• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Allen Edmonds released a whole bunch of factory seconds a few days ago, about $196 for a pair of $450 shoes after a 25% discount if you are LEO, Military or a Student. Just got a pair of Strand's and the only "defect" is a black mark on the sole no one will ever see

https://www.allenedmonds.com/factory-second-shoes/

qa4o5gWh.jpg

uZjw4drm.jpg

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    If you're close to downtown, Clark's store in Circle Center Mall has about 40 different styles marked down and there's an additional 60% off. Picked up $800 worth of shoes for $210.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dean's post pretty well should have been the end of the thread. But I'll reiterate.....Just buy a pair of Allen Edmonds and be done with it. They can be re-soled and will be cheaper in the long run than continuing to buy new cheap shoes as they wear out. And Allen Edmonds are extremely high quality.

I have a pair of Allen Edmond's Fifth Avenue shoes that I absolutely love they are made in the USA and are on a Goodyear Welt so they can be resoled and essentially never wear out. Very comfortable after about a couple days break in. I waited for their big annual "made in the USA" sale around October/November and only paid like $220 for them at the store in Chicago (the same sale happened at the Allen Edmond's store at the Keystone Fashion Mall). These shoes have garnered almost as many compliments as my Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger boots.

wWZ8jRgh.jpg

Fifth Avenue - Cap-toe Lace-up Oxford Mens Dress Shoes by Allen Edmonds

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I wanted to quickly revisit this thread.

Based on some of the comments here, I shopped around and found a pair of mid-grade Florsheims to replace my Oxfords earlier this year.

They are the worst dress shoes I've ever bought, and I'm not looking for some super-shoe either...just expecting good, basic performance, and hope for a year of life.

The first set immediately (day TWO) separated a heel at not only where it meets the sole, but the heel ITSELF started separating into it's component parts.

So I'm unhappy, right? I called Wisconsin, and they were excellent! Just like Vortex, they sent me a brand-new warranty replacement, with nothing but a few pictures and a phone call.

I was so happy with that experience, and looking forward to a good shoe.

...the warranty shoe, despite being the same LABEL, is not the same effin' SIZE. No way, no how, doesn't even come close to fitting the way the first did. I've sorta cobbled-up the first shoe, and now IT'S GD SEAM is pulling lose at the instep of the right shoe.

I'm not calling again.

-Nate

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I used to have some Florsheims Brogues years ago before I saw the light with AE's. The quality was there but that was 20+ years ago. Yes, I'm :oldwise:. The Florsheims were not as comfortable as the AE's.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I wanted to quickly revisit this thread.

Based on some of the comments here, I shopped around and found a pair of mid-grade Florsheims to replace my Oxfords earlier this year.

They are the worst dress shoes I've ever bought, and I'm not looking for some super-shoe either...just expecting good, basic performance, and hope for a year of life.

The first set immediately (day TWO) separated a heel at not only where it meets the sole, but the heel ITSELF started separating into it's component parts.

So I'm unhappy, right? I called Wisconsin, and they were excellent! Just like Vortex, they sent me a brand-new warranty replacement, with nothing but a few pictures and a phone call.

I was so happy with that experience, and looking forward to a good shoe.

...the warranty shoe, despite being the same LABEL, is not the same effin' SIZE. No way, no how, doesn't even come close to fitting the way the first did. I've sorta cobbled-up the first shoe, and now IT'S GD SEAM is pulling lose at the instep of the right shoe.

I'm not calling again.

-Nate

I wanted to RE-revisit this thread.

Florsheim.

The SECOND, warranty replacement pair of shoes from Florsheim...

...just broke the heel lose, same as the first set. I started wearing the new pair about the first week of May, and I wear them 3-4 days/week; I alternated for a month or two with the "old pair" when I could...maybe 1/3-2/3rds. So I am going to order a new set of shoes within 6 months of actual wear.

Florsheim is out all their margin on a set of shoes because of the warranty replacement (which I did appreciate), and all the time dealing with my claim. I am out most of the use-value of a set of shoes I really wanted to like, so much so that I've been wearing a mis-labeled size for months now.

There has not been a "winner" in this entire interaction, and it's kinda like a scope manufacturer that sells a sketchy Chinese product, "...but their customer service and warranty replacements are so awesome!"

False. Economy.

I anti-recommend.

-Nate

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I wanted to RE-revisit this thread.

Florsheim.

The SECOND, warranty replacement pair of shoes from Florsheim...

...just broke the heel lose, same as the first set. I started wearing the new pair about the first week of May, and I wear them 3-4 days/week; I alternated for a month or two with the "old pair" when I could...maybe 1/3-2/3rds. So I am going to order a new set of shoes within 6 months of actual wear.

Florsheim is out all their margin on a set of shoes because of the warranty replacement (which I did appreciate), and all the time dealing with my claim. I am out most of the use-value of a set of shoes I really wanted to like, so much so that I've been wearing a mis-labeled size for months now.

There has not been a "winner" in this entire interaction, and it's kinda like a scope manufacturer that sells a sketchy Chinese product, "...but their customer service and warranty replacements are so awesome!"

False. Economy.

I anti-recommend.

