• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    came across a link to pistol-training.com » Dot Torture a while back on here.
    decided i would give it a try. went to the range on lunch with my m&p 9mm compact. only have four magazines so i did have to reload a mag during the drill, but either way it was an eye opener. i printed the page on an 8.5x11 paper. first round (at ten feet) i hit only 23 of 50. second round, after kinda getting the feel for what i was supposed to be doing, i hit 30 out of 50. has anyone else done this drill and what were your thought/experiences?
    i think i will make this a once a week or more drill as i think it could definately help me out.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    came across a link to pistol-training.com » Dot Torture a while back on here.
    decided i would give it a try. went to the range on lunch with my m&p 9mm compact. only have four magazines so i did have to reload a mag during the drill, but either way it was an eye opener. i printed the page on an 8.5x11 paper. first round (at ten feet) i hit only 23 of 50. second round, after kinda getting the feel for what i was supposed to be doing, i hit 30 out of 50. has anyone else done this drill and what were your thought/experiences?
    i think i will make this a once a week or more drill as i think it could definately help me out.

I have a similar drill where we use different Colored Paper Plates and the Non-Shooter calls out the Color you are supposed to shoot at their whim... ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Very familiar with Dot Torture. I hate it. But its a great fundamentals assessment. :yesway:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I did the same thing with the 8.5x11 paper and was amazed at how close I had to get to get 50/50. I think it was probably three yards or so and even then the weak hand was touching the edge. I guess you're supposed to start close and slowly work backward keeping your accuracy. I'm going to have my first AR built up soon and figure I'll use something similar to begin my work on learning how to shoot rifles.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You'll wish you could do it at point-blank range. :D

I was quite tempted to do like you say and just walk up, put the muzzle against the paper ala duck hunt.

Thanks. I wasn't being critical or claiming it was easy...just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong. Had a lot to eat at the China Buffet for lunch today...brain is starting to crash. :)

mmmmSG!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I was quite tempted to do like you say and just walk up, put the muzzle against the paper ala duck hunt.

I wanted too as well. at least this didnt come with that laughing dog every time you missed.

duckhuntdog.jpg

My thoughts are...

DuckHuntDog6-22-2010-2w.jpg

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you can cleanly hit a one inch dot a 10 feet, you can hit a human-sized target at 100 yards.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Two inchs at 10 feet? That's generous.

I always made students shoot 5 rounds on one inch dots. You can't fake mastery of marksmanship principles on a one inch dot. That's for sure.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Two inchs at 10 feet? That's generous.

I always made students shoot 5 rounds on one inch dots. You can't fake mastery of marksmanship principles on a one inch dot. That's for sure.

The group I shoot with uses time as the offset for the 2" target size at 10 feet against your friends time knowing the looser has to buy the nights Beer for them is a pretty good motivator. At least for me anyway... :dunno:

Top Bottom