• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's exactly how the economy works. You pass a massive tax cut, during an already good economy, and if the market tanks - pain.

Show me where tax cuts influenced any stock negatively, and that fears of interest rate hikes due to inflation has nothing to do with the crash.

Good luck swimming upstream.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Show me where tax cuts influenced any stock negatively, and that fears of interest rate hikes due to inflation has nothing to do with the crash.

Good luck swimming upstream.

That wasn't said, nor implied.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Because he knows there is no shortage of other voices salivating to credit him for anything bad? :dunno:

Still up 6013 from when he was elected

Still up 5518 from when he was inaugurated

I'm long in stocks. I'll take it

Makes sense

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I'm really tired of the MSM screaming about a point drop, when that means nothing. Percentage is what counts. When you're up over 25,000 OF COURSE there are going to be "record" point drops. But that's a nothingburger with a large side of red herring.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That's exactly how the economy works. You pass a massive tax cut, during an already good economy, and if the market tanks - pain.

That isn't at all how economies work. You're conflating government fiscal policy with the overall economy. If you pass a tax break and the economy tanks, then you have decreased tax revenue. But that is an effect of the economy upon the government bottom line, not "how the economy works."

And to your preceding quote: if the 401k takes a hit, how is that worse with lower taxes than without?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Dow back up +567. Futures show, shall we say ... optimism.

Trump gets the "blame" for this, too - right?
    Kutsistency would seem to require it

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dow back up +567. Futures show, shall we say ... optimism.

Trump gets the "blame" for this, too - right?
    Kutsistency would seem to require it

Nobody needs to give him credit he will take it for himself

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That isn't at all how economies work. You're conflating government fiscal policy with the overall economy. If you pass a tax break and the economy tanks, then you have decreased tax revenue. But that is an effect of the economy upon the government bottom line, not "how the economy works."

And to your preceding quote: if the 401k takes a hit, how is that worse with lower taxes than without?

I'll say it again, that exactly how the economy works. If you disagree, dig up Milton Friedman, and argue with him and the tooth fairy.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'll say it again, that exactly how the economy works. If you disagree, dig up Milton Friedman, and argue with him and the tooth fairy.

I don't recall Milton Friedman ever saying a tax cut during a boom is a bad thing. Bad for government on the downswing? Sure, but again, that's fiscal.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't recall Milton Friedman ever saying a tax cut during a boom is a bad thing. Bad for government on the downswing? Sure, but again, that's fiscal.

He didn't address it because, it's depended on place. Conventional economic wisdom is to pass tax cuts during down times to spur buying. If you pass a cut during a boom (possibly overheating the economy), and the market crashes, you are going to have issues. You can't double down with another cut. The result is a longer and more severe recession, approaching a depression. The reason why it's location specific, is because some nations will do what is necessary to pull themselves out of such; that would be by slashing govt spending. Many of the first world economies in Europe would do this. This would not happen in the United States. Milton Friedman explains it as:
    "Suppose the government spends $400 billion, and raises $350 billion in funds labeled taxes. Who do you suppose pays for the $50 billion difference? The Tooth-Fairy? Hardly. You do."
    So, it is reasonable to keep tax cuts in your back pocket until they are actually needed, because the potential downside is enormous.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I wonder why we even have taxes. If we can run a $9 trillion deficit per year (not ignoring social security and medicare) and bring in a few trillion in taxes, why does it even matter?

Top Bottom