• riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Jake shooting deltas........
    Say it ain't so
    Well after a couple of days of flu fog, I'm going to get back at it tonight.
    Cedartop reminded me about wide transitions, I suck at them, I'm going to work something in.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Teaching tonight so dry fire is out. Plan to hit it in the morning.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well I wanted to pass on this tonight, but due to the fact I am looking at shooting 3 Majors this year and the accountability of this thread, I practiced anyway.

Draws
    Reloads
    2R2
    Front Sight Forward
    El Prez

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Well I wanted to pass on this tonight, but due to the fact I am looking at shooting 3 Majors this year and the accountability of this thread, I practiced anyway.

Draws
    Reloads
    2R2
    Front Sight Forward
    El Prez

Just curious, is Front Sight Forward the one-string abbreviated version of "Front Sight?"

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Slept in a bit. Got up and got the routine in. Have to leave to teach a class soon. Hoping to get a second round of drills in this evening focusing on reloads. I have the Smoke and Hope drill hung up finally and I may hit that in round two this evening. The neat Par time in Pendlum was no problem. May bump it down another tenth in a day or two. Looking at bumping down 5 to Go as well.

Tomorrow is going to have to be in the morning as well. Royce has a wrestling tournament during the day, and I have Carry League to run in the evening.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Can anyone give me a basic rundown of a basic dry fire routine? I've been doing USPSA matches for about a year now, finally about to hit B class, and to be honest, I never practice at home. I know my draw is sloppy (I ****ed up a few at the last indoor match and cost me seconds I'm sure), and I'd like to practice draw to index. Plus some reloading practice.

I have both of Stoeger's books, but since I've moved 3 months ago most of my crap is buried in the storage unit somewhere.

I have been too swamped to get to this. I hope to make some comments tonight with the help of my friend Bud. Bud Light that is.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got in a second session of reloads, and Smoke and Hope. Feel good about it.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Just completed an abbreviated session, this cold\flu thing is still trying to hang on.
    The recent focus on keeping the gun closer to the firing position during reloads seems to be paying off.
    I'm making my par times on 6R6 with ease even while feeling a little puny. Time to bump it down a little.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A dry practice routine:

Dry practice is about building habits and skills. Building habits and skills is going to take repetitions. It is boring if you let it be. It can be work. Winning is never boring. Winning a match or winning a gun fight is better than losing. The dry practice is a means to an end. That being said you can totally burn yourself out. Many people have done it. A short regular practice session schedule is better than irregular and long sessions. So do some planning and organize your practice around what you want to do.

Dry practice is largely about driving the gun with your vision and decreasing the amount of time it takes to draw (from the holster or table top), reloads, press the trigger (splits), transition from one target to the next. Those are the primary areas to focus on in dry practice. There are other things like SHO and WHO shooting, entry and exits and shooting on the move that can be worked on in dry practice as well.

Your space and time will have plenty to do with what you can and should do in your routine.

If you have a slow draw then it should be a point of focus. This is not the major time issue in competition, but in a gun fight on the street it is a much bigger deal. If the typical gun fight is 3 seconds long a two second draw will get you second place on the street and not hurt you much in a 32 round field course in USPSA. In a small speed shoot stage or a classifier the draw has a bigger impact in competition. If I can draw in 1.2 seconds and your draw is 2 seconds and there are three strings in the stage. That is a big deal. (do your own math)

If I am shooting Open or Limited then reload time is less critical than it is in Single stack or Production, except for classifiers because they generally have a mandatory reload. So if you want to move up in classification you need a good draw, and a good reload. So emphasize those drills in your dry practice.

The big amount of time that can be gained is doing transitions. Shooting from target to target. Three or four targets will be enough. I like doing full size targets. The three full size USPSA targets I use are blacked out except for the A zone and I have them at ten yards. So I try and hit the top half of the A zone during the drills I do. I dry practice mostly using single action 1911's and 2011's. I am pushing a dead trigger other than the first shot. I have progressed a long ways from where I was doing it this way. There are some other guys who have progressed farther and faster than I have. I was hoping they would chime in at some point in this thread.

My drills right now are focusing on transitions. That is why I shoot steel challenge the transitions are tough and it forces you to get better. I am doing dry practice on Roundabout, Pendlum, Speed Option, 5 to go, Smoke and Hope.

