• cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    :yesway:
    From bottom to top;
    Well I may be a smart alec in the tactics and training sub from time to time so apologies in advance.

I suppose that people that make things harder have a place in this world

The "other rules" I was referring to were the wardrobe "rules" and I understand the tradition aspect. I know of one of our attendees who appendix carries and no one would ever guess it, I'm not clear if you're abandoning that method because of slow draw or concealablity? My thinking is, to do what you know, and can do best, and my impression was that you normally AIWB.

I understand more about MI law now.

Our journey into church security has been slow and careful. You certainly do want to weed out the cowboys or hotheads. The biggest thing we have discovered is that church security is really not all that much about the gun, it is about the AED, who to call when, following through on walkarounds and door checks, etc. But since there is a gun involved there is vetting involved. Not all on our team are carrying, or even gun guys, many just have skill set that lends itself to security and care.

A side note somewhat related to tradition, one of the things I like best about our church is that the guy in the $1000 suit is worshipping or working right along side the fully decked out biker dude who is next to the little old lady who is next to the sandal wearing farmer with a severe work-boot tan line and no one is really even thinking about how anyone else looks. The man that founded this church just had a way of attracting many different types of people and I enjoy that diversity. That can lead to many different views on security and guns specifically so it is important to conceal. Seeing a gun can really harsh some peoples chill.

I'm assuming you're shopping for OWB holsters? I tend to like high ride with a fair amount of cant for OWB.

The quote I bolded, exactly right.

I have some good OWB holsters. Thanks. Yes AIWB has been the normal for quite a while now. It just wont work with the wardrobe that I wear in church. Wearing a jacket in the summer won't look out of place, but wearing a sweater would.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I have some good OWB holsters. Thanks. Yes AIWB has been the normal for quite a while now. It just wont work with the wardrobe that I wear in church. Wearing a jacket in the summer won't look out of place, but wearing a sweater would.
    I've never carried AIWB but the guy I described that you would never know is carrying is the biker dude, shirt tucked in jeans and a black leather vest, open. Glock 19.
    Maybe it doesn't work to tuck shirt in generally though? Or with a suit/jacket/dress shirt especially?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    At our church the security team is all armed.
    For myself, I carry 2 ways . OWB Sig 226 untucked shirt( how most of the team carries). Or IWB Glock 43 with a tucked i shirt.
    I'll just say most of the time no one wears a suit or jacket to our church.

Pretty much how our church is...most come business casual with collared polo shirts un-tucked!
    I usually carry a Glock OWB 4:00 with just a shirt over it...either no one notices it or no one cares?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    CT, FYI. The best holster for concealment I have found is the Galco Matrix M7. It is thermo plastic and molded to pull the grip in tight to the body.

I think they have discontinued them but they are still available for some guns. The Right 1911 are very hard to find.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Unless you're ninety years old, then it's ok.

I will say this for wardrobe - part of being a security team is looking like you're competent.

Which man presents a better image of authority and competency - a man in slacks and jacket, or man in cargo shorts and flip-flops?

I know what I wear, and what I think is appropriate, but I'll go out of my way to make sure the scruffy looking dude in cutoffs and Tshirt feels welcome just as they are.
    I wear a jacket and bow tie at work when others wear jeans and company polos, but I like how it makes me feel, so YMMV.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

I will say this for wardrobe - part of being a security team is looking like you're competent.

Which man presents a better image of authority and competency - a man in slacks and jacket, or man in cargo shorts and flip-flops?

I know what I wear, and what I think is appropriate, but I'll go out of my way to make sure the scruffy looking dude in cutoffs and Tshirt feels welcome just as they are.
    I wear a jacket and bow tie at work when others wear jeans and company polos, but I like how it makes me feel, so YMMV.

There's no good reason to wear flip flops. If you're going to wear shoes. Wear real shoes. If you want your toes out just go barefoot.

I'm barefoot as much as possible.
    I used to have a job that if you were going to be in the office there was no dress code.
    I went a month with out shies or socks ever touching my feet. It was amazing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's no good reason to wear flip flops. If you're going to wear shoes. Wear real shoes. If you want your toes out just go barefoot.

I'm barefoot as much as possible.
    I used to have a job that if you were going to be in the office there was no dress code.
    I went a month with out shies or socks ever touching my feet. It was amazing.

