Dumbest thing you have ever done with a gun and learned a lesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Well............Do you plan on finishing this story. You can't just leave us hanging. Or maybe you can.

:p

Seriously, I can't remember how old we were, but pretty young, early teens i would guess, back in the 60's. My first rifle and being all boy, I just couldn't keep my fingers off it.

To make a long story short, my lampshade was a jungle scene and that tiger was too tempting of a target. Sight carefully, squeeze trigger......KABOOM!

Brother asleep in the next room, mother runs in sees blood, assumes he's dead since he never woke up through all this. Turned out the bullet hit the bed post and a wood splinter stuck in his hand. Worse part was when he suddenly awoke to my mom screaming and running through the house yelling "Steve just shot Joe, he's dead", sees the blood on his chest from his hand and then he starts running around screaming "am I gonna die?". My dad never left his bedroom but kept yelling out through the closed door asking if he was dying?

We lived there for many more years until we left home after graduating and my mom never fixed the hole in the wall as a reminder. From then on I learned a huge lesson that I never forgot and gained a huge respect for firearms.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Made a guy nervous when we were riding in a car. He handed me a pistol and I thought "new gun, just brought it out to show me..." so I fondled it and pulled back the slide to find it was loaded!
    A few things happened here.... first of all I should dropped the mag first, second of all its good form to unload a gun before handing it to someone. If for some reason "unable" to unload it first, at least inform the person of the condition of the weapon. Not that it should ever be relied upon, but still good to give the person a heads up.
    There was no ND, always pointed in safe direction etc, but left room for a dangerous situation. ... and I felt stupid. You tend to remember those things!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I once 'cleared' a 10/22 rifle, pointed down range haphazardly and 'dry fired' only to be surprised when a round went off into the dirt about 20 ft. in front of me. Not really sure if the casing had maybe stripped/missed extracting? the mag was out. From then on, I rack the bolt several times, and I aim at the target.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    In seventh grade spent the night at a kids house with parents who let them go out with guns unsupervised. I'd never been around guns until that day. I can still remember feeling nervous about things they were doing and looking back now someone could've easily been killed.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I did a trigger job on a Smith 625 once. I lightened up the trigger pull and return spring to much and when I was shooting a steel match (trying to go fast) I tried to fire without letting the trigger reset properly. Due (I think) to the return spring being so light. about the time I thought "What the heck is going on" I let the trigger forward far enough to reset and BANG. I had lightened up the trigger pull so much that before I realized the hammer was even moving the shot broke. The shot went in the ground about 6' in front of me. Bout wet my pants.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    For target shooting with a 1911, you need a number of mags. 7 or 8 rds go bang pretty fast, and your loading mags all day. I loaded up 6 or 8 and they were assorted 7 and 8 rd capacity. Set up targets, rolled out on cable. All clear, commence firing. Cease fire, reload, repeat. Check targets-replace or tape over. After a volley of 5 or 6 mags, firing stopped. Still had a loaded mag, must be bad round! Slide back, mag out, finger in breech-no round. Turned around popped a dowel round through the barrel, no stuck bullet!
    A guy's girlfriend walks over, taps my shoulder, and hand me 7 rounds of 45 ACP, spring, mag follower, baseplate. Looked at mag, had broken off baseplate. All okay except mag trashed. Wow, never occurred to me that gun was unloaded. FYI: Was a standard Colt factory mag. I use Wilson Rogers, and CMC without any issues. Still have some WW2 mags that work perfect.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    In college I bought my first shotgun at a pawn shop and my friend was going to borrow it for deer hunting. I bought a scope mount and put a cheap scope on it. Went to sight it in out at another friends farm. Alone. Loaded a slug and pulled the trigger. I wear glasses and had my eye too close to the scope and the recoil slammed the scope into my right lens and into my right eye.

Wont do that again. Took me a few minutes to find my lens and a few more minutes to stop the bleeding. Pretty sure I soiled myself too.

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    When I was about 10 or 11, I went shooting with a friend and his father. It was a .22 revolver, and probably only the second time I had ever fired anything. I was having trouble staying on target (we were shooting cans), and at the last moment took my 'free' hand off the grip and grasped the pistol barrel, covering the front of the cylinder. My friend's dad screamed 'NO!' just as I pulled the trigger. Thank goodness it was only a .22. I got away lucky with just powder burns. Can't remember if I hit the can, though...

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Sold a Dan Wesson commander bobtail for 350$ because I was unemployed, dead broke, and needed a tooth fixed.

Aint a day goes by I don't kick myself in the (_*_) for that maneuver. :(

Hard to even admit I did it. :n00b:

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I have two. I'm in the habit of racking the slide a few times on my handguns after cleaning/lubricating. Got careless one time, not paying attention, and started racking as I carried one back to the safe. I had already put the mag back in and was leaving a trail of .45 behind me through the house. I had it pointed in a safe(as safe as you can get inside) and my finger off the trigger, but it was still a wake up call that I was getting too complacent.

