as cooked eggs, and of course lots of vegetables and other "people food" every day.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just don't give your pets the rabies vaccine... It causes autism.

The extreme decline in rabies cases in the mid 20th century was purely coincidental and completely unrelated to vaccinations.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Just don't give your pets the rabies vaccine... It causes autism.

The extreme decline in rabies cases in the mid 20th century was purely coincidental and completely unrelated to vaccinations.

Did you often need to be reminded to use your "inside voice" when you were a kid?

Or to not come clomping into the house with muddy shoes?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy

********snip******
    good luck

We are descended from monkeys. We should eat only berries, leaves and bananas. Let's not over think this. Dogs are omnivores and will do well on most anything. The big Co's have done the research and their grub is probably just fine for your pet. I don't disagree with much that you say, but your premise is too easy...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    We have had good results with Purina Pro Plan when our lab quit liking Eukanuba. Small stools, healthy coat and eyes and since she is older(13) she enjoys the variety in the kibble. It has shredded soft portions with the crunchy bites.

I suppose someone will come along and tell me I'm an idiot for feeding her this but she is still healthy, trim and athletic at 13.......

Top Bottom