-Nate
    Allen Edmonds for the win!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have a pair of Allen Edmond's Fifth Avenue shoes that I absolutely love they are made in the USA and are on a Goodyear Welt so they can be resoled and essentially never wear out. Very comfortable after about a couple days break in. I waited for their big annual "made in the USA" sale around October/November and only paid like $220 for them at the store in Chicago (the same sale happened at the Allen Edmond's store at the Keystone Fashion Mall). These shoes have garnered almost as many compliments as my Red Wing Heritage Iron Ranger boots.

wWZ8jRgh.jpg

Fifth Avenue - Cap-toe Lace-up Oxford Mens Dress Shoes by Allen Edmonds

This. Not necessarily the 5th Avenue but get Allen Edmonds. I own at least 8 or 9 pair.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/all-shoes/?start=1&sz=117

Cap toe, monk strap, oxford, blucher, wingtip.....

well made by american craftsmen, and can be completely re-crafted from the ground up as well as resoled. I think the last pair I had re-crafted cost $90 and you basically get a brand new pair of shoes back that you know fit like a glove and look good.

Plus they have great customer service.

Don't cheap out. Every time I do I regret it. The shoes don't last, they don't fit as well and I end up wasting money.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Allen Edmonds released a whole bunch of factory seconds a few days ago, about $196 for a pair of $450 shoes after a 25% discount if you are LEO, Military or a Student. Just got a pair of Strand's and the only "defect" is a black mark on the sole no one will ever see

https://www.allenedmonds.com/factory-second-shoes/

qa4o5gWh.jpg

uZjw4drm.jpg

I have the exact shoes. My favorite pair. Go with any business suit color. Only problem is AE doesn't carry a belt that matches their cognac shoe any longer.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Nah, not a vice for me, these shoes will last the next 5-10 years with the amount of use they will get. I’ll save vices for guns, knives, bourbon, and watches. ETA: I got the oxblood since they didn’t offer Cordovan in these.

5 or 10? I just wore a pair of terrific black AE wingtips I bought in 1987.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Bumping this up. My brown shoes finally gave up the ghost, so I went to AE. After I almost got done falling over from the sticker shock, I went to their website. Now it is a matter of waiting a good sale or the shoe I like coming up in my size, in a factory second.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Sign up on their website and they will put you on the email list and get notified for sales etc. Or like them on the Facepage.

Not sure I have ever paid full price for a pair. Have bought several of their "factory seconds" and have never actually been able to figure out why they were seconds.

And I would stay away from their 'european and casual style' shoes. They are not made by hand in Wisconsin and are just relabeled, repriced shoes from another inferior manufacturer. Some of their belts are really nice and others are pieces of crap. Watch on the website for reviews of other articles not handmade shoes.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Sign up on their website and they will put you on the email list and get notified for sales etc. Or like them on the Facepage.

Not sure I have ever paid full price for a pair. Have bought several of their "factory seconds" and have never actually been able to figure out why they were seconds.

And I would stay away from their 'european and casual style' shoes. They are not made by hand in Wisconsin and are just relabeled, repriced shoes from another inferior manufacturer. Some of their belts are really nice and others are pieces of crap. Watch on the website for reviews of other articles not handmade shoes.

Good to know. I was wondering what the "imported" shoes were. That is quite a difference.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've never owned a $400 pair of shoes. I thought I had more shoes than most men, roughly a couple dozen pair. But that includes everything, sneaks, boots, snow boots, dress up boots, casual shoes of several varieties, loafers, dress shoes, work shoes, etc. It adds up quickly. Most of them were probably in the $80-$100 range. Now I feel a little shoe shame. I didn't realize how far into the low rent district I was living. :(

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know this is an old thread, but for the love of all that is holy, what some of you consider to be dress shoes is appalling. Tassel loafers at funerals, slip ons with a suit? :faint:

Your grandfathers would be ashamed.

Dress shoes should be made with leather uppers, leather soles (rubber is OK for winter), cork foot beds and stacked leather heels.

Soles should be good year welted or Blake stitched so they can be resoled.

Oxfords are the most formal. Derbys less so, loafers less formal still. The more brogueing the less formal the shoe is too. So while wingtips can be dress shoes, they are not really a formal shoe by any means.

As for quality brands there are many out there, but the designer names are generally not among them. Allen Edmunds is one good retail brand that's been mentioned a lot. Alden is still quality, but the name brands at department stores are crap. Stay away from Cole Haan, Steve Madden, Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, etc. They are almost always junk with soles glued on. You're paying for the name only.

With shoes the construction is the number one factor. Even Johnston & Murphy and Florsheim cut serious corners these days and should not really be considered by anyone looking for shoes that last. Especially when there are so many direct to consumer brands making quality hand-crafted shoes. Look at Beckett Simonon, Meerman, Thursday shoes and boots, Acemarks to name a few.

[video=youtube_share;SQazl-HSYAE]http://youtu.be/SQazl-HSYAE[/video]

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last funeral I attended was a couple hour trip for me, but in nice weather, so I rode. I was a little concerned that I might be the black sheep, wearing motorcycle boots, black jeans and a sweater. There were a couple suits, but I was one of the nicest dressed.

Top Bottom