• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Dry fire will get you killed on the streetz.

Live fire only, because you don't want to build muscle memory of firing without recoil. That will make your double-taps super slow.

I'm reading this in purple.

I use magazines and snap caps because I also practice reloads. My pistol has a decocker, so I don't have to rack the slide to reset the trigger between every draw, so that's not a concern either like it would be on Glock.

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Dry fire will get you killed on the streetz.

Live fire only, because you don't want to build muscle memory of firing without recoil. That will make your double-taps super slow.

Hmmmm, common sense goes with the Four Basic Safety Rules.
    But if Common Sense was Common everyone would have it, so operate as you see fit, everyone's level of involvement is different.
    And "Procedural Memory" relies more on the "procedure" your brain sequences and less on outside physical reaction, your ability to recover your sights and align on the target is easily emulated in the reload or Tac drill.
    Just sayin...

NUMBER 1. All guns are always loaded
    1) No one is capable of telling from a glance whether a firearm is loaded or unloaded. With that, we treat all guns as if they are loaded and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times.
    2) Every time a firearm is handled; it should be checked to verify whether or not there is a round in the chamber.
    3) During firearms training when dry manipulations or dry fire takes place, the firearm will still be treated as if it were loaded and pointed in a safe direction.

NUMBER 2. Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to shoot
    1) This includes parts of the body, including the support hand.

NUMBER 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on the target and you intend to shoot
    1) The sights cannot be aligned any faster than the finger can be placed on the trigger.
    2) Firing an unaligned weapon can have disastrous results.
    3) Place the trigger finger on the trigger when the sights begin to align on target.

NUMBER 4. Be sure of your target
    1) Know what it is and what is behind it.
    2) Never shoot at anything that has not been positively identified.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've read numerous well respected trainers say that competition shooting is bad because it trains them to shoot powder puff ammo, so their double taps will not be good if they shoot real ammo. If powder puff gamer ammo is bad, no recoil dry fire must be even worse.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Hmmm, 20-25,000 rounds down range the past year. Probably 100,000 +++ in the last 5 years.

Im going with the lawyer. Plus, his post count must mean he knows what he's talking about.

I dryfire with magazines and dummy rounds. Sometimes I will use regular rounds, but just when I'm outside. It helps with my gun handling discipline.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I Think you can get away with practicing without recoil if your gun has a really low bore axis, because then your follow-up shots will have the same cadence

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    What kind of gun should I get if I want to DRYFIRE? I'm not sure on the low bore axis, what guns meet that criteria? Springfield? Glock? Smith? Something else?

I dont want to train to lose,.......I want my double taps accurate.

What gun?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "Well respected trainers say that competition shooitng is bad becasue it teaches them to shoot powder puff ammo.." That is about the goofiest thing I have ever heard about "competition shooting". Almost every match I ever have shot uses USPSA rules where you either shoot Major or Minor Power and most people choose a 200 gr. bullet @ 900 fps (for .45 ACP). Not a powder puff load. Very few competitors shoot "powder puff" Minor power level ammo (usually only the 9mm double stack kids). Dry firing is only used to allow you to watch the front sight closely so you can see if you are moving the gun when you press the trigger. It has nothing to do with learning how to shoot double taps or control recoil and is about the very best thing you can do when not at the range.

Last edited:

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Hey, if you are only gonna offer your "opinion" go somewhere else.

I need valuable info and Rob377 offers some facts. Please don't hijack a good thread.

Again, what pistol offers the lowest bore axis so my DRYFIRE training is not in vain and my double taps are accurate?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    "Well respected trainers say that competition shooitng is bad becasue it teaches them to shoot powder puff ammo.." Almost every match I ever have shot uses USPSA rules where you either shoot Major or Minor Power. Very few competetitors shoot "powder puff" Minor power level ammo (usually only the 9mm double stack kids). Dry firing is only used to allow you to watch the front sight closely so you can see if you are moving the gun when you press the trigger. It has nothing to do with learning how to shoot double taps or control recoil. That is about the goofiest thing I've heard in a while.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I keep my ammo in the same room, usually at my feet. So I can count it every now and again while dryfiring. I can only easily count to 6 though. I usually only fire double action revolvers....With the heaviest trigger possible.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Using USPSA rules will get you killed on the critical dynamic two-way range

I think Riley has one of those critically dynamic two-way ranges. They usually hold their outlaw "Targets Shoot Back" match in late November. It's sponsored by SNS Casting and QuikClot. Stay tuned to the Tactics and Training forum for details.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I think Riley has one of those critically dynamic two-way ranges. They usually hold their outlaw "Targets Shoot Back" match in late November. It's sponsored by SNS Casting and QuikClot. Stay tuned to the Tactics and Training forum for details.

I would go but I have a "Save the Tibetan Yak" meeting that day and hate to miss it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What kind of gun should I get if I want to DRYFIRE? I'm not sure on the low bore axis, what guns meet that criteria? Springfield? Glock? Smith? Something else?

I dont want to train to lose,.......I want my double taps accurate.

What gun?

Then you need to live fire. And push it beyond what you think your limit is. Dry fire won't do it. No matter what pistol you use. After a string of live fire, it should take a second or two to bring your mind back to the range. That is the best way I can describe the "bubble"

Until you have been there, its like speaking greek to you. Not a criticism. It just is.

The "Bubble" is a very special place. I have to let a lot of things go to get there. Sometimes I can't get there, no matter how hard I try.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm not capable of dry-fire practice. If I squeeze the trigger and get a "click" my warrior-brain takes over and I instantly go into a 3 second tap-rack-click loop before ditching the pistol, drawing my blade, and diving in to go hands-on with the target. Just can't help it, habits from the sandbox and blackwater.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    That's operator. Boom.

good training practice for the "click", in keeping with Hicks law. Keep that muscle memory sharp!

Top Bottom