Dumbest thing you have ever done with a gun and learned a lesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Three years. THREE YEARS you have waited to make you first post. And that's what you went with?!

Teaching her must have been a really big mistake!

I guess he has now officially joined the race to 50, but I'm not sure if he will live long enough at this pace.

edit: Ignore my now lame joke, more information posted by others while I was typing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Teaching her must have been a really big mistake!

I guess he has now officially joined the race to 50, but I'm not sure if he will live long enough at this pace.

edit: Ignore my now lame joke, more information posted by others while I was typing.

Same here. Should've hit "refresh" before I posted. :):

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I left a loaded 1911 laying on a shelf under the range bench. Went back the next day and someone had taken it to the office. It was still loaded...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My dumbest thing was with a Berretta PX4 Storm. Took it camping to shoot for the first time. It was a SA/DA, and the SA trigger pull was looooooooong. Fired my first shot, started to pull the trigger and when it didn't go bang when I expected it to, I started to raise the gun back up, thinking the trigger just hadn't reset. Stupid thing was that I left my finger on the trigger, and in the process of raising the gun up, it finally fired. Fortunately it was pointed in a safe direction, but it scared the crap outta me. I didn't keep the gun much longer after that, and haven't done anything that stupid or careless since (knock wood!).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had an almost. Woke up with a possum in the house staring at me from about two feet away. Snatched up my 1911 and was about to shoot when the idea of a possum nit stopping a .45 resulting in a hole in the floor and possum goo to clean up stopped me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had an almost. Woke up with a possum in the house staring at me from about two feet away. Snatched up my 1911 and was about to shoot when the idea of a possum nit stopping a .45 resulting in a hole in the floor and possum goo to clean up stopped me.

"I once shot a possum in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know." :joke:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :faint:

To soon DD.......:):

did you get your jammies back before you shot?

grouch-marx-eyebrows-o.gif

Attachments

• grouch-marx-eyebrows-o.gif
      grouch-marx-eyebrows-o.gif
      414.4 KB · Views: 3

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was six years old. My father had been hunting and when he got home he left the loaded Browning Auto 5 on the kitchen table. I picked it up and pointed it at my mother and said "hands up". My father quietly entered the room, spoke calmly to me to not point the gun at my mother and he slowly took the shotgun out of my hands and unloaded it. Thus began my firearms safety training for my father, as well as, me. About 5 years later we were visiting my great aunt and uncle's farm. My cousins came along. They are from a no gun family, even today. One of my cousins picked up a Winchester lever action rifle that my uncle kept behind the door of the kitchen. He pointed it at his brother. I took it away and started to jack out the rounds. The sound immediately drew the adults from the living room. My anti-gun aunt started to freak out at me, but my father said, "Let him explain!" I told them the story and avoided a big spanking.

My worst offense as an adult came shortly after I received a new accurized 1911 from gunsmith Jim Clark. I always held the hammer back while dropping the slide of a bullseye 1911 with a trigger job (I still do it today). Anyway, Jim provided written instructions to hold the trigger back while dropping the slide on this new pistol. I attempted to follow the instructions. I had an AD and shot a hole in far end of the partition between shooting positions at the indoor range. I must have released the trigger upon releasing the slide and pulled the trigger again (I don't recall consciously doing it). I went back to my tried and true method of holding the hammer back while dropping the slide on bullseye pistols.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am not saying this isn't a great thread or that some stuff shouldn't be posted (for reasons to come) or anything else. I love honesty and humility, I do however feel compelled to say please remember it's not just us who can see this but rather anyone and everyone can see it indefinitely.

It's not the first thread we've had like this I know! Carry on!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I was carrying my Ruger P95 and my wife's Kahr CM9 to the safe... in the same hand... and as I reached in to set them on the shelf, her's slipped and landed barrel-up on the frame of the safe. Fortunately, it didn't go off, but it left a nasty scar in her poylmer frame. She was upset to say the least.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Mine isn't near as bad as some of the above. All of mine involve hunting scenarios and no one being in danger other than my pride.

ML season-added powder to gun but forgot bullet. Pulled trigger on doe and only heard a primer. Swore it would never happen again. Well, it did. a week later. And not only that, my 2 friends watched it happen and the deer run off.

Firearm season-New 1894 w/ crossbolt safety. The first and still to this day, the only non-typical deer I have ever seen in the woods walks to me 35 yards away. Cocked hammer, pulled trigger....click. Deer runs away 35 more yards, now at 70yds he stops, turns around and stares at me. By this time I had racked another round in the chamber thinking dud. Pulled trigger....click. That's when I figured out the only appropriate time to NOT have your safety on. Now my safety stays off if its legal light unless I'm climbing.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I was well trained in gun safety by my BIL at around age 11 or 12, and can honestly say I have never had an AD or ND in 60+ years of shooting. However I did purchase one shotgun in the early 60's that just about beat me to death. Mind you, I am a little over 6' 3" and weighed at the time about 220, and I have shot Hi-power Weatherby's, many other Hi-power rifles and handguns ~ but this was the worst balanced / kicking firearm I have ever shot. I think I paid about $20 for the gun, a single shot 12 gage break open Winchester. It had the tightest choke I have ever found and a very long barrel. After about a box of shells over a few week time, I found I was closing my eyes every time I fired it, and my shoulder was heavily bruised, so I quit using it.

I was telling a friend about it when he said "I can shoot anything without a problem". He was an ex golden gloves heavyweight boxer (State Champion of Alabama) weighed about 230 lb and stood about 5' 9". I sold it to him for $8. About a month later I asked him if he had shot it yet? He said, "Yep, that thing kicks like a mule, shoulder hurt for two days, I won't shoot it again". He then said he sold it to his brother for $5 (Brother had the same brag he had made "I can shoot anything").

I asked him what he had against his brother, he just grinned!

Top Bottom