• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Way back when I first got my LTCH, I went out to get a .45. I ended up buying a Megastar (12 round double-stack) from Galyan's (RIP). I also purchase an Uncle Mike's belt holster.

Shortly after, my friends and I headed to the pork festival and I carried my new handgun, in my new holster, on my surplus web belt. I learned a valuable lesson about belt buckles that day.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    After messing with it for some time, I had successfully gotten the slide to lock open on my dad's Steyr M1912 WWII bring back. Problem was, now I couldn't get it back into battery.

Figuring out what the stripper clip of bullets would do if I slid them down into the open chamber (without actually doing it because I knew this would load the gun and then I would certainly be in trouble), I reluctantly used my thumb to press down on the bullet shaped piece in the bottom of where the bullets went and WHAM! Now my thumb was caught in the closing slide like a yote's leg in a trap.

After about what seemed an hour, I figured out how to free my bloody thumb with only one hand. It was about 20 years later (when I was 27) when I first shot that gun...

images

OUCH! I couldn't image trying to get my thumb out with one hand!

Dumbest thing I have done was lighten my buckmark trigger down to about 1lb. First time I went to shoot it I shot as soon as I put my finger on the trigger. It's a good thing I had good trigger finger control and the round still went down range, but it did startle me quite a bit! I have since then have returned the trigger to its normal pull weight.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I just did something REALLY dumb...

I just spent an hour in my basement trying to fix the sticky bolt on my Mosin before I meet Skywired at Elwood Conservation Club. During that process was a lot of de-cocking, which with a Mosin, you put pressure on the striker with your thumb and pull trigger (always on empty chamber, no exceptions).

Well I eventually gave up until I can get the right products, so i went upstairs to pack for the range trip. I grabbed and unloaded my Marlin 25 bolt action .22 and thought, "Maybe I can decock this one like the Mosin?" So I put my thumb on top of the striker and squeezed the trigger...

PAIN!

Idiot me forgot there is a deep groove in the striker and it sucked my thumb pad into the machined receiver. Gave me a nice (small) curved gash in the pad of my thumb, which proceeded to bleed immediately. By the time I set the gun down, I had blood on the gun, the floor, the case, and my pants.

Lesson learned.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Don't try to "John Wayne" a Winchester '94 30-30. After almost dropping the brand new rifle, I thought I broke 3 fingers. I did dislocate the middle finger though and had to pop it back into place.

The other dumb thing was lining up 5 starting fluid cans with a small flame beside them and shooting them with the AK.... at night. A.) I don't think I had any eyebrows for a couple weeks and 2.) we tripped the daylight sensor on the REMC nightlight behind the house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hmm, probably trying to push out the pins for the trigger in an AK...before removing the wire retention clip. Sure makes it easier if you take that off first.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Hmm... accidentally releasing the locked back slide of a 10mm semi-auto while my finger was in the ejection port...

or that little detente from the from takedown pin in an AR? Man, those are a drag to track down even in a small room. Ziiinnnnng!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hmm... accidentally releasing the locked back slide of a 10mm semi-auto while my finger was in the ejection port...

or that little detente from the from takedown pin in an AR? Man, those are a drag to track down even in a small room. Ziiinnnnng!

Lost one early spring. Had spare spring kit but looked for an hour...no joy. Wife found it a few weeks back in the sweeper. It was intact.
    Same thing for the slide and safety latch spring on a 1911. Elusive little buggers

Hitchhiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Tried aiming a pistol grip 12 gauge... Thankfully I didn't have to ask for two front teeth for christmas... but my teeth sure did hurt for a few hours, plenty of blood too :facepalm:

I watched a buddy of mine do exactly that about a month ago. I warned him not to. He didn't listen. :rolleyes:

Now for my story:
    It is well know that mosin nagants are capable of penetrating 1/2" plate mild steel. I wanted to find out if 1" was possible. Long story short: I was a bit too close, and the steel was apparently pointed squarely back at me. The bullet (147gr steel core) de-jacketed in the steel. The lead and steel core fused into the bottom of the crater. The jacket came back and hit me in the chest. Right over my heart. :eek: Scared the crap out of me. It only went about 1/4" into me, and bounced back off. It felt like getting shot with a paintball gun at point blank range. I still have the Jacket and the plate. It did leave a hell of a crater in the steel plate, as well a a scar over my heart. :D

Ahhh, the days of young stupidity. That was just about the last time I ever did anything remotely like that.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole

Worse than M1 thumb?

Had that happen with my Megastar. HUGE sinking feeling since Star is long gone.

jacob.white27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Spencer, In
    I was cleaning my rifle while watching my 3yro child...I kept thinking where did i put these parts...then realized she was helping me clean on the floor behind the couch...man i was going crazy wondering where I could have dropped those parts

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    In homage to the "Dumbest things you have said" thread, I give you the:

Dumbest thing you have DONE with a gun, thread.

I will start. Today, I had to answer the call of nature. Hate public bathrooms, but I had no choice, know what I mean?

So I stand up, hike up my pants. just about as they get near my waist..

Well, let's just say the Bersa does NOT fire when dropped a couple feet onto tile :ugh:
    Same EXACT situation but with a Colt Delta Elite 10mm... Thought I was gonna be able to get a job in a harem (eunich get it ????:))...
    Worst part was the blem on the grip safety.

Top Bottom