• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    These Draco SBR threads are enticing. Got any more pictures besides the upside-down one? :D

Hopefully these turn out ok. Keep in mind it's a work in progress my shipment from OST hasn't arrived yet.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Jt i'm not quite sure i understand what you're asking but i'll show you what i did

UltimakM1.jpg
    I essentially just cut off the last bit, then used a unibit to carve out the inside to make it fit over gas block.

If you were talking about the lower handguard rail, i don't have my ultimak yet so i don't know if anything needs to be removed or not. The rail that is on there now is a black jack one.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Jt i'm not quite sure i understand what you're asking but i'll show you what i did I essentially just cut off the last bit, then used a unibit to carve out the inside to make it fit over gas block.

If you were talking about the lower handguard rail, i don't have my ultimak yet so i don't know if anything needs to be removed or not. The rail that is on there now is a black jack one.

Okay, I was wondering if you did it that way or this way:
    Draco_01.jpg

Draco_02.jpg

This way looks WAY harder, but It makes the rail a little longer and kinda blends the rail to the gun.
    I know you have seen Gardner's Draco, because that is the picture you used in the OP for the ultimak rail, but you should check out the original post here. On page 6 someone talks about how they got the rail to look like the above pics.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Okay, I was wondering if you did it that way or this way:

Draco_02.jpg

This way looks WAY harder, but It makes the rail a little longer and kinda blends the rail to the gun.
    I know you have seen Gardner's Draco, because that is the picture you used in the OP for the ultimak rail, but you should check out the original post here. On page 6 someone talks about how they got the rail to look like the above pics.

I was involved in the thread you linked to... I thought about leaving the rail on the top when I did mine, but decided that the benefit (looks) was outweighed by the possibility that the Ultimak might get snagged and bend or (worse) crack. Even if it cracked it would still function, but I didn't want the risk. :twocents:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I was involved in the thread you linked to... I thought about leaving the rail on the top when I did mine, but decided that the benefit (looks) was outweighed by the possibility that the Ultimak might get snagged and bend or (worse) crack. Even if it cracked it would still function, but I didn't want the risk. :twocents:
    I saw your Draco in that thread. I haven't decided how I am going to do mine, I was just wondering how the OP did it and suggesting a alternative way.
    Without having a ultimak in my hands I am not sure how worried I would be with it snagging, although that is something I hadn't thought of. With how thin the rails in the pictures I posted look, I am not sure I would want to put anything on those rails (or if it would even be possible), but it sure does look pretty cool.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I saw your Draco in that thread. I haven't decided how I am going to do mine, I was just wondering how the OP did it and suggesting a alternative way.
    Without having a ultimak in my hands I am not sure how worried I would be with it snagging, although that is something I hadn't thought of. With how thin the rails in the pictures I posted look, I am not sure I would want to put anything on those rails (or if it would even be possible), but it sure does look pretty cool.

I don't think it would crack very easily, and it does look cool. Either way is valid IMO, I just chose to go with what I thought would/might be more durable. Knowing myself, I'd replace the Ultimak if it cracked (~$100) even if it remained perfectly functional...

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    That does look pretty good, though i would also think it would crack or bend easily. It is difficult as it is to get the thing to seat itself without having the longer tip messing with the insertion angles. Aesthetically pleasing though i must admit.

Agreed on the pit trip buddy

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Got any more of that ammo? :)

Honestly i don't like that rail much and i'll tell you why. It mounts just like wood stock so there is still a little play in it, yeah, you're not mounting optics on it but it's still not my flavor. It's yours if you want it.

Still waiting on parts to make this thing super d duper sexy sorry for the lull in information/pictures

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The lull while waiting on parts is why I will probably not post any pictures of mine until it is done. I won't be able to afford all the parts I want at one time (esp the rail! geez those are expensive! but only the best for by little SBR). I am debating on the US palm grip (my original plan) or an AR grip adapter and a MOE grip (I love the MOE on my AR). I am also debating on the Top cover rail right now because I want to get a lightning bolt done to mine.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    picture.php
    picture.php

Ok folks here is the latest update as all of my parts arrived today!

Parts:
    Ace folding mechanism
    Ace skeleton stock (paracord wrapped)
    UsPalm magazine
    UsPalm grip
    Krebs enhanced safety
    Krebs canted vertical grip adapter
    TWS hinged top cover
    Ultimak M1-b (cut down) gas tube
    Ultimak tri rail
    Chaos HK rear sight
    Aimpoint T-1
    Magpul VFG

I'm really digging the set up as it's ergonomically perfect for me. For those on the fence about SBR'n your draco, do it! If i were to do it again, i might be inclined not to purchase the Ultimak tri rail. It's too heavy for the price. Its sturdy and solid as hell, but for the over inflated price, the thing is pretty damn heavy. I also chose not to use my krinkov flash hider. I just wasn't that into it. I'll probably sell it on here at some point.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Perfectly. Looks like a lower 1/3. The chaos rear was a better choice for me as the non adjustable peep sight they offer was kinda mediocre. I prefer the extra adjustment options.

Top Bottom