• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Just wondering who use to smoke and quit but still likes to fire one up while they're drinking. I'm not talking about cigar smokers but more, those who did heavy cigarette smoking while drinking.
    I myself was a heavy drinker & smoker for well over 40 years. I quit smoking 3 years ago and don't really drink like I us to buy still get the craving for both.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They will tell you in drunk school to quit drinking long before you quit smoking. It's normal to want to smoke, when you drink. Not necessarily the opposite.

Myself, I made a commitment to not die of smoking related ailments. My smoking stopped at a certain age that I had planned for some time. Ultimately, I never really "quit smoking," I used the financial aspect to force myself to never pay for cigarettes again, after the age of...

It took a LOT of years to not reach for my pocket when doing certain things, like opening the hood of a car and making the first cast of the day. You eventually get by it though.

A little bonus, if it helps. Committing to not letting old age take anything from you is helpful. There is argument that keto/low carb/no sugar diets can ward off a lot that wants to take us down due to ailments. Study up on the "cancer loves sugar" phrase, often repeated by doctors. No sugar means no alcohol. :twocents:

Best of luck, my friend. :ingo:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I smoked for 28 years and I've been quit for nearly a year to the day. Right this exact moment, I'm enjoying my after dinner stick of sugarfree gum. Before I quit smoking, I had pretty much had a lifetime's worth of drinking already so I pretty much quit that too, but if I twist a top or two (literally, 2 beer max these days, maybe twice a year if that... I just don't want it anymore) I can manage to do it without a cig. I crave a smoke non-stop, but I don't miss it. Other people's cigs smell weird to me now and even a year later, I still sometimes cough up tons of tar. Makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking for those 28 years...

I also know, from experience, that I can't be a casual smoker. That makes it easier for me. The decision to have "just one drag" is literally the decision to become a _heavy_ smoker again, because 2 weeks later that's where I'll be. Not that it was cheap a year ago, but I'd have about a $400/month habit right now if I fired one up again. No way, Jose.

And... I'm completely cheating because I'm in near 100% isolation most of the time. I don't associate with anyone who smokes anymore, mostly by accident, but I made use of the opportunity.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    I've quit a lot of times throughout the years. Going on 3 weeks now. Plan to make this the final quit.

I know myself and I am an all or nothing guy. If I have a smoke with a few beers I can guarantee I'm buying a pack on the way to work the next day. Don't do it!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Similar vein: My mom used to smoke. Not like a chimney, necessarily, but she did. And she loved to drink coffee while doing it. Co-dependent habits, so to speak.

One day, when I was a wee lad, I asked her to please quit smoking. And she did. Cold turkey. But she also found that she had to give up coffee, too, due to her strong mental associations between the two.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never smoked. Parents did. Chain smocking filter less camels and they sucked. So I guess I shared there **** for 18 years.
    I did drink. Was pretty good at it. Wife smoked. We decided to both stop same day and we did.
    screw all that I can’t live without it. Because you can.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I quit smoking regularly about 12 years ago. I smoked about 1.5 packs a day. When I drink I smoke from time to time. I smoke about a dozen cigarettes' a year.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Both my parents quit smoking when I was a kid. Complete and total cessation. I've now watched lots of friends and relatives in their age group check out from smoking-related illnesses while they stay healthy.

It's worth it.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Smoked a pack or so a day for a good 15 years, "quit" smoking 3 times, kept coming back to it especially while drinking. So I sat down one night with a pack of reds and a bottle of Jose, and did one shot per nail. I don't recall how many I had but I was so ***ing sick for 2 or 3 days after that and the smell of cigarette smoke for quite a while would just turn my stomach. Fixed me but good.

This method is not endorsed by the American Medical Association.

giphy.gif

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    One day, when I was a wee lad, I asked her to please quit smoking. And she did. Cold turkey. But she also found that she had to give up coffee, too, due to her strong mental associations between the two.

