• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwmkoester

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I walked into Don's and immediately noticed the sub-par quality of clientele. Then saw a haggard-looking, must-be-homeless guy with shocking white hair walk in and start to walk behind the counter. I thought he was about to rob the place, then I realized I was probably watching this poor old geezer's last minutes on earth. No way!... it was Don, rollin in his S-class and makin' fat stacks. yo!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    That's because he's the only gun dealer they know because he's the only one that ADVERTISES. Seriously, aside from Target Sports in Sheridan throwing the occasional ad in a local town newspaper and Wyatt's having a couple of billboards, NO ONE else advertises.
    This is completely true. I'm a new gun owner, who's been trying to figure out more about firearms. Don's is the only place I had even HEARD of, except Gander Mountain. Honestly, I still don't know everywhere nearby that sells guns. Found a pawn-shop, and Pop's guns, but otherwise nothing. I'm sure I could just google "Gun store" or something like that. Though after hitting a few places downtown, I'm not too enthusiastic. Online shopping shall continue.

As a side note, I had seen Don's commercial back in NY and we all thought it was a viral ad or a joke. I'd consider going down there and checking it out sometime. In a large, heavily armed group.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'd consider going down there and checking it out sometime. In a large, heavily armed group.

Honestly, every gun owner should make 1 trip to Don's. That way they'll not only have something to compare to other shops around town, but they'll appreciate those shops even more!

Yankee - these should help you find gun stores in your area:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iscussion/3900-list_of_indiana_gun_shops.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...spreadsheet_listing_of_indiana_gun_shops.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oi_file_for_indiana_gun_shops_and_ranges.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ion/47049-indiana_gun_stores-google_maps.html

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    like said before don moves guns because he avertises and he is in a known location.(I have talk to ppl who live in indy and dont know plainfield or avon.) i went there recently and the staff was nice and let me hold any gun me and my father asked for and even carried a convo outside when the employee and my father smoked. but there prices on every thing was high, but if you spent $400 you got a free subsub compact 380. as for being a rough area i think is exaggerated. 75% of the business in the mall and surronding area have moved out so the amount of ppl is small as well. i have been going to that area all my life and never had a problem and no one i know personaly has either. when you get past 65 and over the river closer to the city, is when you have problems.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Huh?

............................................ as for being a rough area i think is exaggerated. 75% of the business in the mall and surronding area have moved out so the amount of ppl is small as well. i have been going to that area all my life and never had a problem and no one i know personaly has either. when you get past 65 and over the river closer to the city, is when you have problems.

You just lost a debate with yourself! :D There is a reason 75% of the business has left the area. For many years, Lafayette Square was a one location crime wave. To this day, including the time it's been essentially vacant, I'd bet there have been more cars stolen there than in any other location in the county. They actually used to put police on the roof with binoculars to spot the predators for the undercover guys patroling the lot around the Christmas shopping season.

All that aside, the 2 worst things about Don's Guns are:
    1. Don
    2. Don's customers.

Sorry. I just can't let a thread like this fade away! Consider it a public service announcement. :patriot:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    i went into dons just to have a look. He wanted $995.00 for a plain springfield xdm 40. You tell me he doesnt want to make money. He also wanted $70.00 for a box of 50 winchester .380 fmj ammo.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    All that aside, the 2 worst things about Don's Guns are:
    1. Don
    2. Don's customers.

Sorry. I just can't let a thread like this fade away! Consider it a public service announcement. :patriot:

You forgot the number 3. And perhaps the scariest thing about Don's Gun's

3. The Prices

Seriously - If you have a weak heart do not go into Don's Gun's and look at the prices on his guns.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    like said before don moves guns because he avertises and he is in a known location.(I have talk to ppl who live in indy and dont know plainfield or avon.) i went there recently and the staff was nice and let me hold any gun me and my father asked for and even carried a convo outside when the employee and my father smoked. but there prices on every thing was high, but if you spent $400 you got a free subsub compact 380. as for being a rough area i think is exaggerated. 75% of the business in the mall and surronding area have moved out so the amount of ppl is small as well. i have been going to that area all my life and never had a problem and no one i know personaly has either. when you get past 65 and over the river closer to the city, is when you have problems.

Of course, there's no guarantee that it's not stolen.....

Hmm... Davis guns were/are cheap material, undependable, and usually used by those without much money of their own.

Don's Guns is owned by Don Davis.

Coincidence?

