• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The price won't drop until the supply grows. As long as people keep buying ammo at these prices, these prices are going no where. It's just that simple.

I'm not sure ammo is being hoarded as much as it is being resold for profits on Facebook, Craigslist, and other local outlets. ALL the ammo I have bought in the last two months has been from individuals selling off some of their own personal surplus.

Stop buying it retail and you will see the prices come back down and the inventory levels increase....until that happens, good luck.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    So whats the problem with M.Guns buying ammo up that is perfectly available and legal to do and reselling it? They are a business and are trying to turn a profit. Just like all businesses...

Is this not Murica'?

FTR: Ive never been to their store and could care less about them.

There are only a handful of places to buy guns/ammo in Muncie. This one particular retailer has repeatedly cleaned the shelves of competitors at normal prices, with the sole purpose of gouging the local consumers. That's pretty shady IMO....my money will be better spent elsewhere.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What's wrong with it? Nothing illegal. Just completely immoral from a decent person's point of view.

If you want to keep the price of .223 at $1 a shot, a bulk box of .22lr's at $60, and a 50 round box of 380 at $45, then there is nothing at all wrong with it. But as soon as people start finding that ammo elsewhere and McGalliard doesn't have their fingers in Dunhams' stock, that price will decrease, as I'm sure even yourself would like to see.

Okay, but you're forgetting one very important thing: if it's financially profitable to do this, then people are still buying the ammo at the "inflated" prices from LGS #2.

Does nobody understand the principles of economics? Supply and DEMAND? I keep seeing all this nonsense suggesting that if LGS #2 didn't buy from LGS #1 and mark it up, then prices would go back down. That's like saying ATM will stop liking bacon if it's stopped being made. Honestly.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It is the buyers that are making all of this possible. Stop acting like nutbags lining up for every shipment of ammo to be unboxed and stop paying inflated prices to all the Ammo Zombies reselling in the classifieds, on social networks and Armslist.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Am I missing part of the equation? I would guess that if the LGS in question goes around and buys the ammo off the shelf for resale then it would be legal. But my understanding is that with family running the sporting goods section at said store, the LGS was working both sides of the equation. He had insider info on availability and was able to scarf up on the supply side due to family running the show and then gouging on the resell side. A bit unethical to be sure.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It is the buyers that are making all of this possible. Stop acting like nutbags lining up for every shipment of ammo to be unboxed and stop paying inflated prices to all the Ammo Zombies reselling in the classifieds, on social networks and Armslist.

Well, at least one comment in this thread makes sense. :)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The price won't drop until the supply grows. As long as people keep buying ammo at these prices, these prices are going no where. It's just that simple.

I'm not sure ammo is being hoarded as much as it is being resold for profits on Facebook, Craigslist, and other local outlets. ALL the ammo I have bought in the last two months has been from individuals selling off some of their own personal surplus.

Stop buying it retail and you will see the prices come back down and the inventory levels increase....until that happens, good luck.

Hey Pistol, some folks do not have friends or contacts willing to sell off their personal stash. Since you do, and can access a supply that meets your need, you do not face the same challenged as others. I plan to attend an Appleseed next month. I need at least one brick of .22LR (two is recommended). I also want to have a supply if a friend decides to go with me. He is new to shooting, just now looking for a 10/22, so I may have to help if he decides to go.

No one on :ingo: in this area is willing (at least as far as I know) to share their personal stash with a stranger, even if he is on :ingo:. I have to buy ammo where it is available. Thus, I lined up for my ration at DIck's (may the wrath of God abide on them) because I needed it and the price was only $1.00 more than I paid at GM last July.

Perhaps you could persuade some of your well supplied friends to open up their stash for the brotherhood. Then we COULD stop buying retail. It would be a GREAT service to :ingo: if you would intervene on our behalf.

Bottom line: It is not as simple as you suggest. :)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Buying something from a retail outlet then reselling it as new at another retail outlet may just be against the law.

Why would this in any way be illegal?

