• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I am currently working in Minnesota and have a non-resident MN License to carry. Minnesota is one of the states that has a duty to retreat law. They covered this as part of the training I had to take to apply for the license to carry. IANL, and because I'm not, this is an area that seems somewhat subjective to me. In these states that have the duty to retreat, I am not sure how they would establish that you in fact did retreat, or in some cases if there was no time for that. I will hopefully never be in such a situation, but I hope that if I ever am, it will be fairly obvious when deadly force is a reasonable response, because there probably won't be very much time to ponder the question without getting killed because of it.

I copied the following explanation from here: https://www.siebencotterlaw.com/criminal-defense-attorneys/minnesota-assault-self-defense-laws/

Acting in Self-Defense is a valid defense to an assault charge. It is important to know that in Minnesota you have a duty to retreat, prior to defending yourself or others. The Duty to Retreat means that you must attempt to retreat, where practical, from the threat before responding with reasonable force. Reasonable Force is responding with a level of force that is commensurate with the threat level perceived at the time. If you are defending yourself or other from a violent attack, even deadly force can be reasonable depending on the circumstances.

Top Bottom