• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    So my wife, kids and I head to the Foothills Mall this afternoon. This mall on the NW side of Tucson is essentially a huge indoor outlet mall. My wife runs in because she wants to take advantage of the sale at Old Navy $2 tank tops....I choose to sit in the vehicle with the kids running the AC full blast as its 109 outside.

So here she comes, already shaking her head before she even gets in the car. As it always goes at that mall, frustration sits in over the amount of illegal immigrants who have crossed the border to shop, take stuff back across the border in huge suitcases (they haul these around the mall), and then sell them at increased prices in Mexico.

She tells me she is in the Carters Outlet and she is listening to the employee training a new hire. She is telling the new hire how the lady "over there" is Rosie and she is one of our weekly shoppers who comes in to buy for resale. She gets her stuff tax free and gets to utilize discounts. WTF??? :dunno:

Yea....needless to say I was shaking my head by the end of the convo....disgust I tell ya! :noway:

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    If she owns a resale shop that is a legitimate business. She can buy merchandise, materials, and supplies tax exempt. That is if she has a proper tax ID and is not an illegal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    She gets her stuff tax free and gets to utilize discounts. WTF???

I don't understand. Many purchasers are tax exempt, to use a gun example, law enforcement is exempt from federal excise taxes on firearms.

Do you think everyone pays taxes???

Does not Arizona use a card, or tax ID number? Do you believe this to be tax fraud?:dunno:

Last edited:

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't understand. Many purchasers are tax exempt, to use a gun example, law enforcement is exempt from federal excise taxes on firearms.

Does not Arizona use a card, or tax ID number? Do you believe this to be tax fraud?:dunno:

So she gets to cross into America legally or not, purchase a ton of merchandise tax free and at discounted rates and then gets to head back to Mexico to sell it for profit. What am I missing?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

You need to clarify that Kirk.
    A Police Department (Government entity) is exempt from the Federal Tax.
    NOT individual Officers.
    Guns purchased tax free must be the property of the Department.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    As it always goes at that mall, frustration sits in over the amount of illegal immigrants who have crossed the border to shop, take stuff back across the border in huge suitcases (they haul these around the mall), and then sell them at increased prices in Mexico.

There is no way they are "illegals", dragging suitcases across the Rio Grand just to shop here, and then go back to sell in Mexico??? Come on, you got to be kidding... Risk life and limb to cross the border to shop?? I'm afraid that you are making assumptions without all the facts.

As to the buying at discount, that is up to the sellers discretion. Non payment of taxes, if done illegally is a violation by the seller not to collect, not the buyer.

I believe what you wife saw were people that have crossed the border legally, buying product to take back to sell. Or even more likely they are US citizens, buying product to take to relatives that live in Mexico to sell... In the second case they may very well be tax exempt and nothing in any way is being done that is against the law.

Assumptions made without the facts, well we've all heard what ass-u-me means... Facts, with them you can't be wrong, without them it's just rumor.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    It's okay to buy stuff with tax exempt status and sell it in Mexico where no American taxes are collected there either? Seems odd.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    It's okay to buy stuff with tax exempt status and sell it in Mexico where no American taxes are collected there either? Seems odd.

Why? Remember this is state sale tax, if they buyer then sold the items to someone out of state no Arizona taxes would be collected. If the buyer sold them on the internet and YOU bought them here in Indiana, you would of course file the appropriate forms and pay Indiana sales tax? Sorry I don't see anything odd at all, looks like something that happens everyday all over the US.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Why? Remember this is state sale tax, if they buyer then sold the items to someone out of state no Arizona taxes would be collected. If the buyer sold them on the internet and YOU bought them here in Indiana, you would of course file the appropriate forms and pay Indiana sales tax? Sorry I don't see anything odd at all, looks like something that happens everyday all over the US.

I don't doubt they are breaking some tax law or import/export rule.
    I work partime for a foodservice company. They recenty were denied export to Canada on 55,000 pounds of a speciality meat product. The rules are massive.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Lancem, see my follow up message. I said legally or not....They actually come up packed in charter buses. They pile out, grab their empty suitcases, go fill them up and then head back across the boarder.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    So by coming on buses they go through the border legally, and so are visitors, not illegals, nor immigrants, your words, and then they go to stores where they purchase in quantity and so are given a discount by the store owner, I'm still not seeing a problem here.

If then they do not pay sales tax and are not legally exempt, then it is the seller that is breaking the law, not the buyer no matter where they came from...

So I guess I still don't see the problem you have with these buyers, they are doing absolutely nothing that you couldn't do if you wished. I bet that if you went into that store cash in hand and bought hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise weekly that the store owner be cutting you the same deal...

Seems to me you have other issues besides the crowding caused by all of large suitcases in the mall, if they were all Canadians would it be OK then, except for the tax thing of course...?

Top Bottom