• ...and so much more!
  • Do you dry-fire your guns?

• Total voters

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I have no issues dry firing my pistols without snap caps, though I will use snap caps at the range mixed in with live rounds. The time spent dry firing has helped me tremendously. Check out Steve Anderson's book "Refinement & Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement."

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    If you are going to be OCD about anything, being OCD about knowing the loaded condition of your gun is a good thing. Check and recheck.

As for the dry firing, depends entirely on the design.

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Has anyone actually had any big problems in result of dry-firing w/out primer/snap cap? I have always heard its not good for pistols to do it, but never heard of any issues become of it?

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Even with my Kel-Tec who says not to dry fire it, I just dont dry fire it all day long like I would do with a Glock but I do it once after I checked.
    Kel-tecs are one of the exceptions to dry-firing without snap caps, it will start to damage the firing pin retainer screw if you don't have a snap cap.

My Glock I dry-fire all the time without snap caps. I've even heard someone complain about light strikes cased by brass shavings from the snap caps.

You can even safely dry fire most modern rimfires, they have shortened firing pins that shouldn't contact the breech face. Dry fire it? | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Has anyone actually had any big problems in result of dry-firing w/out primer/snap cap? I have always heard its not good for pistols to do it, but never heard of any issues become of it?

The general rule is: Dry firing without a snap cap is perfectly okay for modern center fires and bad for modern rim fires. You can kill the firing pin. Here is an excellent picture showing why:
    22hs.jpg

However, there are exceptions. Definitely check your manual or vendor's web site. Do you have a specific model in mind?

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The general rule is: Dry firing without a snap cap is perfectly okay for modern center fires and bad for modern rim fires. You can kill the firing pin. Definitely check your manual or vendor's web site. Do you have a specific model in mind?

You may well damage the breech face at the same time. This pic shows firing pin impact (at about 12 o'clock) on the breech face of a Browning Buckmark. Repeated impacts have peened the metal into the chamber, causing poor feed, and extraction. The damage can usually be repaired, but it's one of those things that doesn't have to happen. This pic is of a used barrel that I bought very cheaply, due to the damage. I fixed it in about 15 minutes.......

dryfiredamage.jpg

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Well I do not necessarily dry fire on a normal basis. I was more asking an open question. But I would be asking more towards an XD or s&w 22a(rimfire).

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have an XD9, granted I have not had this gun very long I have dry fired it hundreds of time to become comfortable with it. If you have alot of concerned go to your local gun shop and pick up a pack of snow caps and use those. It has a little rubber piece were the firing pin contacts to will keep you firing pin safe. Be sure you real ammo is in another room and you are still firing in a safe direction.

Be safe. Be smart.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    According to the guys at XDtalk there is a chance that dry firing will damage the roll pin. There are mixed reports on it though. One guy broke his after only a few hundred dry fires, another reports no apparent damage after thousands of dry fires. The repair is usually easy, but occasionally requires a trip back to Springfield. It's at least something to be aware of.

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Get some snap caps if you want to dry fire. They are good for practice loading, etc anyhow. You can find name brand ones cheap on eBay or most any gun store has them anymore.

Top Bottom