This was a legitimate, "serious", concern of mine. What I did was simply not alter anything else about my routine. I got up for work, went out to the garage with my laptop and coffee, read the news, drank my coffee, and then went back in the house to get ready to roll.

I continued my normal "habit" for probably the first 6-8 weeks until I realized it sucked sitting out in the garage and either freezing or boiling for no reason. One day, with laptop in hand and in full stride to the garage, I stopped dead in my tracks and realized I didn't have to do that anymore and simply sat down in my chair in the house. MUCH better...

Also gotta say I don't have the stones for cold turkey and that modern science is generally a wonderful thing. Went with the nicotine gum (on the schedule, and way after actually... I was chewing that stuff for months) and then heaps of sugar-free gum, and now just maybe a piece or two a day. Some days I don't have any.

I still drink all the coffee I want. :coffee: I suppose it could work with booze, but coffee usually improves my judgement. I can't think of many things I've done while half in the bag that turned out to be good ideas later, including a couple of ladies and a car (not wrecked... bought on eBay :laugh:... the car that is... the ladies were absolute totals).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They will tell you in drunk school to quit drinking long before you quit smoking. It's normal to want to smoke, when you drink. Not necessarily the opposite.

Myself, I made a commitment to not die of smoking related ailments. My smoking stopped at a certain age that I had planned for some time. Ultimately, I never really "quit smoking," I used the financial aspect to force myself to never pay for cigarettes again, after the age of...

It took a LOT of years to not reach for my pocket when doing certain things, like opening the hood of a car and making the first cast of the day. You eventually get by it though.

A little bonus, if it helps. Committing to not letting old age take anything from you is helpful. There is argument that keto/low carb/no sugar diets can ward off a lot that wants to take us down due to ailments. Study up on the "cancer loves sugar" phrase, often repeated by doctors. No sugar means no alcohol. :twocents:

Best of luck, my friend. :ingo:
    First, good for you. Keep it up.

Second, no sugar? Challenge accepted.

(straight whiskey, bourbon, etc has no sugar LOL)

redemption-rye-on-the-rocks-1030x538.png

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was a 1.5 pack a day smoker for 13 years. I quit on 28 Dec 1993. Smoking GPC Lights (with a coupon they were $2/carton at the Camp Walker, ROK Commissary) did me in. My co-workers at K-2 Air Base (Taegu) Korea got me a really awesome engraved Zippo as a going away gift. I looked at it first thing in the morning, and laid the pack down. It's getting late or I'd post a pic of the lighter, still got it. It's next to my coins.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note...

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Smoking GPC Lights (with a coupon they were $2/carton at the Camp Walker, ROK Commissary) did me in.

I tried that... I just ended up smoking cigarettes I hated for like 3 years. I bet at least once a week I would reflect on how I didn't like those cigarettes, but kept right on going. So it was layers of self-loathe instead of just the one layer of self-loathe. I decided I wanted to hate myself less and just bought good cigarettes again. :facepalm:

only-a-quitter-quits-kenneth-parcell.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First, good for you. Keep it up.

Second, no sugar? Challenge accepted.

(straight whiskey, bourbon, etc has no sugar LOL)

No alcohol for me sir, but thanks for giving permission. ;)

Life itself is a "buzz" enough. No need to compromise the mind with chemicals. :cheers:

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I dont booze much these days, reason #1 is i was too good at it, reason #2 whiskey started giving me crazy vivid nightmares. If ive got outdoor work ill grab an extra pack of darts. Outdoor work is the only time i drink anymore, something about drinking a cold Budweiser accompanied by a Marlboro light in the shade. I wont smoke the whole extra pack but i definitely smoke more while drinking.

But it could just be that im outside so im smoking more (we dont smoke in the house). I guess i dont really know lol.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Quit NYE 2019 so i'm 2.5 + free. Once in a blue moon i'll crave one, but it's generally something odd, not booze related. I was probably a 2 pack a day cowboy for 30 years.

Top Bottom