Things that make ya go hmmm.... ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    all he wants to do is make money, it's the most ironic slogan ever! this is no place for a gun enthusiast. Unsafe, unfriendly overpriced environment. If you were a hood who knew nothing about guns then this is the place for you.
    Sadly but, I guess lucky for ol Don there are lots of them in the Indy metro. I suggest staying away!!!!:horse:

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I stopped in with a friend of mine Friday afternoon. I nearly lost it when I saw the price tags on EVERYTHING. 300+ for a Hipoint pistol? Really? 15,000 for a Barrett .50 cal rifle?!? First off why so high? They are not that expensive from the factory.....not even close to the high. Second, why is a weapon of that magnitude being offered to anyone who walks through the door?? "if someone walks in with 15k I wanna have a gun to sell them"...wow

also on the subject of the indoor range, I was not happy with the policy. There is a sign on the wall that says $10 to rent a gun. When I inquired about the 9mm subgun they had in the case....." that one is $100 to rent cause it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to shoot a machinegun, oh plus ammo too, minimum 50 rounds but you'll want more than that". Funny how it's 10X the amount to shoot what I really wanted to shoot.

Overall dirty facility, and I'm not just talking about the floors.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Went once, with a suspicion it was nasty (was new in town). Too smoky to breathe (And I used to be a smoker), prices on everything--guns, holsters, ammo, knives, candy--outrageous. No customer service to speak of unless you pulled out a wad of bills. Gold-plated TEC 9s. LOUD range, and pretty sure there wasn't enough ventilation for the lead.

I was a bit nervous in the parking lot. Not scared, but not a nice place.

And he has a $15,000 Barrett to make his $200 Lorcins look reasonable.

kennys_67

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Owen County, Indiana
    Dons usually sells off brand fly by night hand guns. not trying to knock anyones guns, but I could not buy his store brands. An article in the paper said Dons on 38th street was the second highest purchase per gun criminal act in the nation, there was a guy in the Chicago area that was first

Xamor 101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeeeaaaaaa. Where I stay in Indy it's fairly close to Dons on 38th W and the area around there is REALLY not the best of places to be.....not to mention all the more so actually being in Dons. Just mostly preachin to the choir as I can clearly tell; definitely find somewhere else around Indy to shop

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Don is antigun. He supported the gunshow ban and supported the assult weapons ban. Its all about making you buy from him at his pimp prices.
    I told him he was a crooked sack of **** at a Colts game a few years ago. We sat close enough that we used the same pisser and I used to see him most every game. He talked **** and I told him to f off. After that one we didnt talk and he gives me the eye and I gave him the finger about half the time. In the new stadium he sits about 20 feet from me. He is on a RH end seat and Im 5 rows up a couple seats in from the LH end.
    He is looking bad nowdays and has trouble getting up and down the few rows. I just let him go nowdays. If I had to go home with what he calls a wife Id probably be a adam henry as well.

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Other than VERY high prices, angry unknowable help, dangerous gun handling going on at all times, obvious criminal type’s in the store and loitering in the parking lot it is a great place. Unless you are the guy from your hood that has been sent to rearm your gang I would stay out.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    not crazy but here is what happened on my TWO and ONLY TWO visits...

first time in there I see some long haired skanky lookin guy trying to sell a woman a used stainless PPK-S for $550...a new one across the street at Galyan's at that time was $450. Obvious this woman knew nothing about guns and this guy was working her to buy this overpriced pistol on a layaway plan at an inflated interest rate.

She had a guy with her but he obvioulsy knew as little as she did. I interjected and told her to get a snubby 38 or a 357 and explained the reasoning behind the advice. She liked the wisdom of what I had to say and agreed. Then I told her she also needed to go across the street where she could buy a new one for $100 less or go to Plainfield and buy a used one for even less.

The guy behind the counter became very enraged and tried to give me his best evil look and told me I needed to leave. I asked...so you can scre her out of her cash? Offer her a decent price and she would buy from here. He literally starts toward the opening of the counter and tells me I need to leave or he'll throw me out....while he is openly wearing a loded pistol...I told him he would have one helluva fight to get that done...my pistol was not so evident but when he finally noticed it he thought better of coming around the counter.

The wife and I left quickly with the woman and her friend in tow.

Second time I was in need of soma ammo and Don's was the closest shop. 5.7 FN ammo was about $25/50 rds at the time and Don had his marked at $50/50 rds....as you can guess I did not shoot that pistol that day.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    Way over priced and some folks working there are missing major brain cells, but there is a Labambas near by.. "Burrito as big as your Head!"

This explains it a bit.

www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=4942752

Top Bottom