• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What in my comment made you think otherwise?

The fact that the latest news is that federal charges are being filed, and your post is, "Not much sympathy here. I guess if you had any common sense you wouldn't be in jail in the first place, ..."

i.e. The news is about the officer, and you're talking about the inmate; it's non sequitur. I was (still am?) a bit confused.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The fact that the latest news is that federal charges are being filed, and your post is, "Not much sympathy here. I guess if you had any common sense you wouldn't be in jail in the first place, ..."

i.e. The news is about the officer, and you're talking about the inmate; it's non sequitur. I was (still am?) a bit confused.

Sorry, but I thought my comment was self-explanatory. You omitted the part that would have cleared it up for you..

Not much sympathy here. I guess if you had any common sense you wouldn't be in jail in the first place, much less in jail and spitting on Occifer Friendly and tempting fate.

Old wise man's saying, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

The news may have been about the charges against the police. But the thread is about the beating the prisoner received, i.e. "Don’t spit on Elkhart police".

I didn't think that my comment was so controversial.

So perhaps there is such a thing as mortal sin, and now I should go to confession. Oh wait, wrong thread...

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Regarding the officers, hope they are not scapegoated.

I thought the abuse was directed at them first. Nobody likes to be spat upon. I think their reaction is understandable.

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Regarding the officers, hope they are not scapegoated.

I thought the abuse was directed at them first. Nobody likes to be spat upon. I think their reaction is understandable.

Posts 40-60 (roughly) in this thread cover a lot of what I'm going to say, so I'll only say it once:

I agree to an extent. Understandable reaction from officers, yes. Desirable from public servants, I would say no. Shouldn't those enforcing the law...follow the law?

Of course none of us would like it if we got spit on. As was repeated by many people in this thread, (not a direct quote but a basic summary of the sentiment): if someone spits on me, I'd really like to send them to the hospital because that's a line you don't cross....

And fair enough. But I would hope if I'm wearing a badge and someone spits on me, I'd have some restraint. Especially if that someone is handcuffed to a chair who I can walk away from.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Not much sympathy here. I guess if you had any common sense you wouldn't be in jail in the first place, much less in jail and spitting on Occifer Friendly and tempting fate.

Old wise man's saying, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

To clarify, I fully understand this sentiment and basically agree, but the point I'm trying to make is the perp still shouldn't have won a stupid prize in the form of a beatdown while handcuffed to a chair. He's already going to see his day in court which is where the stupid prize for the crimes (including spitting on the officers) should be dealt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Somewhat OT...

...remember when Elkhart was a nice smallish city with jobs and growth and only one small section was the one you avoided at night?

I remember.....

RiqxKXr.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    To clarify, I fully understand this sentiment and basically agree, but the point I'm trying to make is the perp still shouldn't have won a stupid prize in the form of a beatdown while handcuffed to a chair. He's already going to see his day in court which is where the stupid prize for the crimes (including spitting on the officers) should be dealt.

Two guys beating up on one guy in handcuffs isn't fair. But some folks don't take kindly to being spat on. I can just imagine the reaction of some people here, I doubt that it would have been Mother Teresa's:

https://www.kindspring.org/story/view.php?op=sg&sid=1974

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Somewhat OT...

...remember when Elkhart was a nice smallish city with jobs and growth and only one small section was the one you avoided at night?

I remember.....

One OT deserves another, but was that one area the zoo by any chance?? ;)

Whatever happened to our friend the rabbit anyway?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I just think that every member of the jury for these officers' trials should be verbally abused for 20 minutes, then spat on. They can't truly be their "peers" unless they go through that, and I would bet most, if not all, would react much in the same manner as those officers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just think that every member of the jury for these officers' trials should be verbally abused for 20 minutes, then spat on. They can't truly be their "peers" unless they go through that, and I would bet most, if not all, would react much in the same manner as those officers.

Sounds fair.

Of course, to be completely fair, let's give them training on how to properly deal with unruly inmates properly.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Sounds fair.

Of course, to be completely fair, let's give them training on how to properly deal with unruly inmates properly.

Fair enough. I do think that the officers in this incident did go too far. I've been spit on by cuffed inmates. Usually just a quick strike to the face to redirect the head away from me does the trick. I usually carry a mesh spit hood in my pocket too.

But... Even with training, every person has his limits. My patience gets tested. Dealing with a ****bag like this guy, and getting spit on, clearly the officers had had enough. I wasn't there, but I know a few guys over there. Who is to say what I would or would not have done in that same situation? I'd like to say I would have more restraint, that I wouldn't have done what they did, but I don't know what kind of day they had, what lead up to this incident, what other factors were present.

Maybe they went too far. Federal charges? I think that's too much.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Somewhat OT...

I remember.....

View attachment 76990

Was this the epicenter? Small was/is relative you know. My recollection was an area bounded by Oakland on the west, tracks on the north, Prairie on the east, and somewhere around Wolf on the south.
    Revitalization changed all that and while one is less likely to be drug from a vehicle by angry drunk crowd and beaten today; the swath of landscape where one runs risk of stray boolit from bad blood or deal run afoul is perhaps easily 4X that area. Oh how I luv waxing nostalgically about the good ole days...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    View attachment 76990

Was this the epicenter? Small was/is relative you know. My recollection was an area bounded by Oakland on the west, tracks on the north, Prairie on the east, and somewhere around Wolf on the south.
    Revitalization changed all that and while one is less likely to be drug from a vehicle by angry drunk crowd and beaten today; the swath of landscape where one runs risk of stray boolit from bad blood or deal run afoul is perhaps easily 4X that area. Oh how I luv waxing nostalgically about the good ole days...

That's the neighborhood. It was the big city for someone from Edwardsburg, but living in NWI now, it's smallish.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom