• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    So does anyone believe Rainwater has a snowballs chance in hell to actually win ?

I do. From talking to people in real life and seeing the reactions to news stories on social media it is pretty obvious that he has a pretty large backing. I think the biggest issue is going to be people who just pull the R lever and haven't actually looked at the candidates for Governor.

Even if he doesn't win, I think he will at least get the attention of the Republican party in Indiana and hopefully they will start listening to the people they represent.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do. From talking to people in real life and seeing the reactions to news stories on social media it is pretty obvious that he has a pretty large backing. I think the biggest issue is going to be people who just pull the R lever and haven't actually looked at the candidates for Governor.

Even if he doesn't win, I think he will at least get the attention of the Republican party in Indiana and hopefully they will start listening to the people they represent.

The party does not give 2 ****s what we think. Both side oriole this every day. So don’t think this will even make a dent because it will not.
    If Rainwater wins yes. But only briefly.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well I am glad he is sleeping better after that.......:faint:
    Yup. We are never gonna win this fight.

Its your vote peoples. All yours. Do with it as you will. Please.
    Use it/loose it/abuse it. No worries. Just don't brag when you crap it away OK.

:):

It is HIGHLY likely that Trump will win the 11 electoral votes of Indiana by a considerable margin. Keep in mind it is the Electoral College that counts; not the popular vote. Another vote for Trump will mean little to nothing in Indiana.

In fact, the wide margin may well communicate to the Republican party that Indiana is just fine with a highly centralized state with its out of control national debt ($27,000,000,000,000 and growing) and encroachments upon Liberty. That may be so. Perhaps Indiana is just fine with such things..... as long as it is headed by Republicans instead of Democrats.

My single vote in Indiana for a Libertarian will not swing this election one bit.

Nor will yours for one of the other parties.

Be that as it may, I can at least say that I did not cast my vote for a candidate that will most assuredly continue to feed the Leviathan. At a bare minimum, I can say I refused to and chose not to vote for a candidate that has advanced gun control... just one issue, but one that many view as important.

I voted for the candidate that best represents my individual values in liberty, a limited central state, and the natural rights documented in the Second Amendment among other things.
    So, I did not throw away my vote.

How about you or others that simply voted to expand a margin that means nothing once it is past the majority? :)

If one wants a different direction, one has to say so. Right now, saying so in Indiana is easy and comes with little risk. If folks will not say so now, one might wonder if they will when it is not so easy and comes with greater risk.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have always thought that the Libertarian party would do better as a faction of the Republican party. On their own, they have a just slightly higher than 0 percent chance of winning. Staying their own party, I don't know why they don't concentrate more of their energies at the local level.

Big-L Libertarians are too scatterbrained (er, inconsistent?) with their policy positions to be a serious/major force, with today's electorate. For one, they tend to be too directly-focused on marijuana legalization, which I think is very far down the priority list for (most) voters. (I also think that, if they stop antagonizing the right over marijuana, cultural shifts will resolve the issue in due course.) But where they will never get any support from the right are a) abortion, and b) open borders. It's as if Big-L Libertarians push individual liberty (a good thing) without acknowledging that the fundamental purpose of government is to protect/ensure those individual liberties for citizens - particularly, freedom of association (citizenship, sovereignty, borders).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A platform is meaningless without the political critical mass to support it. Their "legalize drugs" campaign (literally, "legalize liberty") has traction only because neither of the legitimate parties have seriously embraced decriminalization on their platform. Our government is drunk on the power the war on drugs gives them, and both sides want just a little more.

Their platform neuters the centralized authority coveted by our ruling class. Both sides of the status quo gain from minimizing the Libertarian Party, and both the democratic and republican media wings churn out content in hopes of delegitimizing any stand they take.

I think a lot of people are fed up with the status quo, but it gets expressed by flipping the coin to the other side...but it's just the same damned coin. Our system is exclusively two-party...it's a glaring fault in the design of our government. IF enough people support it, the libertarians COULD become one side of that coin...at least for a while.

The problem with that is when every issue has to be forced into a win-or-loss false dichotomy in order to be dealt with, the names and platforms of the parties don't really matter much...in the end those two players will look just about like the two we have today.

There are some really good arguments for abandoning the federal system we have in favor of a parliamentary system, the forced false dichotomy is a big one.

Agreed. I am beyond fed up with Republicans - particularly at the federal level. But Democrats do not represent a viable alternative. The problem is that, historically, we have had a two-sided coin - though the two sides of that coin have changed over the course of the past 250 years - but today, as you say: it's really just the same thing on both sides.

(Side note: this is the existential threat to the status quo/Uniparty represented by Donald Trump. He is - to use a GoT reference - the wheel-breaker.)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nationwide, there is no such thing as a "popular vote". There simply isn't. I wish more people understood that.

If we had a single national election, then there would be such a thing, but that's not what we have. We have 50 separate state elections that take place at the same time. But it is not one election.

A nationwide "popular vote" is a myth, an illusion, sold to you by someone who lost an election and has to whine about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :):

It is HIGHLY likely that Trump will win the 11 electoral votes of Indiana by a considerable margin. Keep in mind it is the Electoral College that counts; not the popular vote. Another vote for Trump will mean little to nothing in Indiana.

In fact, the wide margin may well communicate to the Republican party that Indiana is just fine with a highly centralized state with its out of control national debt ($27,000,000,000,000 and growing) and encroachments upon Liberty. That may be so. Perhaps Indiana is just fine with such things..... as long as it is headed by Republicans instead of Democrats.

My single vote in Indiana for a Libertarian will not swing this election one bit.

Nor will yours for one of the other parties.

Be that as it may, I can at least say that I did not cast my vote for a candidate that will most assuredly continue to feed the Leviathan. At a bare minimum, I can say I refused to and chose not to vote for a candidate that has advanced gun control... just one issue, but one that many view as important.

I voted for the candidate that best represents my individual values in liberty, a limited central state, and the natural rights documented in the Second Amendment among other things.
    So, I did not throw away my vote.

How about you or others that simply voted to expand a margin that means nothing once it is past the majority? :)

If one wants a different direction, one has to say so. Right now, saying so in Indiana is easy and comes with little risk. If folks will not say so now, one might wonder if they will when it is not so easy and comes with greater risk.

And in some offbeat kind of way we agree at some level.
    As I said the pRty could give big goat **** about us except that we keep them in the big boy chairs.
    I understanding the election process all to well. And yes I see your point. And again Agree
    To a point.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So does anyone believe Rainwater has a snowballs chance in hell to actually win ?

Does anyone believe that an overreaching RINO who to the best of my knowledge is the most corrupt governor in the history of Indiana is any better than a democrat?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The reality is, either Holcomb or Myers will be elected Governor.
    The most Rainwater can do is steer the debate some.
    Myers is more anti 2nd Amendment than Holcomb, and any research will show this.

The downside is, Rainwater will likely siphon off more Republican votes than Democrat votes.
    So too many votes for Rainwater to "show" Holcomb could stick us with Myers, who'll be MUCH worse.

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    123330150_3154366674690917_7924266980495545747_n.jpg

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I guess I "rained" on your parade but my household of 4 voted early today and all 4 of us voted for Holcomb. Not voting for some Libertarian who wants to promote drug use and abortions. Not willing to split the Republican vote and get stuck with a Democratic Governor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom