• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    We have had good results with Purina Pro Plan when our lab quit liking Eukanuba. Small stools, healthy coat and eyes and since she is older(13) she enjoys the variety in the kibble. It has shredded soft portions with the crunchy bites.

I suppose someone will come along and tell me I'm an idiot for feeding her this but she is still healthy, trim and athletic at 13.......

I also feed my boys Pro Plan. I feed the Savor line with chicken. My dogs( 6 and 15) are healthy on it. My aussie quit itching shortly after I switched to it from cheap food. Pretty affordable good food at a an affordable price. I feed dogs, horses, and cats. If I bought the "best" feed for all of them I'd be broke. I find good feed at a decent price and stick with it if my animals respond well to it. I believe it is good to be consitent.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    What do you guys feed your (large)dogs?

Meat, eggs, cheese, a little rice, and more meat.

Got a butcher you know? Hit them up for the heart, liver, kidneys and scraps from a cow. Chicken backs are cheap to obtain. Venison scraps from your deer... Pork scraps, etc.

Cook it all sufficiently, add some rice, cheese, a dollop or two of yogurt, a hard boiled egg mashed up...

If you can get the above in bulk, and a bit of prep work ahead of time, it's no more expensive than quality commercial dog food.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Our two pups get Earthborn. They have a bunch of different flavors. We buy the biggest bag and switch up the flavors when we buy another. It keeps our pup's appetite up, as they don't always eat the same thing. Their promotion is buy 10 get the 11th free. Plus coupons are readily available. I believe it is made in Evansville, which is a big plus. I find it at Uncle Bill's, Pet Supply Co, and Rural King.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Vets say Science Diet is good food, still believe them? They get paid by Hills (Science Diet), Purina, and Royal Canin to endorse their foods, because they all make prescription foods. For what you're paying for Purina One you could get a decent food.

I have no idea where that old rumor comes from that vets get paid to endorse certain foods. I've been a vet for 27 years and am still waiting for my check.

I do sell prescription foods (which is absolutely necessary for some pets), and 1 line of quality food but it's not a profit center. We have to do careful inventory management just to break even. It does, however, save me some time as compared to undoing all of the misinformation people get about food on the internet and at the pet store.

I'll be back with some more specific comments that may be more helpful.

Edit: meanwhile let me dispel another rumor that the pet stores like to tell their salespeople to say that "vets only get 1 hour of nutritional studies in school"

My best recommendation for a Rott/Anatolian mix pup would be Royal Canin Giant Breed puppy (or if still in the first three months the Royal Canin Development Puppy Large Breed). Pro Plan also makes an excellent Giant Breed food.

"Large" breed formulas from the same companies: Proplan (not other Purina), Royal Canin as well as Science Diet would be pretty good options also. If you really need to cut your cost, Iams Large Breed puppy is probably the best lower-cost value combined with reasonable nutrition.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom