• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Actually, I'm more offended by how Dollywood butchers the word music than a pro homosexual t shirt.

Wow, the iPhone auto correct is throwing me for a loop on this post.

rangeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Hagerstown
    I haven't read everything but I have read enough to see that this is being blown out of shape by the liberals. Dolly Parton has a strong christian background and makes no effort to hide it. What I find interesting about this is that in today's legal tanglings, I don't really think that the park would have taken action on a single complaint. But we wont hear that side of the problem will we?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I personally don't see a problem. How is this any different then Holiday World requiring proper clothing to be worn outside their water park. What about the rules here on INGO concerning nudity and profanity? When you buy the ticket or join a forum, you are agreeing to abide by the stated rules. As long as Dollywood stated their policy up front and followed it themselves, they should be good to go.

</End Thread>

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Keep in mind, they weren't turned away for their orientation, so even if sexual orientation is a protected class, it still would not apply. They weren't turned away at all in fact, just asked to turn a shirt inside out.

If Dollywood also makes people turn other potentially offensive shirts inside out as well, then they are well within their rights in this case..

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I haven't read everything but I have read enough to see that this is being blown out of shape by the liberals. Dolly Parton has a strong christian background and makes no effort to hide it. What I find interesting about this is that in today's legal tanglings, I don't really think that the park would have taken action on a single complaint. But we wont hear that side of the problem will we?
    My guess is that you know next to nothing about Miss Dolly. She's been quite vocal about her support for marriage equality and treating folks as equals. My guess is that she will likely say a few words to someone and this guard will be looking for a new job or get transferred to a position where they don't get to deal with the paying public.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My guess is that you know next to nothing about Miss Dolly. She's been quite vocal about her support for marriage equality and treating folks as equals. My guess is that she will likely say a few words to someone and this guard will be looking for a new job or get transferred to a position where they don't get to deal with the paying public.

This. I have never in my life experienced the level of customer service that I received at Disney a few years ago. I was expecting a week of misery and was only willing to suffer it once for my daughter. We had such an amazing experience and time that we can't wait to go back. Hopefully next year.

I'll guarantee you 10 times as many people noticed the shirt after the incident with the employee than would have it left alone.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I seriously doubt Dolly would have someone fired for enforcing an existing policy.

Because she is popular in the Conservative Christian, AND Gay circles, I would assume Dollywood's policy is an attempt at appeasing both..
    For all we know, the person that asked the girl to turn her shirt inside out may have thought it was a slur against gays.

Like RNM alluded to, it's like the "N" word. When you see it on a shirt, how do you know which "version" of the word is being used? Best policy in that case, I would think, would be to have anyone turn inside out anything that might be offensive.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My guess is that you know next to nothing about Miss Dolly. She's been quite vocal about her support for marriage equality and treating folks as equals.

But wait! What about the children???

That's what's amused me most about this tempest in the teapot. It is fairly well known among the gay community about her support for these social issues, so at a guess said lesbian couple were very surprised to get hassled at Dollyworld. Hardly "going looking for trouble."

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    BTW, Dollywood lists their "Core Values" on the website. At the end of the list it says:

All in a Manner Consistent with Christian Values and Ethics
    ..and their Clothing Guidelines:
    To preserve our family atmosphere proper clothing is required including shirts and shoes (sandals or flip-flops are acceptable). Clothing with offensive words and/or pictures will not be permitted inside the park. Guests may not wear character type costumes on park.

Male guests must wear t-shirts, muscle shirts, tank tops or opaque shirts buttoned at least 2/3 of the way up from the waist, and must wear slacks or shorts that completely cover the buttocks.

Female guests must wear t-shirts, tank tops, halter-tops, opaque shirts, blouses, or dresses that are buttoned at least 2/3 of the way up from the waist, and must wear slacks, skirts, dresses, or shorts that completely cover the buttocks.

Any clothing in violation of the Tennessee Code on indecent exposure will require additional cover-up. Dollywood reserves the right to require additional or different attire where we deem appropriate. Should a guest refuse to comply with our requests, the guest will be politely asked to leave the property.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "To preserve our family atmosphere proper clothing is required including shirts and shoes (sandals or flip-flops are acceptable). Clothing with offensive words and/or pictures will not be permitted inside the park. Guests may not wear character type costumes on park.

Male guests must wear t-shirts, muscle shirts, tank tops or opaque shirts buttoned at least 2/3 of the way up from the waist, and must wear slacks or shorts that completely cover the buttocks.

Female guests must wear t-shirts, tank tops, halter-tops, opaque shirts, blouses, or dresses that are buttoned at least 2/3 of the way up from the waist, and must wear slacks, skirts, dresses, or shorts that completely cover the buttocks.

Any clothing in violation of the Tennessee Code on indecent exposure will require additional cover-up. Dollywood reserves the right to require additional or different attire where we deem appropriate. Should a guest refuse to comply with our requests, the guest will be politely asked to leave the property."

Wouldn't dare ban halter tops. That'd leave out most of the native Tennesseens.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd actually consider finding a new church if that woman wore that same shirt to my church and was treated rudely.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    1. There was nothing about that shirt that was offensive, except to the little bigot at the gate.
    2. Since when is bigotry and hatred a "christian value"? "Love thy neighbour as thyself".

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So I'm really the only one that thinks this lady was just looking for attention? :dunno:

Must just be one of those days for me

So what if she was? Nothing takes the wind out of an attention seeker's sails like ignoring them.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So I'm really the only one that thinks this lady was just looking for attention? :dunno:

Must just be one of those days for me
    Maybe she was bringing attention to the issue, but looking for it? No more so than anyone who comes on here *****ing about being turned out of a business or hassled for OC. This is about receiving bad customer service, more than anything else. And the bad customer service was due to someones small mindedness.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    1. There was nothing about that shirt that was offensive, except to the little bigot at the gate.
    2. Since when is bigotry and hatred a "christian value"? "Love thy neighbour as thyself".

You are intolerant of someone else's intolerance.

I find that amusing :):

Top Bottom