• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Until they make it " idle only" and do away with the ignorant 10 HP limit, **** them!

Eagle Creek is roughly 1500 acres, as I recall, and I had to have my 225 jacked and tilted out of the water to avoid a ticket. 1500 acres is to big for trolling motor only. I hope the fish get big enough to eat sailboaters and democrats. I'll giggle, because they earned it by their meddling. Sail boat pond!

Bear in mind there are five main purposes for that body of water that I am aware of based on observed facilities:
    -Drinking water
    -Preventing downstream flooding (dam)
    -swimming (Eagle Creek Park Beach)
    -Sailboating
    -Rowing (Crew)

Anything else that happens like fishing, kayaking, etc is incidental.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Indy Metro Park Rangers are full police officers. There aren't very many of them, but we just hired like 8 or 10 and they are currently in field training.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I’ve never understood a HP limit, why not have a speed limit instead ?
    My BIL had to downsize the motor on the bass boat he bought to put it on the lake he lived on because it had a 100 HP limit.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Impoundments go in to:

Make money for property developers and the officials that decide who gets what.

After that you can take your pick.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Honest question.

So how hard is it to pull the prop on your big engine? To me a good compromise would be to pull the prop and allow a too large but unusable engine on the lake.

Or find a way to zip tie the prop like the cops do to our guns while entering the ramp and anyone caught without a zip tie coming out gets the fine. (or at least gets detailed scrutiny like testing the engine for heat that would indicate it had been turned over)

Just spitballing.

Edit: OR no spark plug. A dead and unusable engine should be allowed on the lake.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The article mentions that fishing license revenue will impact the stocking efforts of the reservoir. So . .. . . . . .they restrict the boaters/fishermen and license revenue goes down. Revenue goes down so they stop stocking fish. Fish populations go down so fishermen stop showing up.

Theory: Pressure from the sailboaters, paddle boarders,kayakers, and crew teams have successfully put pressure on the Indianapolis Parks Dept. The parks dept officials then bow to the most vocal segment, and those with the greatest financial resources and political influence, of those that use the reservoir. Net result - fishermen get hosed. Renewable energy watercraft owners now get to enjoy the water in the quiet solitude they prefer and are gleeful they were able to get the noisy obnoxious motorboaters off their water !

*Above theory subject to the possibility that some ass clowns were running their 20 ft Ranger Bass Boats with the 150-250 hp motors when they held their weekly impromptu bass tournaments thus creating havoc and causing big wakes that p*ssed off the above mentioned other users of the facility.

Hope my 15 hp cowl stickers donÂ’t fall off. I checked eBay and Amazon and can only find 9.9 hp stickers as replacements. The info on the motor could also suffer a loss as well I suppose - we all know how water causes glue ( and even rivets ) to soften and loosen things to the point of loss.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I thought I had heard that through a carb change, one could change a 9.9 to a 15 hp. May have been fishing shop lore though (much like gun shop lore). :):
    Necrobump given Amboy's recent new thread on the topic. I came across this searching for news articles. Apparently I missed this post when I commented in 2019.

This is correct, but AFAIK its only for the Evinrudes. Im sure others may have done it as well.

As a cost saving move, Evinrude produced a single engine for both the 9.9 and 15hp units. Literally the only difference between the two is the carb. You can switch a 1970s-80s Evinrude 9.9 to a 15 simply by installing a 15hp carb. (and VV if you are crazy) EVERYTHING is the same between the two engines. (except maybe the prop due to pitch differences?)

Which probably explains why there are still so many 40+yo 9.9s out there. They last forever because you cant get them up to full RPMs! Its like all of us 9.9 owners are driving them like a little old lady to and from church only. We cant possibly overload the engine and wear it out. :):

I actually started to buy a 15hp carb for mine. Then during checkout I realized I didnt NEED it, and I'd only be harming the motor's longevity. So I abandoned that project.

And somebody else mentioned sticker swaps, etc. If you did the carb swap (and prop swap (presumably) to have the right pitch), the likelihood that you'd have a ranger smart and thorough enough to bust you is highly unlikely. They'd have to be able to know the difference between the carbs and the correct prop pitch. And I dont see that much detail paid to it unless there was a fatality investigation. (or maybe a complaint from a well connected sailboat owner because you were hotrodding)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The public perception is that a 15hp is 50% more powerful (meaning vessel speed) than a 9.9hp. Not the case, in real world it would amount to a few mph increase in most vessels…

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The public perception is that a 15hp is 50% more powerful (meaning vessel speed) than a 9.9hp. Not the case, in real world it would amount to a few mph increase in most vessels…
    And in the case of my fully loaded 12' deep vee fishing boat, I create almost no wake when I'm on plane. motoring along at a "reasonable speed" creates a ridiculous wake for the size of the boat. (my daughter is very anxious and wont let me get up to speed when we fish there)

Top Bottom