My other big focus right now is the reload.

2 reload 2: Draw and shoot a ten yard distance A zone twice, reload and shoot the same target twice.
    6 reload 6: Draw and shoot 3 targets 2 shots each at ten yards, reload, and shoot the same three targets 2 times each.
    Bill Drill reload Bill Drill: Shoot six shots on one target, reload, six shots on same target. (gets some trigger speed work here as well)

As has been stated Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson both have dry fire practice books out there. Both of their approaches will make you better. I don't care for either individual at all (would not cross the street to **** on either one if they were on fire), but their books will improve your shooting. So it is matter of business. Ben has won a lot of stuff and is a great shooter. That might tell you which way to go. Steve is GM who has never won anything as far as I know. (If that is not a fact I apologize but I am fairly sure it is accurate) But he knows how to practice to move up in classification and that is something. So if you want to improve your USPSA classification his stuff will do it.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pushing a dead trigger. Racking the slide is not going to be practical or valuable. Much of what is being accomplished in dry fire has little or nothing to do with pressing the trigger. The main body of improvement comes from driving the gun with the vision and speeding up how fast you see the sights in place and in building great fundamentals with other things like drawstroke and reloads.

Quoted for importance, especially for the people who are trying to learn more, but who disregard when I type it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Quoted for importance, especially for the people who are trying to learn more, but who disregard when I type it.
    You are disregarded and under estimated at people's own peril about shooting, running of the mouth and watching TV. Pay attention INGO.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Some more observations:

1) Relaxation is a factor.

2) Still need to focus on seeing the inside of magwell on reloads.

3) My first plateau on reloads was keeping the gun up. My latest one is the need (for me) to bring the gun a little more in towards the face, while executing. It has busted me through and is taking time off those drills, but I don't consistently remember to do it yet. Needs reps.

4) Caught myself doing a bad habit tonight. Trapping the trigger to the rear at the end of a string, when working up to the beep on a decreased par time. My bad old bullseye habits crossing the fence again and coming into the mix. Hit the trigger and get off of it. Every shot. Even when you know it's the last shot...because someday...the last shot, might not be. Part of my focus on dot-shooting this year in USPSA, is to improve my one-handed dot shooting on my bullseye gun, which has been a problem for me. I just need to make sure the correct technical "stuff" crosses the fence, going the right direction.

5) Got a Canik, and it's interesting. I don't feel confident enough in it to use it for anything real yet, but I do like that the trigger returns to position under spring pressure after being dry fired. This can give your trigger finger a real workout in extended strings, and it makes up for the fact that I wore out my Glock reset trigger (buying that was an expensive mistake). I can mess with this for dry fire, and if nothing else now I have another gun to shoot if I end up liking it.

That's enough for a freezing azz Saturday night, for me.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got the whole routine in this morning. Off to a wrestling meet in a bit. I have Smoke and Hope added to the mix. I had to clear wall space to hang the stage. I am glad I did. The speed of that stage and trying to call the shots at that speed was tough. It adds value to the mix.

I muffed two draws today. Not sure where that came from, but it happened. Normally it does not happen. Worked on a harder squeeze with the WH and that seemed to help the whole process. Rust continues to come off. Going to keep the routine exactly like it is from the next two weeks and just try to get in everyday. Not confident that it can happen. Teaching Defensive Pistol Monday evening and that will cut into the night.

Carry League starts tonight. I am hoping to get a little live fire in with the carry gun. We shall see.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Got a session in tonight.
    The dry fire dojo is downright balmy, I worked up a sweat!
    I'm breaking the shorts out for work tomorrow. Tuesday is my day off so I'm going to set up an entry/exit drill and get some par times dialed in. Now the real work begins

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Work from EDC gear.

Draw and fire 2 to 3X5 at 7
    Failure drill
    Bill Drill
    Split Bill drill
    Slide lock reloads. These are agonizingly slow from concealment.
    Explosive movement.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I got about 18 rounds fire live fire today demonstrating and shooting two groups. Hoping for a day off school tomorrow to work in the reloading room on ammo production and dry practice. Defensive Pistol class screwing up the schedule tomorrow most likely.

Top Bottom