I remember in the 1970 ~72 era when my brother and I were running a car sales and station - The distributor wanted about 10-20% more for motor oil than a local store was selling it for retail. We purchased cases of the oil and passed on the savings to the customer.

Almost every good business will try to buy inventory at the lowest cost to satisfy their customers and make a profit (making a profit is the ONLY way they stay in business). When items are not available through normal channels (distributor) or are higher than a local retailer they would be STUPID to not purchase it and sell it with a normal markup. :dunno::rolleyes:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What the manager did is probably a violation of a Dunham's rule. What the shop owner did is legal or at least I hope it is.

Who is the victim here?

Newsflash.... when the day comes I need more ammo I get to choose where I buy it and how much I'm willing to spend.

Some of you just don't get how supply and demand works. It's hilarious.

Newsflash #2... you are NOT entitled to fair ammo prices.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    This would explain the fact that this gun store has had ammo in stock long after most places shelves were completely bare. It also would explain the Dunhams price tags on some of their ammo, and the reason their prices were a good bit higher than mast other stores.

I have been in there on occasion, thought the prices that they had on anything I have been interested in were a good bit over what I would call reasonable.
    Like any other store, I have the right to not do business with them, or to do business, as do they with me. If the time ever comes that I need something, I will make every effort to steer clear of them, but if that is the only place I can find something I might need, I might be forced to deal with their high prices. Such is the way of the capitalist world.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    This would explain the fact that this gun store has had ammo in stock long after most places shelves were completely bare. It also would explain the Dunhams price tags on some of their ammo, and the reason their prices were a good bit higher than mast other stores.

I have been in there on occasion, thought the prices that they had on anything I have been interested in were a good bit over what I would call reasonable.
    Like any other store, I have the right to not do business with them, or to do business, as do they with me. If the time ever comes that I need something, I will make every effort to steer clear of them, but if that is the only place I can find something I might need, I might be forced to deal with their high prices. Such is the way of the capitalist world.

You're right, but don't forget their prices were ridiculous BEFORE the panic anyway. I go in to browse only with intentions to buy things at the right price, which leads me to doubt I will ever buy anything there. Then again this is true for most LGS. Some may "support local businesses" but I support myself, so I'll go with the best deals I can find, not the most convenient.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Because it isn't "new" if it has been purchased and carried out of the store. I'm not saying it is illegal, I don't know and doubt it is. But they are in my view, misrepresenting the product and that is sketchy.

Does ammo go through a metamorphosis once it passes the cash register? How does one go about selling used ammo that still loads just the same and goes bang?

The stretches that people will make to hate on "gougers".

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    You're right, but don't forget their prices were ridiculous BEFORE the panic anyway. I go in to browse only with intentions to buy things at the right price, which leads me to doubt I will ever buy anything there. Then again this is true for most LGS. Some may "support local businesses" but I support myself, so I'll go with the best deals I can find, not the most convenient.

You are correct, they have always had high prices, almost like a Gander Mountain substation. I stopped in the first time because its a new gun store. The few times I have stopped in since was more a curiosity thing for me, and the wife loves to look at guns, so we stop and look when we are in the area.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I plan to attend an Appleseed next month. I need at least one brick of .22LR (two is recommended). I also want to have a supply if a friend decides to go with me. He is new to shooting, just now looking for a 10/22, so I may have to help if he decides to go.

No one on :ingo: in this area is willing (at least as far as I know) to share their personal stash with a stranger, even if he is on :ingo:. I have to buy ammo where it is available.

I understand what you are saying. If this week has not been so nasty (weather) and the wife had not been sick, we would have shot the only brick of .22LR I had. Luckily I got a bulk box from Cambela's, thanks to the ammo find thread here. So my stress is lower. I'm in Avon, so a little far to help you out.

What you are facing is different than the hoarders and profit-seeking grabbers. Unfortunately, those with a job that keeps them from a store when the box is unpacked lose out. No easy answer except to keep trying through threads. I also asked many people to watch when they go shopping and if they see some, to buy it for me. I'll pay them back.

Top Bottom