I take my boots (when I ride my MC) off as soon as I get to my office.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    iu

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I feel like you might be referring to my comments, and just to be clear (read; defensive!) I never said flip flops or cargo shorts, they're nice looking shorts and they're sandals, I can run in them and I can operate in them.
    Sometimes the way I dress is how my wife likes me to dress and no one would ever expect a gun under there, which can be a tactical advantage, reference the OC CC debates. I'm not head of security by any stretch, I'm actually hidden away in the sound booth for the entirety of the service as well, and prefer running under the radar, and not wearing a shoot-me-first vest or pants helps with that. :):

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I’m head of security at my church. Some days I’m wearing business casual with shirt untucked and a G19 in a Henry Holster kydex clamshell IWB. Some Sunday's I’m in Cargo shorts with a polo untucked. So far God hasn’t complained about my attire so until he does I’m gtg.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm gonna jump on the suit jacket/shoulder holster bandwagon. You can wear a full suit, or dress the suit jacket all the way down to go with jeans and a button up, but the shoulder holster remains your friend at all levels in between. Galco is sure to have one that will work for you.

This man made carry so easy decades ago.

unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I’m head of security at my church. Some days I’m wearing business casual with shirt untucked and a G19 in a Henry Holster kydex clamshell IWB. Some Sunday's I’m in Cargo shorts with a polo untucked. So far God hasn’t complained about my attire so until he does I’m gtg.

I am not casting aspersions on how others dress at church (well maybe jokingly), it is just not how I dress. In our Synod pastors wear robes and elders never wear untucked shirts and usually ties. I am ok with that. It doesn't make us any better Christians, it is just how we choose to do it. It does make my concealment life a bit harder though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I feel like you might be referring to my comments, and just to be clear (read; defensive!) I never said flip flops or cargo shorts, they're nice looking shorts and they're sandals, I can run in them and I can operate in them.
    Sometimes the way I dress is how my wife likes me to dress and no one would ever expect a gun under there, which can be a tactical advantage, reference the OC CC debates. I'm not head of security by any stretch, I'm actually hidden away in the sound booth for the entirety of the service as well, and prefer running under the radar, and not wearing a shoot-me-first vest or pants helps with that. :):

I really wasn't addressing any particular post here. Just general blather in search of 50 quality posts.

Oh, it's not a "sound booth" we sit in, it's a "sniper's nest". :):

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    It can depend on the season. I carry at church generally with an ankle holster. I also carry in a belt holster, slim line with a no tuck shirt. I have also used a belly band holster.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Do yourself a favor, break down and get a couple suits and have them tailored properly. Pick the firearm and holster you want to carry, then go to a tailor to have them select the suit. Certain colors and patterns lend themselves to this better than others. The tailor will make sure the jacket fits properly with the holster. Always button the jacket when standing and unbutton when sitting.

This is what I would recommend as well, although it appears to be well above the OP's definition of dressing well.

So is there anyone here who carries at church and dresses well? By that I mean no untucked shirts mainly.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is what I would recommend as well, although it appears to be well above the OP's definition of dressing well.

No, that is exactly what I meant, I just knew most of the replies would revolve around untucked shirts. If you take untucked shirts out of the equation, you are left with a cover garment largely indicated to be some type of suit or sport coat.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If someone has a link to this discussion please post it. I searched but didn't see anything. We have passed a concealed carry policy at out church. Most people won't take advantage of this and that is fine. For others it won't change much. For me, as someone who has appendix carried for more than 10 years now it is going to be a change. As an elder at the church I can not dress how I would to make appendix carry viable. From what I can see the best course of action would basically be dress like a police detective. During the summer months this is probably going to be a bit uncomfortable but I get cold much easier than I get hot so it will be doable.

So is there anyone here who carries at church and dresses well? By that I mean no untucked shirts mainly. If so, give me a quick rundown of how you do it please? BTW, I will probably use OWB not IWB as I just got a bunch of dress pants that fit and really don't want to by a bunch more in a bigger size.

Do yourself a favor, break down and get a couple suits and have them tailored properly. Pick the firearm and holster you want to carry, then go to a tailor to have them select the suit. Certain colors and patterns lend themselves to this better than others. The tailor will make sure the jacket fits properly with the holster. Always button the jacket when standing and unbutton when sitting.

No, that is exactly what I meant, I just knew most of the replies would revolve around untucked shirts. If you take untucked shirts out of the equation, you are left with a cover garment largely indicated to be some type of suit or sport coat.

My apologies for misunderstanding. If you go the custom route, consider having the tailor place a felt piece inside the jacket where your pistol makes contact. That way it won't show a wear mark or tear a whole as your pistol grinds against the back of the chair.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom