• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Who here saves dryer lint ? I have been hoarded it for a few years now, I think it makes a great tinder...got a bag in my camper, blazer and bug out bag. How about you?

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Stuff works great with a flint and steel. Well worth saving but can get outta control REALLY FAST LOL...I have put it with saw dust and candle wax for a starter either way it does the job

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    By itself I have found it's not that great. Try rolling it into cotton ball size and impregnating them with vaseline.

This. MUCH easier.

I just put cotton balls in a ziplock along with a dollop of vaseline. I spend about 5 minutes massaging it into the cotton balls. To create a firestarter, remove one cotton ball, rip it apart so there are cotton fibers sticking up and hit it with a firestarter. Fires right up and burns pretty hot for a minute or two.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    This. MUCH easier.

I just put cotton balls in a ziplock along with a dollop of vaseline. I spend about 5 minutes massaging it into the cotton balls. To create a firestarter, remove one cotton ball, rip it apart so there are cotton fibers sticking up and hit it with a firestarter. Fires right up and burns pretty hot for a minute or two.

This is a great idea Im going to try this method

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I use the cotton balls with vaseline. Then fold a piece of foil around it and flatten it out. The beauty of that is that it's completely waterproof but also when you infold it, the ball sticks to the foil. You can fluff it up and light it and then carry the foil to put under your tinder. This is helpful when you need to light out of the wind or when you want to build your tinder teepee and then slide the foil with ball underneath the whole thing.

For dryer lint, i break off small pieces about the siZe of 3 cotton balls and seal them in tiny foodsaver bags that i custom cut. One ends up being the size of a silver dollar and almost as flat. Fits in an altoid tin.

But mostly i have bic's and zippos. I help teach at a survival school and if you spend much time doing bow drills, you'll make sure you have a lot of bic's stashed everywhere if you go into the woods for real :)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We save it for BOB's. I've tested successfully multiple times with a firestarter. My son has one in his day pack for scouts. He's used it a number of times without issue, while out on excursions at BSA camp events... there's almost always one stage that requires making fire at each event.
    I like that it compresses tightly, and is lightweight. Pull out a swatch, fluff it up, and good to go.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    This. MUCH easier.

You can also jam it all into a toilet paper tube.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I melt a box of paraffin in a double boiler and mix in as much lint as possible until the mixture is a fuzzy sludge and then pack it into toilet paper rolls. Once it hardens I slice it into 1" blocks. Lights right up.

Top Bottom