• ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And HERE'S YOUR SIGN...
    Ayup, the sign that says I don’t have time to stand in line behind Mary methhead while she counts the number of Sudafed tabs she has and compares it to the amount she’s bought this month, and then watch her pay for all the crap in her cart with EBT. If ordering out things that save me time and frustration makes me eligible for the stupid sign

Last edited by a moderator:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Years and years and years around slaughter house/food processing working on the equipment/refrigeration. I have seen it all. Most folks would drop over if they knew. I used to eat pork fritters as a kid. I loved them. I ill still eat them (certain brands) on occasion even after seeing them made. They are a compost of most everything edible that is left from the good cuts.

And hot dogs. Yes I loves me some hot dogs even after seeing the process multiple times.
    as to the rodent parts...yes parts as in parts. And droppings......there is no way we could filter that out completely. Spend some time around a silo.

I like hotdogs even though most of them are lips and *******s (rhymes with brass holes). :): I still trust them more than pork fritters, but I wouldn't turn my nose down at a good pork fritter sammich either. Best is a hand (meat tenderizer)-flattened piece of pork loin- 6 oz at the minimum, but 8 oz would be even better, then hand breaded and fried. You'd be surprised how big an 8 oz piece of pork can be flattened to. :drool: But honestly, I prefer mine grilled with swiss or even provolone cheese... and mayo, lots of mayo... and lettuce and tomato. :drool::drool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ayup, the sign that says I don’t have time to stand in line behind Mary methhead while she counts the number of Sudafed tabs she has and compares it to the amount she’s bought this month, and then watch her pay for all the crap in her cart with EBT. If ordering out things that save me time and frustration makes me eligible for the stupid sign, you can

Dang man... Your neighborhood sounds... not so nice, if you have to deal with that at your grocery store. Even the Kroger that I go to has the area around it declining and becoming more sketchy, but I haven't run into anything like that there. I just like that it hasn't "upgraded" to the rat maze floor plan that some of the newer Krogers have.

I like nice straight aisles, well-labeled, that run from front of the store to the rear of the store. I don't want to start down an aisle, hit a dead end unless I take a diagonal aisle that leads me to the corner of the store, and then have to navigate back to where that aisle should have logically ended. I've actually become so frustrated that I've walked out and left my cart wherever I happened to be. And it takes a lot to get me to that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dang man... Your neighborhood sounds... not so nice, if you have to deal with that at your grocery store. Even the Kroger that I go to has the area around it declining and becoming more sketchy, but I haven't run into anything like that there. I just like that it hasn't "upgraded" to the rat maze floor plan that some of the newer Krogers have.

I like nice straight aisles, well-labeled, that run from front of the store to the rear of the store. I don't want to start down an aisle, hit a dead end unless I take a diagonal aisle that leads me to the corner of the store, and then have to navigate back to where that aisle should have logically ended. I've actually become so frustrated that I've walked out and left my cart wherever I happened to be. And it takes a lot to get me to that point.
    Well, when they closed the Kmart at Washington and 465, Avon and Plainfield gained more “shoppers”.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, when they closed the Kmart at Washington and 465, Avon and Plainfield gained more “shoppers”.

FixedThankfulBuck-size_restricted.gif

We've got crack motels down on the southside at 31 and 465.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

You would have hated the Marsh at 86th and 465 on the NW side. Large common area for produce. All other areas were in pods around the perimeter in largeish rooms. It was a weird design.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Years and years and years around slaughter house/food processing working on the equipment/refrigeration. I have seen it all. Most folks would drop over if they knew. I used to eat pork fritters as a kid. I loved them. I ill still eat them (certain brands) on occasion even after seeing them made. They are a compost of most everything edible that is left from the good cuts.

And hot dogs. Yes I loves me some hot dogs even after seeing the process multiple times.
    as to the rodent parts...yes parts as in parts. And droppings......there is no way we could filter that out completely. Spend some time around a silo.

