53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    https://www.southbendtribune.com/ne...cle_8c2acba4-fcbc-58bc-bc98-790991226488.html

I have to genuinely ask and if I were being sarcastic I'd put it in purple, but I ain't and I didn't.
    Obviously what we're now seeing is the SBT and ProPublica smelling blood with their unrelenting digging in Elkhart.....
    But gosh dang, do other jurisdictions in Indiana have this much controversy to disclose?? Is what we currently see in Elkhart just another average day in Indiana Law Enforcement?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    https://www.southbendtribune.com/ne...cle_8c2acba4-fcbc-58bc-bc98-790991226488.html

I have to genuinely ask and if I were being sarcastic I'd put it in purple, but I ain't and I didn't.
    Obviously what we're now seeing is the SBT and ProPublica smelling blood with their unrelenting digging in Elkhart.....
    But gosh dang, do other jurisdictions in Indiana have this much controversy to disclose?? Is what we currently see in Elkhart just another average day in Indiana Law Enforcement?

I don't know, but I can tell you that if everything I've read about that department is true, then it is likely a unique-to-them problem. Every department has it's issues but Elkhart seems to be a cesspool.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    There are more officers in Elkhart pd that have been disciplined for this behavior than have not. Its still not as bad as the LA police.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Perhaps he didn't mean it the way I took it, but the resignation statement by Chief Windbigler [FONT=&quot]"I admit that I am not perfect and have made mistakes, but I always tried to make sure we were making decisions that would be best for the department,"[/FONT] kinda had me thinking he would have been better off saying I always had the public's interest in mind, rather than giving me the impression he had his officer's backs covered no matter what their transgressions.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I don't know, but I can tell you that if everything I've read about that department is true, then it is likely a unique-to-them problem. Every department has it's issues but Elkhart seems to be a cesspool.

I feel bad for the mayor, who I got to know when he was a state representative. He left the General Assembly to run for mayor. He was a good guy when he served in the legislature, it sounds like he's up against some seriously ingrained institutional attitudes in the police department.

The mayor's son is an officer on the department, which complicates things.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Perhaps he didn't mean it the way I took it, but the resignation statement by Chief Windbigler [FONT=&amp]"I admit that I am not perfect and have made mistakes, but I always tried to make sure we were making decisions that would be best for the department,"[/FONT] kinda had me thinking he would have been better off saying I always had the public's interest in mind, rather than giving me the impression he had his officer's backs covered no matter what their transgressions.

Yeah, one might argue that the Chief's job description is to do what's best for the people > what's best for the department

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It’s kind of impressive how often you top my mental leaderboard of “poster most likely to state a willingness to commit a potential crime”.

I didn't realize that.
    I was 17 for that one and because there were no cameras around and not any witnesses I can confidently say that no crime was commuted. :):

Did I mention that I grew up in the LA area.

Top Bottom