• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Very impressive show. Loved how they covered several topics that we all take into consideration, i.e., natural disaster, hyper inflation, EMP, etc. Looks like everyone is on the same page on preparation.

I like how the experts tell them the areas that they are weak on and can improve their survivability. Must say that I liked the price of the train box cars, $4,000. Not a bad price at all and darn near indestructable.

I feel as though it somewhat surpasses info of "The Best Defense: Survival" on the Outdoor Channel. Either way, great information being passed on.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Yeah, thought the same thing. That's not a malfunction of the firearm, just one major brain shart that resulted in his thumb being blown off.

What they should have done was left him there for an hour to see how he'd react (besides passing out). What if the SHTF and you managed to blow your thumb off? No helicopters or hospitals.

That would have tested his survival skills.

My guess is the whole family would have been eaten by fire ants.

You had to know something good was going to happen when the guy bought that half a pig and invited his buddies over with their cameras to take pictures of him showing off with a shovel for the television cameras.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I heard about this show on a commercial and that it was on NAT GEO, I expected that it was intended to at least partially impugn the character, intelligence, and sanity of the people being profiled. I was pleasantly surprised by a balanced, rational presentation of the people involved with little attempt to editorialize.

I like that they have a panel of experts who review the interviewees preps and then they offer suggestions for improvement. That completely unexpected by me, but it greatly solidified my positive impression of the show.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    The "seed" guy was a joke man, I mean c'mon really his tent is gonna prevent nuclear fallout from harming his seeds? The show has bits of watchability nothing more. I think some of the people are prepping for something that the chances for this happening are astronomical. I can see prepping for a natual disaster, attack on US soil, even pandemic or hyperinflation but a polar shift, what about prepping for when apes turn on us and take over the world, oh that'll be on next weeks show.... It's like Son of Guns, it's enertainment no more.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Actually, the earth HAS shifted a bit. (I can't remember if it was 4 degrees or 4%. Or was it 2?) This according to a news report I read several months ago.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Actually, the earth HAS shifted a bit. (I can't remember if it was 4 degrees or 4%. Or was it 2?) This according to a news report I read several months ago.
    The Earth's crust shift continuously as long as the sun heats the Earth, but the last polar shift was when all of the the continents were one giant land mass, Pangea, i.e. a long freakin time ago. I was saying the situations were possible but improbable. You can't possibly plan for everything, but it's nice to have a well rounded prep towards things that would likely happen I guess.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    True. My major prep is toward tornados, and possibly riots. (There are a lot of Chicago gang members living in the town where I work now and the crime rate has exploded there.)
    Earthquakes are in there also, but farther down the list. (Illinois)

Of course, there are wind storms and snow storms (not this year so far) to watch for.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    You Do have it....

If I only had money. I can't bring myself to prep at those levels.

We started small - a lil here a lil there. Just buy a few extra items every time you go to the grocery. Its a small trickle, but soon enough you will see it begin to grow. You can always increase it if you get overtime, tax refund, lottery prize or a dead uncle's Will. But start. A little is better than NONE.

Good luck

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Water, food first. Check out sales. Look for coupons. BOGO sales are great. (Get what you eat.) Learn to can? Maybe start a garden if you can? Even if it's something you don't want right now, if you will use it - say for holidays - and it's on sale, get it now.

After season sales on clothes, backpacks, etc. should also be looked at. (In SHTF situations next year's fashion won't be noticed.) Buy sturdy stuff.

A little at a time. It DOES grow. (Then you will be complaining that you have no place to put it. :D)

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    You have to do what you believe however, it seems that a few of these individuals may be able to survive a disaster but can't survive if things don't change. Time will tell.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    The "seed" guy was a joke man, I mean c'mon really his tent is gonna prevent nuclear fallout from harming his seeds? The show has bits of watchability nothing more. I think some of the people are prepping for something that the chances for this happening are astronomical. I can see prepping for a natual disaster, attack on US soil, even pandemic or hyperinflation but a polar shift, what about prepping for when apes turn on us and take over the world, oh that'll be on next weeks show.... It's like Son of Guns, it's enertainment no more.
    That guy was a little out there. It seemed, at least to me, that he was a little off, and not quite right to begin with.

There were so many flaws in his plans. No water, no real food, his "tents", etc.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    That guy was a little out there. It seemed, at least to me, that he was a little off, and not quite right to begin with.

There were so many flaws in his plans. No water, no real food, his "tents", etc.
    What about his story of an abduction or something, someone drove him to the desert to kill him and take his seeds... I bet he was paid for a gangbang and changed his mind at the last second the guys got pissed and the guy tried to shoot him, but "Seed Man" pulled first and shot both of them. Wow, what was he thinking in the first place?:dunno:

But on a serious note, there are some major preppers who have their **** stocked and weapons cocked. It takes alot of money to do that. I can only afford a little bit at a time, it'll take me years to save up that much.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm still a little unclear on why a "polar shift" would result in a change of seasons as claimed by some people profiled on the show. Season are determined by the "tilt" of the Earth and relative proximity to the big ball of fire in the sky. Even if the magnetic poles shifted 180 degrees (incredibly unlikely), how would it affect either of those?

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm still a little unclear on why a "polar shift" would result in a change of seasons as claimed by some people profiled on the show. Season are determined by the "tilt" of the Earth and relative proximity to the big ball of fire in the sky. Even if the magnetic poles shifted 180 degrees (incredibly unlikely), how would it affect either of those?
    How does the Posi-trac rearend on a Plymouth work?

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The theory is that in a massive polar shift the continents would move. Therefore North America could end up at the equator, or maybe somewhere else entirely. Weather would change dramatically, and seasons could be different, ie You normally have mild winters, but then you'd have ugly ones due to where you are on the surface of the earth having moved.....at least, that's my take on it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The theory is that in a massive polar shift the continents would move. Therefore North America could end up at the equator, or maybe somewhere else entirely. Weather would change dramatically, and seasons could be different, ie You normally have mild winters, but then you'd have ugly ones due to where you are on the surface of the earth having moved.....at least, that's my take on it?

How could the magnetic field of Earth be strong enough to do that? Even if it changes orientation, the forces it could exert are nowhere near the order of magnitude necessary for something like that!

I'm not sure how it could happen suddenly, either. The poles roam constantaly, but not by much on the scale of the Earth. The magnetic field arises from the molten core of iron, nickel, etc. swirling in mostly the same direction. What could make that change drastically and suddenly?

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How could the magnetic field of Earth be strong enough to do that? Even if it changes orientation, the forces it could exert are nowhere near the order of magnitude necessary for something like that!

I'm not sure how it could happen suddenly, either. The poles roam constantaly, but not by much on the scale of the Earth. The magnetic field arises from the molten core of iron, nickel, etc. swirling in mostly the same direction. What could make that change drastically and suddenly?

I never said I agreed with the theory, nor that I understood it, just told you what my understanding of it was lol :D

Top Bottom