• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Or until you give yourself tendonitis....
    It's all fun and games till you have to go to the doctor.

Oh great now people will be claiming carpal tunnel syndrome from dry firing too much. waaa2

Not David but so far mine is holding up just fine, with heavy drawing from the holster.

Thanks for the info. I think you can find those models for around the $200 range, much more acceptable. I think I am going to invest in one.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Not doing much dry firing. I had considered buying a SIRT training pistol looks like a useful tool. However to get one with a metal slide so you can practice drawing and change sites if you want they are around $400.00. For that kind of money I can just use one of my double action real guns with a snap cap.

Meridian Tactical

I just ordered a SIRT 110 Pro metal slide last week for $340 including shipping from Botach Law Enforcement, Military & Public Safety Supplies

My Nephew is JT Garner on here and his range time after spending time practicing with the SIRT was amazing. If I develop 1/2 of the skills and accuracy that he has I will be happy. He sold a real gun to buy a trainer and I can see the results.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I posted in this thread so hopefully ya'lls good practices will rub off on me. Does it work if I just know people with a dry fire regiment?

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I posted in this thread so hopefully ya'lls good practices will rub off on me. Does it work if I just know people with a dry fire regiment?

I think it does. I would be more than happy to let some of my dry fire prowess rub off on you, but I'm not sure how 9mm dryfire would translate to 45acp!

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I just ordered a SIRT 110 Pro metal slide last week for $340 including shipping from Botach Law Enforcement, Military & Public Safety Supplies

My Nephew is JT Garner on here and his range time after spending time practicing with the SIRT was amazing. If I develop 1/2 of the skills and accuracy that he has I will be happy. He sold a real gun to buy a trainer and I can see the results.

Does it come with a mag? I'm considering getting one and a spare mag. Not sure if I need to add 1 or 2 mags to the cart?
    Thanks!

what dry fire drills do you guys like? I tend to run a draw/acquire/fire drill but Id like to expand the repertoire.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    what dry fire drills do you guys like? I tend to run a draw/acquire/fire drill but Id like to expand the repertoire.

there are several books out there, from Steve Anderson, Ben Stoeger etc (there are more, but I haven't had coffee yet) that can get you started with problably hundreds of drills combined.

If you don't want to spend $ on a book, then identify areas where you are weak and focus on those skills. Transitions? Entering a hard-lean shooting position? reloading between positions? shooting on the move? etc etc etc.

-rvb

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    there are several books out there, from Steve Anderson, Ben Stoeger etc (there are more, but I haven't had coffee yet) that can get you started with problably hundreds of drills combined.

If you don't want to spend $ on a book, then identify areas where you are weak and focus on those skills. Transitions? Entering a hard-lean shooting position? reloading between positions? shooting on the move? etc etc etc.

-rvb
    Buying a book is no problem. I just have so many bad ones I like to know what to buy in advance, lol. I've been working on hard corners and transitions a bit. Leans and moving probably be helpful to add. I like the idea of the SIRT showing my poi. Hard to know how bad you are if you are dry firing on the move

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anderson has a couple books out now and they are excellent. I've heard a ton of good things about Ben's book too but I haven't seen it yet.

As for me, I havent touched a gun or my reloading press since the last match back in Oct...Maybe I should get started again??

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As for me, I havent touched a gun or my reloading press since the last match back in Oct...Maybe I should get started again??

I use my off seaons to get ammo loaded ahead as far as possible. now that I shoot so little, I can get the whole year's ammo loaded so that when I have time mid season, I can use it to dryfire vs make ammo. I shouldn't have to load 9mm again till after this season is done! :)

-rvb

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Buying a book is no problem. I just have so many bad ones I like to know what to buy in advance, lol. I've been working on hard corners and transitions a bit. Leans and moving probably be helpful to add. I like the idea of the SIRT showing my poi. Hard to know how bad you are if you are dry firing on the move

Ive been working through Ben Stoegers book this winter. Also note he has a few so if your looking specifically for dry fire, make sure you get the right one (I don't have mine in front of me).

honestly, with a little creativity I was doing my own dry fire drills before I had the book, establishing a PAR time then pushing that time limit. My drills were in a lot of ways like what's in the book. But it's also easier now to use his book, since drills are already illustrated and explained... Either way should work but 20 bucks ain't bad for a bunch of drills already designed for you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought Anderson's book a few years ago when it was relatively new.

Coach and I laughed about that.

If I had any idea where it was, I'm betting that it still has that "never been opened" static electricity.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Guys, there are tons of dryfire drills out there on the web. Lotsa of them from GM shooters.

It's not really that hard knowing what to practice, practice the stuff you aren't good at.
    Get tips from GMs that actually win majors. They've all got websites, they've all got youtube channels where they give tips.

We all know what it takes and what we must do to improve. We have to shoot at the speed we can get A's and do everthing else as fast as we can.
    There isn't a "magic" drill that's going to take you to Master class.

Well, I don't think there is, if there is, somebody is keeping it a secret from me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth (and this is for people reading this who don't yet believe) . . .

I have seen many people make dramatic, sometimes almost unbelievable improvements in their shooting and gun handling skills in just a few months of dedicated dry practice. Too many people think it's just about dry firing your gun to work on your trigger press, but it's a lot more than that. In fact, the trigger press is only a very small part of it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    For what it's worth (and this is for people reading this who don't yet believe) . . .

I have seen many people make dramatic, sometimes almost unbelievable improvements in their shooting and gun handling skills in just a few months of dedicated dry practice. Too many people think it's just about dry firing your gun to work on your trigger press, but it's a lot more than that. In fact, the trigger press is only a very small part of it.
    I was telling this to a few of the newer USPSA shooters up here this past weekend.

Top Bottom