I was touring a pet food company in Richmond some years ago and there was this big stainless steel vat of minced chicken meat. The lady said that they used only the best quality of chicken from the supplier, with the rest going to McDonalds for Mcnuggets.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You would have hated the Marsh at 86th and 465 on the NW side. Large common area for produce. All other areas were in pods around the perimeter in largeish rooms. It was a weird design.

Oh yeah... I probably would have turned around and walked right back out if I saw that. :): I'm sure there are marketing whiz kids that have done focus groups and studies that made them decide it was a good strategy to try and get your customers lost in the store and make it as difficult to find what they're looking for as possible, but I don't fit in their models.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Oh yeah... I probably would have turned around and walked right back out if I saw that. :): I'm sure there are marketing whiz kids that have done focus groups and studies that made them decide it was a good strategy to try and get your customers lost in the store and make it as difficult to find what they're looking for as possible, but I don't fit in their models.

That strategy seems to work well for Jungle Jim's but they have a lot more going for them than Marsh ever did. The local Marsh did a big re-model about a year before they closed, about the only things I could determine that they accomplished were making things harder to find and the refrigerated section poorer at keeping things properly cold.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

One of the best retailers does this to great success all the time. Their employees even joke about them moving products and they can't even find them.

Costco.

They do have research that indicates that if they leave the layout set customers fall into a pattern and buy less because they did not see the other merchandise. Costco makes you traverse the entire store to get what you need, seeing new items and buying more.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I loved Marsh. First, I worked there as a summer job for about 5 consecutive summers in the 90s. Second, no one else shopped there. No crowds.... ever. AND if you wanted ripe produce like avocados, Marsh was your place. Produce was always ripe because no one was buying it.

Some people don't door dash out of laziness. We door dash with fair frequency, not because we are lazy, but if our kids seem like they aren't going to behave for an outing we would rather not subject ourselves or the other patrons to their behavior. 4 year olds aren't always easy to dine out with.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of the best retailers does this to great success all the time. Their employees even joke about them moving products and they can't even find them.

Costco.

They do have research that indicates that if they leave the layout set customers fall into a pattern and buy less because they did not see the other merchandise. Costco makes you traverse the entire store to get what you need, seeing new items and buying more.

Maybe I'm the outlier then. I'm not an impulse buyer. I make a list and pretty much stick to it unless I happen to see something that should have been on the list, but that I forgot to add to it. I want to get in and out as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you make me work for it, not only will I buy less, I'm more likely not to buy anything at all (and possibly leave my cart abandoned in your "maze"). I'm so anal, I generally even organize my list according to how the store is laid out as much as possible. :):

Never been to Costco, but I'm guessing Sam's Club is similar, and I absolutely HATE Sam's Club. With very few exceptions, I found Sam's to actually be higher priced than the stores I normally shop. Some people think, "It's in a huge box, so it must be cheaper!" But when you break it down and compare ounce to ounce, pound to pound, it just wasn't (as far as groceries go anyhow). Now I have heard that Sam's has good prices on tires and maybe some other things like that.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...but if our kids seem like they aren't going to behave for an outing we would rather not subject ourselves or the other patrons to their behavior. 4 year olds aren't always easy to dine out with.

^^^^Not all heroes wear capes people.^^^^

giphy.gif

Seriously, thank you.:yesway:

As I become a grumpy old man, it drives me crazy to be out to dinner at a decent place and be surrounded by kids behaving like they're at Chuck-E-Cheese's.:soapbox:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ^^^^Not all heroes wear capes people.^^^^

giphy.gif

Seriously, thank you.:yesway:

As I become a grumpy old man, it drives me crazy to be out to dinner at a decent place and be surrounded by kids behaving like they're at Chuck-E-Cheese's.:soapbox:

Agreed! That was rep-worthy. :yesway: And as for becoming a grumpy old man, I was just telling my sister the other day that I'm gradually turning into Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace. :):

Top Bottom