• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    STHUMeans don't answer any questions, none,nada, especially on the internet.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Just curious, but what "crime" did you actually commit?

Sounds like it was driving while "above" the legal limit...

A lot of times I hear people say things like, "I got pulled over for speeding... and they dropped the speeding charges once they found I was drunk." Did you actually injure anyone or their property?

Not sure how that factors into his being over the legal limit while operating his vehicle...

I see one of the posters above believes you did something so wrong you're not capable of making responsible decisions ever again. What crime was so horrible for that to happen?

Opinions are great, everyone's got 'em... The crime was operating his vehicle while over the legal limit. Didn't sound like he had any add on charges for causing any mayhem, just for what laws he actually broke.

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I may be in the minority but losing your ltch would be well deserved. You shown irresponsible decision making buy consuming alcohol then getting behind the wheel to drive but yet you would like the state to believe you can make responsible decisions while carrying.

Comfortable in unsealing that Ohio conviction you didn't disclose on your LTCH application?

I'd like to take a look if you're ok with that.

Cause no one makes mistakes. Right?

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Just curious, but what "crime" did you actually commit?

A lot of times I hear people say things like, "I got pulled over for speeding... and they dropped the speeding charges once they found I was drunk." Did you actually injure anyone or their property?

I see one of the posters above believes you did something so wrong you're not capable of making responsible decisions ever again. What crime was so horrible for that to happen?

To clarify at no time did I say op was incapable of ever making a responsible decision again and all for second chances when it's proven it's desevered However recently by his own admission he was willing to get behind a 3000lb machine intoxicated and endanger those around him compounded he was intoxicated while possessing a firearm. That alone I believe is enough for the State to relook at his ltch. As to what crime how bout the one that kills approx 11,000 Americans each year.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    The crime was operating his vehicle while over the legal limit. Didn't sound like he had any add on charges for causing any mayhem, just for what laws he actually broke.
    Huh.

This is really interesting to me because I know a lot of gun owners who routinely "break the law" by carrying their firearms into prohibited places. They do so because they assert their right to self defense trumps the state's authority to deny it. They posit they're not infringing on anyone else's liberties by doing so and often, "minding their own damn business."

Yet, here we are on a public forum, and many of these same "law breakers" who believe you have the right to break the law when carrying a gun, do not believe that same logic applies when the combination of operating a motor vehicle and enjoying alcohol applies.

Why the difference? Is there "more risk" in one than the other? And, if that's your position, how on earth do you look anti-gunners square in the face and deny you're at no more risk than they are when it comes to shooting up the place?

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Comfortable in unsealing that Ohio conviction you didn't disclose on your LTCH application?

I'd like to take a look if you're ok with that.

Cause no one makes mistakes. Right?

No reason to look Ill tell I was 18 pushed my mother plead guilty of domestic voilence waited till I was 32 to seek expungement and had never been in trouble again and had completed a bachelors graduating with honors while raising 3 kids as a single father. Went through a process to show I deserved a second chance rather than expecting it

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    expungement
    Funny thing about the government is they'll tell you to get an expungement "so it's like it never happened and you don't even have to report it or anything" but then when it comes time to report those things they get mad when you don't.

"We see here you have a criminal record."

"I got it expunged."

"Well, question 72 clearly asks if you've EVER been convicted of..... "

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OP, as far as you losing your privileges, ultimately, to carry, you will not. However, if you are convicted and placed on probation, you will most likely lose your ability to carry, or even keep a firearm in you home. It's VERY optimistic to think a lawyer can help change, what is a STANDARD condition of probation, and what was designed to protect probation officers. If you're going to hire a lawyer, hire one squared away in successful OWI defenses, as you are much less likely to get a probation condition changed, than win your overall case.

Kut (is a former long time probation officer)

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    This is really interesting to me because I know a lot of gun owners who routinely "break the law" by carrying their firearms into prohibited places. They do so because they assert their right to self defense trumps the state's authority to deny it. They posit they're not infringing on anyone else's liberties by doing so and often, "minding their own damn business."
    You may want to suggest they not post about that in an open forum.

Yet, here we are on a public forum, and many of these same "law breakers" who believe you have the right to break the law when carrying a gun, do not believe that same logic applies when the combination of operating a motor vehicle and enjoying alcohol applies.
    Perhaps your referenced law breakers are less inclined to give approval in instances where a degree if impared judgement is implied. The OP's question was how it affected his LTCH after a DUI. From the sound of it, the general consensus is lawyer up, stop posting about it, and don't repeat the behavior that put you in that position.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I would not hire Guy Relford for a DUI! You may as well go with the public defender. The first clue that you have hired the wrong Attorny is when he tells you I have a great plea deal for you. Who ever you hire you better ask how many Dui jury trials they had in 2015. If the answer is none you have the wrong attorney. Good luck with the Dui. You should be ok with your carry permit as long as you don't have other problems. Sir you don't hire an orthopedic surgeon to do open heart surgery do you? Same difference with attorneys. You need an attorney that does Dui day in day out. Do not settle for anything less than a jury trial or something less than a Dui.

Last edited:

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    impared judgement is implied.
    Here we go again.

Are we really sure we want the state to be the "judge" of our judgement? I'd like to remind you there are folks out there who think carrying a gun all day makes you paranoid and a mental health risk. That even having a gun on your person makes you more likely to shoot people (including yourself) and you shouldn't have the right to own a gun - much less carry one - if you think you can't go outside your door without it on your hip.

Who are they to assume that about us?

Yet here we are, on a gun forum, saying we have the right to judge peoples' ability to make decisions and complete actions based on what "might" happen. "You might crash your car if you drink alcohol before driving." Sure, that's correct. But that's too close to, "You might shoot someone if you carry a gun."

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Are we really sure we want the state to be the "judge" of our judgement?

I am sure I want to never give the state a reason to measure my imparement.

I'd like to remind you there are folks out there who think carrying a gun all day makes you paranoid and a mental health risk. That even having a gun on your person makes you more likely to shoot people (including yourself) and you shouldn't have the right to own a gun - much less carry one - if you think you can't go outside your door without it on your hip.

Who are they to assume that about us?

Yet here we are, on a gun forum, saying we have the right to judge peoples' ability to make decisions and complete actions based on what "might" happen. "You might crash your car if you drink alcohol before driving." Sure, that's correct. But that's too close to, "You might shoot someone if you carry a gun."
    Is this a "you'll shoot your eye out" thread now? Unless the OP states otherwise, he was not forced to consume that which caused him to go over the legal limit. It appears it was a willful lapse in judgement for which he is experiencing consequences.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I may be in the minority but losing your ltch would be well deserved. You shown irresponsible decision making buy consuming alcohol then getting behind the wheel to drive but yet you would like the state to believe you can make responsible decisions while carrying.

To clarify at no time did I say op was incapable of ever making a responsible decision again and all for second chances when it's proven it's desevered However recently by his own admission he was willing to get behind a 3000lb machine intoxicated and endanger those around him compounded he was intoxicated while possessing a firearm. That alone I believe is enough for the State to relook at his ltch. As to what crime how bout the one that kills approx 11,000 Americans each year.

No reason to look Ill tell I was 18 pushed my mother plead guilty of domestic voilence waited till I was 32 to seek expungement and had never been in trouble again and had completed a bachelors graduating with honors while raising 3 kids as a single father. Went through a process to show I deserved a second chance rather than expecting it

Indiana Constitution, Article I, Section 32

The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.[1]

United States Constitution, Second Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Do you have any idea in the universe what a right is, as opposed to a conditional or revocable privilege?

Top Bottom