• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Does ammo go through a metamorphosis once it passes the cash register? How does one go about selling used ammo that still loads just the same and goes bang?

The stretches that people will make to hate on "gougers".

Not hating on a gouger, they can do what they like. I haven't shot factory practice ammo in over a year. It will be several years before I need do so again.

Is this wrong? Maybe not, but how about a gun that someone bought, decided they didn't like, didn't shoot it and sold it back to the shop? Would they then be OK to say it is new? Magazines? Parts? Primers? Presses?

Just because someone who owns a store bought it, doesn't magically make it not used. I wouldn't buy something purchased at a retail store for resale at the same or higher price when I could go to that retail store and purchase it for, why would I do so if they hang a sign on the front door?

The practice is sketchy and if they are willing to do this, then that tells me what I need to know about the integrity of that store.

We are constantly being told that the "little guy" needs us to stop buying from the big box stores or online and patronize them because they provide better service.
    Q: Pray tell, what exact service is this?
    A: Take away a customer's opportunity to purchase the product from someone else at a lower price, so this shop can make money.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not hating on a gouger, they can do what they like. I haven't shot factory practice ammo in over a year. It will be several years before I need do so again.

Is this wrong? Maybe not, but how about a gun that someone bought, decided they didn't like, didn't shoot it and sold it back to the shop? Would they then be OK to say it is new? Magazines? Parts? Primers? Presses?

Just because someone who owns a store bought it, doesn't magically make it not used. I wouldn't buy something purchased at a retail store for resale at the same or higher price when I could go to that retail store and purchase it for, why would I do so if they hang a sign on the front door?

The practice is sketchy and if they are willing to do this, then that tells me what I need to know about the integrity of that store.

We are constantly being told that the "little guy" needs us to stop buying from the big box stores or online and patronize them because they provide better service.
    Q: Pray tell, what exact service is this?
    A: Take away a customer's opportunity to purchase the product from someone else at a lower price, so this shop can make money.

I was speaking specifically about ammo which appeared to be what you were addressing. As far as labeling a never fired returned gun? I guess if its been received by the dealer from the wholesaler, removed from the box, put into the display case and handled by the first customer, it's now used?

Day after day, I read people *****ing about gougers, flippers, hoarders, etc. so what's the answer here that everyone is seeking? Government ensured fairness? People here will gladly support ffl licenses to prevent gouging. They do so under the guise of "following the law". The truth of the matter is they will gladly support unconstitutional gun laws if they think it will save them a buck on a box of ammo or a gun.

Nobody has a right to shop at Walmart. Nobody has a right to buy ammo at Walmart prices in any caliber they want every time they go to the store. Yes, the current gun market sucks. But every government regulation exists because the first person *****ed about a perceived injustice. The inevitable government intervention wl be far worse than paying $50 for a bulk pack of 22. But those whose only ammo supply is what they pick up at Walmart on the way to the range don't care. They want someone to make it fair now.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was speaking specifically about ammo which appeared to be what you were addressing. As far as labeling a never fired returned gun? I guess if its been received by the dealer from the wholesaler, removed from the box, put into the display case and handled by the first customer, it's now used?

So that didn't really answer my Q.

As for your supposition of a gun that has never left the seller's premise, no, it is not used. What is it about an item leaving the control of the retail store can't you comprehend? There is a difference.

Sure, supposing that the box of ammo is purchased, unmolested and placed on the shelf in the new store, it is as good as new. That does not make it new. Person's willing to do this are unethical, I can easily determine that if someone in the INGO classifieds is selling ammo that I'm on my own as to the condition of that ammo. I would make sure I spot-checked the ammo in front of that person to make certain I am getting factory ammo as stated on the box. If retailers are unethical enough to buy and resell, then you have to question what other unethical practices they would partake. It is a trust thing.

Note, I have not, nor have I ever said that someone shouldn't be able to charge what they want for a product they are selling. I do want to have a reasonable assurance that a retailer who is selling a new product is actually selling a new, from the distributor, product and not something he picked up on his way in to work from another retailer or who knows where else.

If you are going to lecture me again about how capitalism rocks and I don't have a right to blah blah blah, just save your time. Price is irrelevant to what I'm saying and if you can't see that, there is no hope for this conversation.

:dunno:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I am taken aback when I see how fast people turn on those who supply those things we want and need for our sport. Maybe we should outlaw all "big box" sporting goods stores, eh ? Just make it law that only "mom and pop" stores are allowed ? Yea, that's a good idea. Once we take those evil big business guys out of it, it's bound to get better for us, isn't it ? Those little mom and pops will be in a much better position to lobby for us than some mega million sporting business won't they ?
    My Mom and Dad went thru WW2 not being able to buy tires and all the gas they needed. They made it. They participated in steel drives, my Dad talked about harvesting milkweed pods for life preservers for the war effort. They made it. And we WON"T make it because we couldn't go plinking last weekend ? Really ? We have gone soft. How may people complaining missed a registered shoot or some other competition due to not having ammo ?
    Who's worse, the guy selling .22 bricks for $80 or the guy who paid that for them ? It's quite simple, don't like the price ? DON'T PAY IT ! This will pass, but eating our young sure as hell won't fix it. Do you not think that somewhere in the bowels of this Administration there are not people watching this and licking their chops over our division ?
    "I have seen the enemy, and he is Us " -- Pogo.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Okay, but you're forgetting one very important thing: if it's financially profitable to do this, then people are still buying the ammo at the "inflated" prices from LGS #2.

