• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmyMP

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Fred Paris's republik of Franklin
    let see today takes the cake... I had my buddy transport my firearms for me.... I picked them up at an auction.... and he got pulled over doing 75 in a 70 the police officer say the gun safe in the back and searched the car and arrested him for carrying my pistol in his car with no LTCH... im wondering why the auction let him buy it? Stupid me..... there goes 4 more guns i have paid for and never truely owned

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    let see today takes the cake... I had my buddy transport my firearms for me.... I picked them up at an auction.... and he got pulled over doing 75 in a 70 the police officer say the gun safe in the back and searched the car and arrested him for carrying my pistol in his car with no LTCH... im wondering why the auction let him buy it? Stupid me..... there goes 4 more guns i have paid for and never truely owned

This sounds like a HUGE fail, due to the fact that guns can be taken from the place of purchase to home without an LTCH.

I assume an auction provides receipts. That should be sufficient proof to an officer of the law of the validity of transport.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by ArmyMP

This sounds like a HUGE fail, due to the fact that guns can be taken from the place of purchase to home without an LTCH.

I assume an auction provides receipts. That should be sufficient proof to an officer of the law of the validity of transport.

No kidding!

You should make a thread about this. I would be interested to hear was "those in the know" on the board have to say...

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Uh Oh, I have a doozy

This is by far my most embarrassing moment in my entire life. When I was 16 I was duck hunting some ponds. Sneaking through the brush, I was hoping to jump some greenheads off and get a shot. I snuck through the brush that was thick on the bank of one pond and there were a few ducks dabbling in the water. I poked my barrel through the brush, drew a bead on one and fired off. Yep. I shot someones decoys. He yelled at me and got up from where he was hunkering in the brush. I waded over to him and apologized profusely and offered to pay for his decoys. He was mad, of course, but he didn't beat me down with his gun butt like I deserved. Very gracious. I was young and dumb and sure learned a lesson that day.

Critical_Will

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    NWI
    Dumbest thing i've done with a gun: When I showing a friend who had never handled a firearm in his life how to shoot, and he was about to fire when he stopped to ask a question and he swept me with the front of the barrel... i immediately grabbed the gun and pointed it away :rolleyes:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    When I was 15 and got my first 10/22 I thought it would be a good idea to take it apart completely... yes, the entire trigger assembly, every part that could get separated from another part was scattered around on a towel. That took me a good couple of hours to figure out. But hey, I learned alot and it was kind of fun.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN

didn't you basically set up a straw-man purchase by doing this anyway? :dunno:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    didn't you basically set up a straw-man purchase by doing this anyway? :dunno:

I don't see how. He didn't say that he bought the guns for the friend or for anyone other than himself. He just had the "buddy" transport the cars "home for [him]" which, to me, means to the buyer's home not the buddy's.

The situation, as I read it, is that he bought a bunch of guns but doesn't have a car/truck to lug them home. Puts them in buddy's car and asks buddy to run them to his (buyer's) home while buyer does something else (perhaps goes back to auction). Buddy gets stopped and the rest, as they say, is history.

Frankly, IMO, he should have gone along on the take-home-trip, but that still doesn't make it a "straw purchase."

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN

I don't see how. He didn't say that he bought the guns for the friend or for anyone other than himself. He just had the "buddy" transport the cars "home for [him]" which, to me, means to the buyer's home not the buddy's.

The situation, as I read it, is that he bought a bunch of guns but doesn't have a car/truck to lug them home. Puts them in buddy's car and asks buddy to run them to his (buyer's) home while buyer does something else (perhaps goes back to auction). Buddy gets stopped and the rest, as they say, is history.

Frankly, IMO, he should have gone along on the take-home-trip, but that still doesn't make it a "straw purchase."

well his post is confusing, but if you look closely it says "im wondering why the auction let him buy it?" which made me think that his buddy actually was the one who bought them for him

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana

It's a bit ambiguous.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I took some noobs shooting in my father-in-law's back yard. He lives in the country on 4 acres and has a shooting mound out there. So I was showing the noobs some gun safety pointers and thought I was doing a good job. We got done and I got a call from my father-in-law later that evening. Apparently one of the noobs dropped a live .22 on the ground and didn't bother to tell anyone. Luckily my father-in-law found it with his eyes instead of his mower!!!!

Lesson learned, tell the noobs to pick up EVERYTHING that falls on the ground. And if they can't find it in the grass, CALL FOR HELP!!!!

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Dumbest thing I have ever done with a gun.

When I was younger I thought I'd see if a glock 23C could be made to fire without the grip. It can. Actually very easily lol. I had the slide off the gun, mounted upside down in a vice pointing down range. and if you manipulate a couple of things it will shoot.

No one was hurt, not even the Glock, At the time I thought it was cool and I even use to brag that a glock will shoot even while missing half of it's parts . But now that I look back on it I realize it was a very immature, unsafe, retarded thing to do.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    When I was young I would go shooting my 10/22 and my Dad would tell me to clean it. I'd pretend like I did sometimes and put it away. Then the gun started to FTE, etc. I should have listened!

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Didn't actually do this with a gun, but, once upon a time in my younger days I wondered to myself "Hmmm.... wonder if I can melt the bullet off a .22 round with a lighter..."

So, holding the casing between my left thumb and forefinger, and the lighter in my right hand, I discovered rather quickly the heat-activated kinetic energy stored inside a .22 round. "....oh, that's what happens!"

Fortunately, no blood came of it, though I was a bit shaken up by the experience. Also, fortunately, neither of my parents were home at the time (which, had they discovered my little experiment, I would have fared much worse, I'm sure).

I did find it interesting how the shell casing ripped apart, as well as how the bullet remained nearly unaffected.

:facepalm: Note to self: fire and ammo don't mix.

Top Bottom