• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If one opened up a similar store across the st. from him with lower prices, then the hood rats would all stream in to buy their community guns from you. Sad but true. I would never open a store in an area like that. Ryan Mercer is right, there are FAR worse areas in Indy, however, opening up a store across from community gun central is just asking for issues. Not to mention, I would probably bet money that Don would send folks over to buy from you to sell in their store at the pricing they have b/c they still would make money on it. Want to order something at Dons? Let them check their catalog (binoculars to look into your store).

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If one opened up a similar store across the st. from him with lower prices, then the hood rats would all stream in to buy their community guns from you. Sad but true. I would never open a store in an area like that. Ryan Mercer is right, there are FAR worse areas in Indy, however, opening up a store across from community gun central is just asking for issues. Not to mention, I would probably bet money that Don would send folks over to buy from you to sell in their store at the pricing they have b/c they still would make money on it. Want to order something at Dons? Let them check their catalog (binoculars to look into your store).

Yay someone used a space between my names! and hahah on the binoculars.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    It was an AK brought in by a customer. He shot himself in the leg or the foot. I don't really recall the details.

And Ryan.. the person you are referring to is Steve Stapleton, a husband and father. He was a good friend of mine and never should have been working alone that day. After Steve was murdered Don made it a mandatory rule that no less than two employees would work in his shop day or night. I know this because I use to be an employee of Don's Guns... so I must not be very bright (rolls eyes). Don hired me because of my knowledge of firearms, my military background... and a few other reasons.

I had my own reasons for leaving though. I don't love Don... nor do I hate him.

Things have obviously changed since I've worked there (I left in 2000)... especially considering all the accidents that have happened since a few others and myself left for bigger and better opportunities.

Last edited:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    It was an AK brought in by a customer. He shot himself in the leg or the foot. I don't really recall the details.

And Ryan.. the person you are referring to is Steve Stapleton, a husband and father. He was a good friend of mine and never should have been working alone that day. After Steve was murdered Don made it a mandatory rule that no less than two employees would work in his shop day or night. I know this because I use to be an employee of Don's Guns... so I must not be very bright (rolls eyes). Don hired me because of my knowledge of firearms, my military background... and a few other reasons.

I had my own reasons for leaving though. I don't love Don... nor do I hate him.

Things have obviously changed since I've worked there (I left in 2000)... especially considering all the accidents that have happened since a few others and myself left for bigger and better opportunities.

Back in 2000 that was a different neighborhood. I meant no disrespect... but you can't be firing on all 6 cylinders to work there now. You couldn't pay me enough to work at any store where an employee was murdered, especially in a deteriorating neighborhood, I'm sure other gun shops close by would hire, and I can't imagine Don pays his employees well as you know... 'He doesn't like to make money (he loves it)'.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    IIRC, the AK that went off was taken in to clean or something. Went off (for whatever reason, broken 3 of the 4 rules, I'd imagine) into the ground, and the concrete that exploded up from the floor when the bullet hit lodged in the guy's leg... Again, IIRC, from the news story.

Mike

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Back in 2000 that was a different neighborhood. I meant no disrespect... but you can't be firing on all 6 cylinders to work there now. You couldn't pay me enough to work at any store where an employee was murdered, especially in a deteriorating neighborhood, I'm sure other gun shops close by would hire, and I can't imagine Don pays his employees well as you know... 'He doesn't like to make money (he loves it)'.

I lived in that neighborhood from 83 to about 2001. It is turning into a ghost town. Lafayette used to be the best mall in town at one time and it is sad to see what has happened. I still miss it.

As far as people buying at Don's? As P.T. Barnum said...

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Dons guns is the only gunstore where I ever saw a gold grill on a gun! "LET ME SEE YOUR GRILL LET ME SEE YOUR GRILL"

JuggaloP380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Northside/Castleton
    Or not. There hasn't been a shooting in Don's in ages... and don't give me that crap "we'll it's overdue" becuase then for that matter, I shouldn't leave my house becuase everywhere is a good place to get "shot by some ghetto peasant" Lafayette Square area isn't the Ghetto... it's nothing to be proud of, but there are far far worse places in Indy... and avoiding such places only let's the problem get worse.
    Now if dons was just off tenth n parker, id have my piece on my lap. But i agree, its not the best but nowhere near the worst

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    While it fun to rent a full auto at there, but he also said he pays cash for your guns in his commercial flashing his cash. Fast forward, I took my Browning Hi Power in 40 to show them how much they would pay me for it. The loser who is a short Hispanic looking guy like smoking crack or something voice said "I could sell it for just a little over $100." Okay, I took the gun back and went to Cosner in Bedford, the owner David Cosner gave me nearly $300 for it. Oh well, I am joining a club in Mitchell. No more driving 58 miles each way again to shoot at just 50 ft.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    While it fun to rent a full auto at there, but he also said he pays cash for your guns in his commercial flashing his cash. Fast forward, I took my Browning Hi Power in 40 to show them how much they would pay me for it. The loser who is a short Hispanic looking guy like smoking crack or something voice said "I could sell it for just a little over $100." Okay, I took the gun back and went to Cosner in Bedford, the owner David Cosner gave me nearly $300 for it. Oh well, I am joining a club in Mitchell. No more driving 58 miles each way again to shoot at just 50 ft.

Knowing Cosner's, I wonder what price they slapped on your Hi Power after you left?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't really care, they are in a business, so of course, no business would pay you the retail price for anything. They have to make money too. $300 is a very good price. I only paid $450 for it 15 yrs ago.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I don't really care, they are in a business, so of course, no business would pay you the retail price for anything. They have to make money too. $300 is a very good price. I only paid $450 for it 15 yrs ago.

If you are happy, I'm happy. And of course, no dealer is going to pay anywhere near retail.

15 years is a long time...........

Hi Power prices have went WAY up since then.

You said "nearly $300.00."

That is not a "very good price."

Just my opinion.........

Regards!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I live right around the corner from Don's, and when I moved here, that was obviously the closest shop. On my first visit, my jaw hit the floor when I saw Glock 17s selling for $799, 30 round AK mags for $50, AR's for $2400... etc. I asked about transfer fees from buying on Gunbroker, and they told me $100 per transfer. F*ck that, F' Don and his shop. I'm going to POPGUNS.

cue7467

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield Indiana
    POP GUN'S is almost as bad. :n00b:

I live right around the corner from Don's, and when I moved here, that was obviously the closest shop. On my first visit, my jaw hit the floor when I saw Glock 17s selling for $799, 30 round AK mags for $50, AR's for $2400... etc. I asked about transfer fees from buying on Gunbroker, and they told me $100 per transfer. F*ck that, F' Don and his shop. I'm going to POPGUNS.

Top Bottom