• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    My buddy and I both ended up with a Firearm Draw (on different days, luckily). We were both born before 1986, but completed the Hunter Ed course with our boys this year. I know it helps with the State Park Hunt, but not sure about the Military/Refuge Deer Draw.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Awesome!! I got a draw for Newport on 11/24 - 11/25! :)

OK, now I need help.

Is there an FAQ on how these work? Ive never hunted outside of private property of people I know. This is a whole new world for me!

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I got drawn for Newport for Nov. 26, & 27.
    I have only hunted there once about 10 years ago. Didn't kill anytging, but did see a big one.
    Anybody have any tips on good areas?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I got drawn for a gun deer hunt @ Crane. I've never been there. Any advice?

It's pretty cut and dry. You'll be inspected at the gate. DON'T have any loose pistol or rifle casings in your vehicle. Only have your ammo for your shotgun or muzzleloader. Make sure they are not loaded, like Indiana law, and remember you're on Federal Property.

Look at the results for last year when picking your area, kinda handy.

Arrive pretty close to the time posted on your card, you'll have to wait of course, but so does everyone else.

Most of the instructions are cut and dry.

Actually, all the roads are in the Garmin GPS maps, so if you get one of their big maps, you don't have to get as lost as you might normally do when going to a new area.

Good Luck

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I got drawn for a gun deer hunt @ Crane. I've never been there. Any advice?

I've been told to SIT all day. Many people seem to want to take a break for lunch and that moves the deer around.

Look at an overhead of the place and try to figure out what area you want to target.

This will be my first year hunting there and I've been driving around the place a LOT. There are TONS of deer everywhere.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some of the PDF's they have on the Crane Natural Resources internal website.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Titanium Man... I also got drawn for the archery and ML for Muscatatuck, can I scout the area before the season starts? Do you have a link for the harvest in previous links?... Thanks.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Titanium Man... I also got drawn for the archery and ML for Muscatatuck, can I scout the area before the season starts? Do you have a link for the harvest in previous links?... Thanks.

Ironically, my best buddy always invites me, and if memory serves me, you have to go there ahead of time for "class instruction", then you'll get your area, which I understand is huge, and then you can go scout it, and put your stands where you want them, prior to the hunt weekend. I believe this is correct, but don't quote me until you get your packet!! I've slept quite a bit since then. Take care and hunt safe!!:yesway:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Ironically, my best buddy always invites me, and if memory serves me, you have to go there ahead of time for "class instruction", then you'll get your area, which I understand is huge, and then you can go scout it, and put your stands where you want them, prior to the hunt weekend. I believe this is correct, but don't quote me until you get your packet!! I've slept quite a bit since then. Take care and hunt safe!!:yesway:

Hunt Packet??? This is all very new, I read the entire PDF attached with the result and this is very new to me :xmad: IN DNR isn't very clear.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I got drawn for a gunhunt for Big Oaks and archery at Muscatatuck. I never hunted Muscatatuck before. Any suggestions would be great.

Does anyone know when the state park hunts and Deer Creek deer hunt results will be posted?

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Got drawn for Atterbury firearms. I've seen mention on other boards of some preferred areas (1-7), but I can't find any maps or drawings online that show where the areas are on the base, just the FWA across the road (areas 8-13 I think).

Anyone have an area map for Atterbury? Then I'll be able to work the maps and Google Earth to find a couple of places to try to get to to set up.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I got drawn for the early hunt (11-14/15) at Pokagon! Never hunted the rut before. I hunted there last year in the late hunt (11-29/30 IIRC) and saw nothing. Heard two shots in two days.

Top Bottom