• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I want to discuss this thread from a 1st amendment standpoint. Do not interject racial language in this thread!

FOXNews.com - Dr. Laura to End Show Amid N-Word Flap

A transcript of the context is here.

FULL AUDIO: Dr. Laura Schlessinger's N-word rant | Media Matters for America

Turn on morning radio in any major market in the US and you will hear filth you wouldn't dare let your kids hear.

Considering the context of the speech does Dr. Laura make a point?

I believe free speech should be just that... Free!
    The radio is a simple device. If you don't like what you are hearing change the channel or turn it off.
    Had this been a liberal talk radio host, we all know they would have been given a pass.

Back to free speech, are there certain words that we are not allowed to use?
    Has someone compiled a list?
    Does that list pertain to everyone or just certain people?

I also believe that the context in which a word is said should be taken into account.
    What true weight do words carry?
    As kids we were all taught "Sticks and stones"
    As a Citizen I should be able to rant and rave about anything using any word I choose, so long as I don't commit a crime doing so. i.e making a threat, inciting a riot, slander......
    The word Dr. Laura used is not one on the FCC ban list.
    It sickens me to know we live in the land of the thinned skin people.
    Everyone is so easily upset about something someone else says.
    There is a massive rush to claim victim status.

I look forward to see where Dr. Laura goes with this.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

According to the FCC there is.

See above.

Only certain people. Some can use offensive language while others would be crucified for using the same word.

I also believe that the context in which a word is said should be taken into account.

I agree.

Words are meaningless unless someone chooses to be offended. Why do women get offended if a guy calls her a certain word? Does his opinion matter THAT much to her? Don't get me wrong. I don't use that particular word simply because it bothers women, but there isn't a word that you could call me that would cause me to be offended.

May break my bones but whips and chains excite me. :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't think Dr. Laura did anything wrong.

That said, this isn't a free speech issue. Dr. Laura is free to say what she wants and people who listen to her are free to put pressure on her sponsors to make her shut up. It's freedom on both sides.

As to using that word, anyone in the public eye who doesn't know that any use of that word is going to cause controversy, is being naive. Should she be able to use it in that context without a bunch of idiots losing their minds? Sure. And I should be richer and thinner, and we should all make love not war. There's the way the world is, and the way we wish it was. That word, used in any context by a prominent white person - especially a conservative white person - is going to bring on an excrement storm.

If you think the world is thin skinned, you're right. Look no farther than the rules of certain online discussion forums.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I want to discuss this thread from a 1st amendment standpoint. Do not interject racial language in this thread!

FOXNews.com - Dr. Laura to End Show Amid N-Word Flap

A transcript of the context is here.

FULL AUDIO: Dr. Laura Schlessinger's N-word rant | Media Matters for America

Turn on morning radio in any major market in the US and you will hear filth you wouldn't dare let your kids hear.

Yep, I believe this is called "pushing the limits" on those with Traditional, healthy standards of life.

And if you dont like it, you are called a "hater", intolerant and other crap, nevermind "Your" standard can be slammed as 'trashy', outdated etc..

Considering the context of the speech does Dr. Laura make a point?

Ofcourse she does, 100%, and she paid for being correct, and bended to our own cowardice by her oppressive elitist-like bosses.

I believe free speech should be just that... Free!

Then, perhaps moving to Iraq will help you. America's idea of freedom of speech is a joke.
    Make a legitimate claim, about something the elitist or they're shills dont approve of, and watch for the noose.

Ofcourse, the U.S. is lightyears ahead of many European Nations, Germany, Sweden etc, where you can be jailed for saying thing's which are considered taboo, thanks to the Elitist over there, wishing to silence the very many truths.

The radio is a simple device. If you don't like what you are hearing change the channel or turn it off.

Agreed.

Had this been a liberal talk radio host, we all know they would have been given a pass.

Ofcourse, 10 minutes of Racist Rachel Maddow will show that.

America is home to the double standards.

NO.

Probably, but out of ignorance.

It does, but only to a targetted group of people, and nobody else.

Context means nothing compared to preception of what that word means coming from Group A to Group B.

Only the emotionally charged, half truth history which is taught, out of context.

Words carry the weight of man's honor - Take it how you will .

Well, that's just a ridiculous philosophy to begin. Words do hurt, words do cause emotion. Look at the girl who killed herself over words (I believe), the young Irish girl.

I've been hit with many thing's, sticks and stones are included, and nothing hurts more than some of the thing's I've had the pleasure to hear, I take a stone & stick anyday; Thankfully my skin has thickened.

As a Citizen I should be able to rant and rave about anything using any word I choose, so long as I don't commit a crime doing so. i.e making a threat, inciting a riot, slander......

Well you dont. You can, and you will certainly have 'trouble' if you are in a professional career and works finds out, you could also face other problems of a legal nature - Im sure.

The word Dr. Laura used is not one on the FCC ban list.

I wonder why.... Is it because a certain industry promotes it? I suppose if it was banned for everyone, certain folks would be screaming about oppression, censorship etc.

It sickens me to know we live in the land of the thinned skin people.

Go to Europe and talk about thin skinned people, and do some ranting and raving; Thank god they're jails are 5 Star hotels LMAO:laugh:

Everyone is so easily upset about something someone else says.

It's called Brainwashing, conditioning.

There is a massive rush to claim victim status.

I look forward to see where Dr. Laura goes with this.

Dr. Laura bowed down, admitting she was terribly wrong, offensive and should never speak like what she did, even though she made a legitimate point.

Doom on her for thinking she could speak outside of what the Elitist want said.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Politically correct censorship .

I know how she feels .

GC understood this first ...

Seven dirty words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all the way to the Supreme Court ...

george-carlin.jpg

YouTube - 7 Dirty Words

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I don't think Dr. Laura did anything wrong.

That said, this isn't a free speech issue. Dr. Laura is free to say what she wants and people who listen to her are free to put pressure on her sponsors to make her shut up. It's freedom on both sides.

As to using that word, anyone in the public eye who doesn't know that any use of that word is going to cause controversy, is being naive. Should she be able to use it in that context without a bunch of idiots losing their minds? Sure. And I should be richer and thinner, and we should all make love not war. There's the way the world is, and the way we wish it was. That word, used in any context by a prominent white person - especially a conservative white person - is going to bring on an excrement storm.

If you think the world is thin skinned, you're right. Look no farther than the rules of certain online discussion forums.
    ^^^This. It's not a free speech issue, per se, as she made the decision to step down. Words are methods of communication. They do mean different things to different people.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    She called a spade a spade, and made a point that "us whites" have been making for years.
    She should have the same rights as anyone else. Who you are, what career you have or how many people listen to you shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I read the transcript and I can't say I disagree with her. I don't think she made the points as well as she could have, but perhaps that's live radio for you...no time to formulate ideas clearly. I like her point about the n-word though. That word is bull-**** and has always been bull-****. I refuse to allow words to have that kind of power and I don't know why others haven't joined. Why isn't there a word with that much power for white people? Because white people don't give any word that much power over them.

There is a video that I always remember of a white kid outside of a club who calls a black guy a *. The black guy and about 20 others, including other white guys and girls, all jump the guy, kick him, stomp his head, and almost kill him for minutes until the police show up. While the police are securing the situation they asked one of the onlookers what happened. The onlooker said "That guy called the other guy a *". The policeman just shook his head and laughed and said he had it coming then, and the onlookers just laughed and agreed. WTF!

Although I choose to not use the word as much as possible, words only have the power that people give them. No word should ever have that kind of power.

Last edited by a moderator:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Laura Schlessinger is a liberal wrapped in a neocon's plain paper bag.
    She uses the liberal tactic of self victimization on larry king, "Oh my free speech is being taken away".

I'm glad she's washed up/out.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    She called a spade a spade

Now that's funny!

Free speech only applies to government control. Her employers are perfectly free to limit her vocabulary all they want.

I don't care about the uproar over the use of a word that has the history of negativity that the N word does. But until it's universally abhorred, I won't bat an eye when a non-black uses it because I fail to see how it can be so bad in and of itself that it's use in any context by a white person is completely unacceptable while the black population continues to use it on a regular basis for both positive and negative as it suits their purpose.

Top Bottom