Does nobody understand the principles of economics? Supply and DEMAND? I keep seeing all this nonsense suggesting that if LGS #2 didn't buy from LGS #1 and mark it up, then prices would go back down. That's like saying ATM will stop liking bacon if it's stopped being made. Honestly.

While supply and demand does have a lot to do with it, it's not everything. Economics and business is what it boils down to. Greed mostly. Dunhams didn't mark up the price, so technically, had the gun store not got it all before it went on the shelf, yes, logically people are going to go to Dunhams, see the price of .22lr at 25.99 per 555 box and buy it from there instead of the LGS that is selling it at 60.00 a box. (I did it myself about a month ago actually)

Thus forcing the LGS to either lower it's price or not make a sale (Sales have to be made in order to stay in business). It's a domino effect after that. It's how businesses compete to stay in business and the same reason most people buy their ammo from Dunhams, Wal-mart, etc.. Now, while I would like to support my local gun shop (obviously not going to since mine is complete crap) I would also like to have a reasonable price there. Maybe not as low as Wal-mart, Dunhams, etc., but I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more to support a small business that treats people right.

It's not anything like not liking something because it's not being made. Enjoying something is an emotion. Shooting is an action.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I'm just guessing how sweet it would be to have my brother as the sporting goods manager at the wally world and for him to call me/tip me off everytime they were stocking the shelves or meeting him in back to claim my ammo. Then I could resell on one of the boards....Capitalism at it's best!!!!! ;>)

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I totally understand supply and demand. I also understand that it's not against the law for them to do it. Moreover, I'm not even going to comment on whether or not it's the right or wrong thing for them to do.

However, I am going to say that it's amateur hour at that shop and things are ran pretty sloppy. I could go into a long story about my experience there recently, but it really doesn't matter because I will never set foot in that shop again. I was aghast at what I witnessed and experienced with them over the last week. Too bad for them because I'm a spender, not a tire kicker.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    :horse:

NotThisAgain.jpg

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any recommendations? I am in need of some things...
    montanagold
    Welcome

sns casting, they are 4-5 behind

shootersconnection has gotten zero's a few times over the last couple of months

primers are tougher, but putting wtb on here for 1k instead of 10k you might get lucky and find someone to sell you 1k

I have not looked for powder I was already ok on it

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Went to see what they had today. .22LR Federal bulk pack was marked $75.

Old guy working there was telling everyone who walked in that they were being accused of buying from Walmart and reselling, saying they didn't have the time to wait all day at Walmart for 3 boxes of ammo to show up.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Many gun shops in this area bought items on back order in January so they're on a list to receive pro-rata amounts of their ammo order as it trickles in to the distributor. Trickling in may mean that the distributor receives a pallet or two of an ammo to dole out to 100's of gun shops in a region. They try to be fair how it gets portioned out so it goes out a few cases at a time to fill a small part of every shop's back order. The gun shops limit the number of boxes a customer can buy until the few cases run out which is usually in a day or two of normal business and the prices are usually fair considering the times. Stores have overhead to pay. If they can't receive enough ammo to sell at the regular mark up, then they can't keep their doors open because they can't get any more fast enough because the short supply is being rationed by the distributors.
    And the shops that didn't put in a back order in January can't get any ammo from the distributor because it's all being doled out based on the previous back orders.
    How is a gun shop suppose to stay in business if they don't have enough ammo to sell? Or the distibutor?
    Should they all start selling pizza pies?
    That could justify raising prices if their other business is much too slow.
    And some must obtain ammo any way that they can.
    If it's a matter of their own survival, then most folks already know that it's a dog eat dog world, and cannibals out there too.

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm just guessing how sweet it would be to have my brother as the sporting goods manager at the wally world and for him to call me/tip me off everytime they were stocking the shelves or meeting him in back to claim my ammo. Then I could resell on one of the boards....Capitalism at it's best!!!!! ;>)

Its harder still then you would think. I have a close friend who is a Wally manager. He manages incoming shipments to the store and his wife is a store manager. All they can do is let me know when a skid arrives. They are prohibited from purchasing or selling until the sporting manager enters product in inventory. WalMart inventory and registers are so closely monitored that it is all but impossible to get stock out without it going thru the register or an employee being fired. Not saying it don't happen......but chances are good they will get caught if doing this very often.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Is it illegal? No. Is it wrong? Yes, absolutely. It's just being greedy if you ask me.

Buying something from a retail outlet then reselling it as new at another retail outlet may just be against the law.

WINNER WINNER CHICKER DINNER!!!

I don't know Indiana or ATF laws for reselling ammo retail to retail, but I do know the resale of alcohol related products retail to retail in Indiana is illegal.

IMHO I will never spend 1 dime @ a retail business if I know that they have done this, that is my right. I hope they get stuck with it and have to take a loss on it when the supply comes back around.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    This thread is less to do with gouging and more to do with the perception of a certain local gun shop! Morals/ethics whatever you want to call it, most on here and in te community have little regard for the practices of a certain LGS.

At the end of the day I remin myself "which LGS locally here haven't tried to gouge me" and Ill then shop there. It's ironic to me the whole saga from the day I was in McSports and heard this story of a certain shop coming in a cleaning their shelves off. Then hearing from another LGS that they attempted it as well.

In the end when all the craze is over and all the soccer moms have their guns then what for said Gun shop? Who knows and to be honest I don't care. I will just remember this and refuse to shop at these places!

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    This thread is definitely more about the shop's ethics than the gouging. A business major I know says that you can report shops that buy all the stock from competitors and resell it to the Better Business Bureau for unethical practices. I wouldn't do it but someone with experience and or proof may consider to file a complaint.

Top Bottom