I was out sighting in some new slugs in a 870 and one round didn't chamber easily. Instead of stopping and figuring out what the deal was,I slammed it home and fired. Flames blew out the receiver, powder brushed my face and arm and the shell was on fire in the chamber. After getting what was left of the melted shell out of there and inspecting it, it looked like it had been caught on a part of the receiver and when I slammed it home it put a deep score down the side of the shell. When I shot everything blew out that side. If it don't fit, don't force it was the lesson learned there.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Thankfully, I've never had a ND of a real firearm but...

One day at the range a younger guy (mid 20's) was admiring my Ruger GP 100. I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He said yes. I loaded up 6 rounds and handed it to him with the cylinder out to the side. He closed up the cylinder and pulled the revolver in close to his waist. I couldn't see what he was doing, but apparently he decided to thumb the hammer before lifting the gun up into shooting position.

He ended up sending a round into the ground about 6' in front of the firing line before the gun was even half way up. Scared the feces out of both of us, but I think he got the worst of it. I saw the dirt fly so I know he didn't shoot himself in the foot. My next concern was whether or not he burned himself with a misplaced hand too close to the cylinder gap. He didn't. The first thing he said afterwords is, "The trigger's pretty light after you cock it, isn't it?"

Lesson learned; Never assume that everyone at a gun range is familiar with all firearms. If anyone wants to shoot something of mine I (now) always make certain they are familiar with the operation of the firearm. Even if it is "just a revolver".

Lesson learned from INGO; Keep your booger-hook off the bang-switch until you are ready. For some reason people smile and seem to remember that one whenever they hear it.

Other story...when I was about 12 I had a little 13" black and white TV in my bedroom. I was playing with a BB gun pointing it at different things on the screen. I ended up shooting the tube. It left a little bulls-eye dot/crack just off center that I had to look at for years every time I watched it. Yes, it was a Daisy Red Ryder.

Lessons learned early are the longest lasting.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thankfully, I've never had a ND of a real firearm but...

One day at the range a younger guy (mid 20's) was admiring my Ruger GP 100. I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He said yes. I loaded up 6 rounds and handed it to him with the cylinder out to the side. He closed up the cylinder and pulled the revolver in close to his waist. I couldn't see what he was doing, but apparently he decided to thumb the hammer before lifting the gun up into shooting position.

He ended up sending a round into the ground about 6' in front of the firing line before the gun was even half way up. Scared the feces out of both of us, but I think he got the worst of it. I saw the dirt fly so I know he didn't shoot himself in the foot. My next concern was whether or not he burned himself with a misplaced hand too close to the cylinder gap. He didn't. The first thing he said afterwords is, "The trigger's pretty light after you cock it, isn't it?"

Lesson learned; Never assume that everyone at a gun range is familiar with all firearms. If anyone wants to shoot something of mine I (now) always make certain they are familiar with the operation of the firearm. Even if it is "just a revolver".

Lesson learned from INGO; Keep your booger-hook off the bang-switch until you are ready. For some reason people smile and seem to remember that one whenever they hear it.

Other story...when I was about 12 I had a little 13" black and white TV in my bedroom. I was playing with a BB gun pointing it at different things on the screen. I ended up shooting the tube. It left a little bulls-eye dot/crack just off center that I had to look at for years every time I watched it. Yes, it was a Daisy Red Ryder.

Just curious, did it hit whoever was on screen at the time in the eye?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Oh, well, if we're including BB gun incidents, I shot the sliding glass door with a BB gun when I was 11. Apparently I didn't give much thought about what's behind the target. Amazing lie I came up with to avoid punishment. It really should have worked.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll tell on my family...

In my brother's bedroom, he had an ashtray in which he had a bit of black powder in it. Now, he claims it was his ashtray and mom had no business using it to put out her cigarette. Mom, of course, disagreed. I guess the flash caught her by surprise.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I gave a buddy a grip plug for his glock. I was installing it for him and it was pretty tight so I flipped the gun over and while trying to get leverage, my thumb hit the trigger.... with the muzzle pressed into my chest. Thank God there was only a click. I had NOT checked the gun, but it was empty. To this day, I don't think he or my wife know it happened.

As soon as I felt that click, my stomach was in knots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I gave a buddy a grip plug for his glock. I was installing it for him and it was pretty tight so I flipped the gun over and while trying to get leverage, my thumb hit the trigger.... with the muzzle pressed into my chest. Thank God there was only a click. I had NOT checked the gun, but it was empty. To this day, I don't think he or my wife know it happened.

As soon as I felt that click, my stomach was in knots.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo buddy. Just not your day to die.

Top Bottom