• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Spelling nazi peeve... there is no such thing as "leanth".

leanth​

Not English​

Leanth has no English definition. It may be misspelled.

:stickpoke:
    hey, leave the cat alone wer leernin stuff her!!

(But I did look up McMaster Carr drill **** and THEY call them drill ****!)

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Priced McMaster-Carr Short-Length Cobalt Steel Titanium Nitride Coated -- 1/8" & #29 ~ $5 each plus 8-32 tap for hardened Steel $14 ... ( maybe get 2 of each bit - just in case )

--- Shipping $10 seems excessive --- any places in NWI that sell the McMaster-Carr brand ?

McMaster-Carr is a distributor, not a brand of tools or materials. They do not list brands carried but have heard they will tell the brand if you contact them on a specific item. They do carry very good brands, not cheap stuff.

Cleveland Twist / Greenfield drills seem to hold up very well.

If you are drilling into an odd angle or and area with an odd surface (not flat), the drill can catch or walk resulting in snapped drills. A center or spotting drill can be used to help the situation.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    You need to use a press drill while your receiver is dead center and level, while is holded to a press vise attachment
    I was just about to ask if you’re using a press or hand-holding. Its usually that angular moment that snaps the bit, not the rotational force of the drill itself.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Priced McMaster-Carr Short-Length Cobalt Steel Titanium Nitride Coated -- 1/8" & #29 ~ $5 each plus 8-32 tap for hardened Steel $14 ... ( maybe get 2 of each bit - just in case )

--- Shipping $10 seems excessive --- any places in NWI that sell the McMaster-Carr brand ?

This is the answer , though no idea if they have retail locations. A lot of the Chinese steel these last couple years have had serious metallurgical issues. For important stuff you want to use USA sourced parts 100% right now

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I was just about to ask if you’re using a press or hand-holding. Its usually that angular moment that snaps the bit, not the rotational force of the drill itself.
    I broke the first 2 Freehand - then moved to a Drill Press - ( I will double check the speed / Pully combo ) ---
    But now think a big factor was the Length - the short length will be more stable

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I broke the first 2 Freehand - then moved to a Drill Press - ( I will double check the speed / Pully combo ) ---
    But now think a big factor was the Length - the short length will be more stable
    Do not forget to center drill first!
    At minimum layout and center punch!!!
    Easy up on the pressure are you break thru, or (old trick) "dupe off" the lips (portion of the drill that cuts) so the drill doesn't grap or bite as you break thru.

Kohler

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis

The thing with McMaster is generally you’ll have it in hand the next day, almost immediate gratification.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    You could use automatic transmission fluid, you won't need that much, a few drops at the most per hole
    ATF is not the best idea , but will work in a pinch.

Dark threading oil/cutting oil can be had at most hardware store.

Do a lot of drilling? Hit Amazon and get a coolant mister and some water soluble oil.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    McMaster-Carr in Elmhurst, IL has will call pickup.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Ps...machinist peeve...there is no such thing as a drill bit, you don't want a bit of the drill do you? There are gun drills, jobber leanth, screw machine leanth, aircraft leanth, tre-pan, Carbide tipped, Indexable Carbide tipped, ECT. but no such thing as a drill bit!

Hmmm. Machinists at my day job call them drill bits. Then other things.

Of course, I sometimes struggle to get more than “I need a drill bit” out of them.

Top Bottom