• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yes, now you are getting it. Their company, their rules. If I had you over for dinner and you started spouting hate, I would have you removed. You do understand that the 1a is prohibition against government action, and not that of individuals, right?

If you have a problem with "bosses" setting the rules for their business, you can always start your own. I sometimes visit a liberty oriented forum that is completely unmoderated. Let that sink in. Anything goes. It was the decision of the owner to set it up that way. The individuals funding the project are fine with that. Free market. In this case, the individuals funding the radio program no longer liked the content, so they withdrew their support. Free market decision. When a radio program can no longer be viable due to lack of sponsorship, it goes off the air. The message being delivered by the hosts are irrelevant - no one wants to pay for it anymore. Would your solution to this problem be to force the sponsors to continue their support of the program against their will? What would that be called?

Conversely, you have the ability to start your own radio program and say what you wish if you can secure the funding. You are the owner of this property, so now you get to set the rules. At this point, the only censorship you would have to be concerned about is that of the FCC (an alphabet soup I see no need for, honestly).

In your scenario, what actions would you authorize the government (the enforcement agency in play outside the free market) take to ensure that Dr. Laura stayed on the air?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    No one censored her at all. She said the N word at least 6 times. Censorship would have been the FCC doing something about it or shutting her down.

Why does the number of times she said, it have any relevance?

Yes, now you are getting it. Their company, their rules. If I had you over for dinner and you started spouting hate, I would have you removed.

Are you suggesting that Dr. Laura was spouting hate?

Do you find anything that she said to be untrue or hateful?

RegionRaider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Hammond
    So if you kicked the crap out Glen Beck because you're just plain tired of the wussy arze crying; you're not violating his 1st amendment rights it's just simple assault and battery.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see many are exhibiting another example of spouting off about being lovers of freedom, but not respecting the freedom of an employer to get rid of an employee for hurting their business. If you want to do something about this, exert your own free choice and boycott those who sponser the show and let them know why.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Well since GM pulled out I guess the Government control of the company means nothing? What the heck if Obama's people won't prosecute the New Black Panther Party scumbags from threatening people at the polls, why would it be a surprise if they don't like what Dr. Laura said? One Amendment is not any more important than another to this guy.

Try to look a little deeper, life or reality rarely appear on paper so neatly.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Radio hosts censor every call that comes into their shows. Not only that, but they edit the calls to favor their individual cause. It is a for-profit business, not a public free speech forum.

Trust me........I have called Dr. Laura, Mark Levin, and the list goes on..........
    The essence of there job is to censor and screen the content. This way they can appear uncontested and invincible.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    No one fired her. She hasn't even quit yet. She simply announced she was leaving at the end of her contract. There has been no censorship.
    Sadly though the reaction is where I have a problem.

groovatron if this would have happed to a talk show host you did like, would you be defending them?
    I haven't heard you find fault with anything she did, but you seem happy that she was run through the mill.
    I look at things a bit differently and I will support those I oppose, if they are being attacked unjustly.

Dr. Laura tells audience what's hurt her the most [poll] | Ministry of Gossip | Los Angeles Times

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    snip.
    groovatron if this would have happed to a talk show host you did like, would you be defending them?
    I haven't heard you find fault with anything she did, but you seem happy that she was run through the mill.
    I look at things a bit differently and I will support those I oppose, if they are being attacked unjustly.

It has happened to talk show hosts that I favor. I used to be a big Jay Marvin fan. He has had his neck through the wringer on several stations in many states over the years.

My last post pretty much sums up my position. Dr. Laura's job is rooted in unfair censorship......just like any other opinion based talkshow host. If she has crossed sponsorship lines with her conduct, then it was a bad business decision on her part. She still has the right to walk down the street with a sign, post a blog, or start her very own independent internet radio station. If her resignation is a statement of her independence to the allowances and views of her employers, then more power to her. If the government stepped in and said....."you can't say that kind of thing"......then that's where you cross the line IMO. Its no different then anyone elses job. If you want to work for someone, you must abide by their rules.......afterall, it is ultimately your choice to work for them. It's also similar to INGO. We are bigtime censored on this site. Fenway's site, Fenway's rules. If we don't like it, we can leave.

As far as my distaste for Dr. Laura, well, I suppose it's just a guilty pleasure for me to watch those I despise suffer a bit:dunno: Maybe it makes me coldhearted, but it's an honest human trait that I'm not afraid to exhibit. It's sorta like when a rival sports team looses the big game even though your team didn't even make the playoffs.:D

This doesn't mean that I want to see anyones rights violated, I just don't see that as the case in this paticular instance.:twocents:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    One thing that really boggles my mind is that she went ahead and apologized the next day on her show. I don't see why. If she is so into her position, then why apologize? It's all just a big ole fake game.

And for the record, I agree with much of what she said about the "n-word." I think her mistake was using a womans legitimate concern with her husband to play the "reverse racism" card. It wasn't very tactful to say the least.

Black people don't seem to have a problem with Lisa Lampanelli. Maybe Dr. Laura needs to watch some of her stand up. :dunno:

Top Bottom